• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

DAY 12

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DAY 12

The author kindly requests that If you would like to re-post this account of the test case elsewhere, please ask me first.
    EXC

Day 12

Rabinowitz kicked off by replying to the OFT’s ‘’narrow interpretation’ of the concept of ‘service’ in which the regulation 62b talks about goods and services supplied in exchange for a price. He said that ‘service’ should be understood in a wider context as in the European meaning. He relied on a European Court of Justice case which although dealt with what tax category a restaurant would fall in - service or goods - the judgement suggested that all preparatory acts like laying the table would be included in the overall price of the meal and just like bank charges the various services make up the charge.

‘’Banks go through a great deal when presented with a payment’’ and he went through the various stages. All payment instructions were processed and then considered. When a payment is made while in debit, the payment is ‘granted’. All this, he said, ‘’involves substantial and expensive technology, infrastructure and human involvement’’. But the judge said that ‘’the expense is irrelevant’’.

Rabinowitz continued that when a payment instruction is received when in debit the instruction becomes ‘’a purported instruction or request’’. The judge asked him ‘’is that formulation what you explain to your customers?’’, Rabinowitz said that ‘’it is what the contract implies’’. The judged asked, if in the event of a non paid item, notification letters were issued and if so were they part of the service.

Rabinowitz said that not all banks sent them but for those who did it formed part of the service. The judge asked Rabinowitz if RBS sent the letters and somewhat surprisingly, the lead RBS QC, who is understood to be charging in excess of £10000 a day, didn’t know.

He accepted that services must be in exchange for a price. The judge questioned if this was a departure from his ‘price for an overall package’ argument but Rabinowitz said it was ‘’an alternative argument’’ and that the OFT did not offer an explanation as to what the charges were for. ‘’People don’t pay charges for nothing’’. The judge asked him if he agreed with the OFT’s view that the regulations require charges to be clearly identified.
    ‘’No’’ Rabinowitz said.

Before finishing Rabinowitz agreed what OFT’s Chief Executive John Fingleton said about the possibility of the change to the way banking is structured. ’’I don’t know if you saw him on the Money Programme?’’ The judge replied ‘’ I did but so what?’’. Rabinowitz warned of the end of the free banking while in credit model.

Just before he sat down Rabinowitz through a spanner in the works. He referred to Brian Doctor’s submission yesterday that the issues of good will and PIL should apply to T&Cs going back to 1994 and even before. He said the banks were under the impression these issues would be based on current T&Cs alone and that if the OFT had it’s way, the banks would need more time to respond. He said the backdrop to this is the ‘’enormous implications it could have to people up and down the country in County Court litigation.’’ The judge asked Rabinowitz to ‘’caucus’’ the banks on there views but that ultimately it was a decision for the judge.

The banks reply to the OFT on PIL was the responsibility of HBOS QC, the unfortunately named Robin Dicker. He said that under English law, banks are not obliged to provide information as to how a contract works in practice. He said that current account T&Cs ‘’are simple arms length contracts’’. But Justice Smith said ‘’I’ve got to realistically consider that if you go to open a bank account it’s counter intuitive to think you sit and read the T&Cs while the bank manager taps his fingers’’. Dicker reminded the judge that the Banking Code allowed for a cooling off period.

All though he’s not yet finished, the rest of his PIL reply was quite tedious going with interpretations of case law judgements and the preparatory documents of European directives and UK regulations.

Before they adjourned for the day, Milligan hit the judge with a bombshell. He wanted the judge to ‘give an indication’ as to his recommendation to County Courts by the end of the hearing. He was effectively asking Justice Smith to make his recommendation before he had even considered his judgement on the hearing. Milligan explained that the duration of many of the current stays end immediately after the hearing finishes. The judge conceded he hadn’t realised this but cast some doubt as to if this could be achieved but has yet to make a decision.

The judge is very keen to conclude the hearing this week and the following schedule has been agreed by both parties: Dicker will have an hour or so to finish on PIL in the morning and then Milligan will give the banks reply on penalties. The rest of the banks will give their replies to the OFT’s reply before Brian Doctor finishes by giving his reply to the banks replies. Got it?

The hearing won’t sit on Thursday due to Doctor being in court on another case and as Justice Smith has another court appearance at 11.00 on Friday the hearing must finish by 10.45 and will start at 8am. Although he hasn’t given any indication when a judgement will be reached the judge suggested that when the judgement is handed down they should schedule in a case management conference. Milligan asked the judge for at least 7 days between the written summary of the judgement being provided and the handing down and CMC but the judge said that due to the possibility of a leak, 7 days would be ‘’pushing it’’

So it looks like the hearing could be finished before lunchtime on Friday but I can’t help thinking that with so much yet to cover and at least 2 major issues still outstanding, it’s going to be a bit tight to say the least.

Re: DAY 12

hi

all this flailing around by the banks looks like panic to me

Borgbaiter

Comment

Milligan explained that the duration of many of the current stays end immediately after the hearing finishes.

Isn't the end of the OFT Test Case once judgement has been handed down? I've never read it as the stays being lifted immediately the hearing ends. And didn't the judge earlier on in the hearing indicate what he would most likely be recommending the the courts ?
      #staysafestayhome

Any support I provide is offered without liability, if you are unsure please seek professional legal guidance.

Received a Court Claim? Read >>>>> First Steps

Comment

It's an interesting point Ame. Although I'm sure some cases have been stayed until early Feb and if a few are lifted it could influence others but I think the banks are trying to pull the wool over the judges eyes as they know he's not to up on the current county court situation but there's no doubt the banks are desparate to keep the stays in place.

