• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Guilty of manslaughter but no sentence

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Guilty of manslaughter but no sentence

Hello,

I'm a law student at A-Level and our teacher has asked us to try and find out how it would be possible to kill someone, be charged with manslaughter, be found guilty but walk out of the court room and go home. I believe there is no minimum sentence however I'm not too sure.

If anyone could explain this to me I'd be grateful because I cant seem to find the answer online :/

Thanks!
    Tags: None

Originally posted by ShaunTwo View Post
    Hello,

I'm a law student at A-Level and our teacher has asked us to try and find out how it would be possible to kill someone, be charged with manslaughter, be found guilty but walk out of the court room and go home. I believe there is no minimum sentence however I'm not too sure.

If anyone could explain this to me I'd be grateful because I cant seem to find the answer online :/

Thanks!
    When have they asked you? How long have you been looking for the answer? Where have you looked?

I'm asking because I'm not wanting to defeat the object of your teacher, which is that you figure this out.

It's not a trick question by the way and the answer is more in legal process as opposed to the sentencing guidelines.
    COMPLETING AN N180 DIRECTIONS QUESTIONNAIRE (SMALL CLAIMS TRACK) GUIDE

My posts here are based on my experience of a variety of life events. I have no formal legal training & if in doubt take professional legal advice or contact CAB. If you follow anything I write here you do so at your own risk & I accept no liability for any loss, costs or other outcomes.

Private messages are disabled as help is only offered publicly. I do not come on here in the evening, at weekends or on public holidays.

Comment

They asked me yesterday and want the answer by tomorrow so I've been looking for a bit yesterday and today. I haven't looked too deep and have just skimmed over things I've found on google. I'm not too sure what to search as she rejected the answer being an unpaid work order or a fine as opposed to a sentence. I'm sort of thinking that the judge could say yes you're guilty but you don't deserve a punishment and let you go with no sentence. Is that possible?

Comment

Originally posted by ShaunTwo View Post
        They asked me yesterday and want the answer by tomorrow so I've been looking for a bit yesterday and today. I haven't looked too deep and have just skimmed over things I've found on google. I'm not too sure what to search as she rejected the answer being an unpaid work order or a fine as opposed to a sentence. I'm sort of thinking that the judge could say yes you're guilty but you don't deserve a punishment and let you go with no sentence. Is that possible?
        No, what happens when you are arrested and then charged for the offence?

My posts here are based on my experience of a variety of life events. I have no formal legal training & if in doubt take professional legal advice or contact CAB. If you follow anything I write here you do so at your own risk & I accept no liability for any loss, costs or other outcomes.

Private messages are disabled as help is only offered publicly. I do not come on here in the evening, at weekends or on public holidays.

Comment

Good answer jaguarsuk
          I'm just a softy. Maybe go look for sentencing council. It really isn't difficult to find the info I suspect you need and won't take much effort on your part! Hey you used your initiative and asked someone else, don't blame you.
          I am a qualified solicitor and am happy to try and assist informally, where needed.

Any posts I make on LegalBeagles are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as legal advice. Any practical advice I give is without liability. I do not represent people on the forum.

If in doubt you should always seek professional face to face legal advice.

Comment

Are you sure the teacher isn't planning something.....

Comment

not sure if it would be allowed now a days but a railway man , James Holmes, was found guilty of manslaughter (10 people died after a crash at Thirsk in 1892) and given an absolute discharge.

Comment

My thinking was convicted, sentenced and released having served the time on remand.

Comment

Corporate manslaughter - an organisation cannot be sent to prison.

Comment

Good reply from ANOTHERLEVEL

Comment

Originally posted by AnotherLevel View Post
                      Corporate manslaughter - an organisation cannot be sent to prison.
                      The CEO could be hanged retribution , Judge Jeffries did not get away scott free did he??

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                      Working...
                      X