• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

CMC bunker

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: CMC bunker

Sorry guys I'm not going to be able to make it, babysitters have gone off on holiday, and I need the other one for the 31st Soooooooooooooooo frustrating but such is life. Will be here waiting for the goss tho.
    #staysafestayhome

Any support I provide is offered without liability, if you are unsure please seek professional legal guidance.

Received a Court Claim? Read >>>>> First Steps

Comment

That's a shame Ame. Never mind, we'll call you during the morning break with any news for the site.

Comment

I'd love a bunk up to, but i can't make it either

Comment

Originally posted by EXC View Post
          I suggest we meet at the Strand Palace at 8.30 to drop off laptops in the bunker and have some breakfast in the coffee shop on the lower ground floor.

I've ordered a sandwich lunch for 12.00.

I'll try and find out if transcripts will be made available for the CMC.
          Are we not bringing our own sandwiches and having a picnic in the Courtroom then Exc ?

Comment

I spose we could ask the usher if we could get some pizzas deivered.

Comment

Just one day to go to the all important Case Management Hearing and I think it will be facsinating - potentially the most interesting and directional stage of the test case.

There are so many unanswered questions hanging in the balance, Here's what I believe are the most crucial:

1. Will gorgeous, pouting, Megan Murphy show up in something a little more feminine than a pair of cargo pants and an old gardening sweater?

2. Will anyone from CAG actually attend? Do they even know it's taking place?

3. Who'll be representing the OFT? My money's on Ant & Dec.

Comment

Originally posted by EXC View Post
                Just one day to go to the all important Case Management Hearing and I think it will be facsinating - potentially the most interesting and directional stage of the test case.

There are so many unanswered questions hanging in the balance, Here's what I believe are the most crucial:

1. Will gorgeous, pouting, Megan Murphy show up in something a little more feminine than a pair of cargo pants and an old gardening sweater?

2. Will anyone from CAG actually attend? Do they even know it's taking place?

3. Who'll be representing the OFT? My money's on Ant & Dec.
                It certainly will be interesting to say the least. Look forward to reading your updates EXC and once again thanks in advance.

Ant & Dec wouldn't that be a laugh.

Comment

I reckon Brucie would be good!

Play your cards right

Higher? Lower?

Comment

I am really looking forward to tomorrow as well.

Actually I did hear rumours that the OFT have appointed John Barrowman as their stand in QC. Well he seems to be doing everything else these days so it wouldn't be a big surprise.
                    Well either that or Simon Cowell and Piers Morgan hosting a one off special edition of "The OFT's Got Talent" to find a new Star Performer. Megan Murphy will be standing in for Amanda Holden who has a nasty cold.

I also heard that there will be a CAG representative at the Royal Courts of Justice. He will be wearing the "T shirt" shown below so should be quite easy to spot. Unfortunatly he won't be there for the CMC, he is planning to attend the Diana inquest.

Comment

For those of you who have no idea who Megan Murphy might be then here's a photo.

She is Law Courts Correspondant for the Financial Times and I hope she doesn't mind being referred to in this way "A top piece of "Totty"

Comment

That photo dosen't do her justice.

Here's what written today:

Banks to appeal against overdraft judgment

By Megan Murphy, Law Courts Correspondent
                        Published: May 21 2008 03:00 | Last updated: May 21 2008 03:00

Britain's largest retail banks are to appeal against a court ruling on overdraft charges in a move that could delay resolution of the closely watched case. Hundreds of thousands of consumers have sought refunds of fees charged for unauthorised overdraftsor bounced cheques.

Tomorrow eight high street lenders, including HSBC, Barclays and the Royal Bank of Scotland, will seek permission to appeal against a High Court judgment that the charges are subject to unfair consumer contract regulations.

The issue, while technical, is at the core of efforts by consumers to reclaim billions in overdraft and other fees. So-called "unpaid item" fees have ranged as high as £38 per transaction. If the charges are deemed to be subject to consumer regulations, the Office of Fair Trading would have the authority to cap the fees at a much lower level.

Analysts say this could cost the banks £10bn in lost revenue, potentially forcing them to impose surcharges on services such as ATM withdrawals and cheque-cashing to make up the shortfall.

The OFT is not expected to contest the banks' application to appeal against the High Court ruling, according to sources close to the litigation. It is also thought to be unlikely that Mr Justice Andrew Smith, who handed down the original judgment in April, will refuse permission, given the significance of the legal principles at stake. Individual compensation claims will remain on hold under an earlier agreement with the Financial Services Authority.

The OFT, which brought the test case in response to a deluge of consumer complaints, has yet to announce whether it believes the current level of overdraft charges is unfair, or what a "fairer" amount would be. However, observers have pointed to the regulator's decision to cap the fees levied on late credit card payments at £12 in 2006 as indicative of its view on the appropriate level of charges.

Consumer groups have consistently argued that overdraft fees are misleading, arbitrary and much higher than the cost of processing the transactions. The banking industry claims that the charges are a legitimate payment for services rendered, such as notifying customers of unpaid debits and taking the credit risk of granting an unauthorised overdraft.

Mr Justice Smith is also expected to set a date for further hearing on whether some historic overdraft terms not dealt with in his first judgment can be classified as unlawful "penalty" charges.

Comment

Wow - seems like Megan has some close contacts and seems very confident of how things will pan out over the next two days.

EXC - I think many many people on the forum would be very, very interested to read this article and it may be lost posted on the CMC Bunker thread.

Do you not think it would be worth start a new thread regarding this article from the FT??

I'm happy to do so if you'd like.

Comment

Oh, Megan has been busy.

I notice that in relation to what the Banks will do the article is quite definitely worded "are to appeal" and "will seek permission".

But later on in the article Megan is not so clear in relation to what the Judge and the OFT might do :- The OFT is not expected to" and "It is also thought to be unlikely that Mr Justice Andrew Smith etc"

Just looks like a big leak from the Banks PR team.

Budgie
                            Last edited by Budgie; 21st May 2008, 10:45:AM.

Comment

Yep - totally agree Budgie - think Megan has been tipped off by the banks.

Do you think this pretty important article should be posted up under a new thread so evryone can read it??

Comment

I'll be out of the country for a few days but will be there in spirit.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                                Working...
                                X