Comment

Do you think that the February 28th date yet again comes into play?

Comment

I do believe you are right Ame, it does seem the banks are beginning to panick!

If I am well enough on Friday morning and I can get up to the city really early on my way to work I will try and pop in to the Test Case for the last hour as it is only a 7/8 minute walk from the office where I work on Friday.

DSxx

Comment

Confirmation of "possible" resumption of county court cases as outlined above is discussed in the following BBC link this morning. Judge will consider.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/7229085.stm

Here's hoping! All good things....etc!!!!

Comment

‘’Banks go through a great deal when presented with a payment’’ and he went through the various stages. All payment instructions were processed and then considered. When a payment is made while in debit, the payment is ‘granted’. All this, he said, ‘’involves substantial and expensive technology, infrastructure and human involvement’’.

Never heard such cr@p PMSL automated.

Rabinowitz warned of the end of the free banking while in credit model.
                Clutching at straws, springs to mind LMAO

Rabinowitz said that not all banks sent them but for those who did it formed part of the service. The judge asked Rabinowitz if RBS sent the letters and somewhat surprisingly, the lead RBS QC, who is understood to be charging in excess of £10000 a day, didn’t know.
                LMAO perhaps we should send him one.

Comment

Thanks again EXC for keeping us all posted.
                  It does look to me that the banks are worried and indeed clutching at straws.
                  WE ARE GOING TO WIN.
                  any opinion are are my own and advice offered is gained from my experience of life. If you want legal advice consult a Lawyer.

Comment

Oh when oh when will all this appear in a language thats simple that I can understand. My brain is only small and I struggle to get to grips with how all this is explained. Why do judges/QC.s barristers etc. etc. talk in a language that is foreign to me. I DO NOT UNDERSTAND WHAT ANY OF IT IS ALL ABOUT. JUST THE WORDING ITSELF IS TOO BIG FOR MY BRAIN TO COPE WITH. Fendy xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
                    Natwest Round 1 - Won £16,080 after 6 month battle :roll:
                    Abbey Round 1 - Won £5,580 after 5 month battle :okay:
                    Capital 1 Credit Card - Won £1230 in 2 months
                    Capital 1 Cred Card for Hubby - Won £1560 in 2 months :kiss:
                    Abbey MBNA Credit Card - Won £2210 in 3 months
                    Halifax Credit Card - Won £1680 in 2 months

THE WAY FORWARD ON THESE CLAIMS, IS TO STAY POSITIVE, FOCUSED AND PATIENT, AND ALWAYS, ALWAYS BELIEVE ITS WORTH THE EFFORT, BECAUSE IT TRULY IS. WHY CHOOSE THE PATH OF LEAST RESISTANCE WHEN THERES NOTHING TO LEARN FROM THAT. THINK OF CLAIMING AS A PERSONAL CHALLENGE AND GIVE IT YOUR ALL.

Now Gunning for
                    Natwest round 2
                    Abbey Round 2
                    Yorkshire Bank round 1
                    A further £6000 to come back from above 3 when I win.:roll:

Comment

Have re read EXC's report again this morning.

In my opinion Rabinowitz knows that the Banks have lost. He appears to be desperately clutching at any possibility he can to prevent the inevitable result. But Justice Smith doesn’t seem to be having any of that nonsense. Some of the Justice Smith’s comments, reported by Exc, appear to be clear indications of the his opinions. I know things are not always as they might seem to be. But I was there on Monday and saw and heard things first hand. I get the strong impression that Justice Smith has already made up his mind and that’s another reason why he wants the hearing finished on Friday.

Rabinowitz is also trying to put some barriers in the way of the Judge with respect to the upcoming guidance Justice Smith will issue to the County Courts regarding the stayed claims. The BBC reported yesterday that Justice Smith had said that such guidance would have to be even-handed. By that I take it that any instruction or guidance he issued to the County Courts would not favour either the Banks or the Claimants.
                      That’s fine by me. An automatic lifting of all stays would in my view make things EVEN when taking into account the automatic staying of all claims that basically took place when the test case was first announced.

Budgie

Comment

But it doesnt look like there's going to be an automatic lift of all stays. Well not in the immediate future anyway.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/7230466.stm

Budgie

Comment

This simply saves banks money at our expense.

Advice to everyone should be to ensure that all claims are submitted at banks and that these include interest at 8% until settlement by bank or court or OFT, if and when claims resume.

Claimants are the the ones suffering, although I can understand why the judge has taken the view he has. There would have been a wild panic and paperchase if he had not gone done that road. This was unfortunately never going to be a quick fix and we all want/ need a permanent fix.

Comment

NO IMMEDIATE END TO THE WAIVER

The judge in the test case today confirmed that no immediate end to the waiver will follow the conclusion of the hearing.
                            Any progress will have to await judgement.
                            Ian Pollock at the BBC wrote this following his attendance at the hearing today, (I'm sure he won't mind us posting it as EXC did assist him with the quotes!):

The High Court judge hearing the test case on bank overdraft charges has suggested customers' claims should stay on hold for the time being. Tens of thousands of cases have been frozen by county courts since the banks and the Office of Fair Trading agreed on a test case to clarify the law.
                            Yesterday, the banks said that the legal stays on some claims would automatically end this week.
                            The judge has now suggested the stays remain in place until his judgement.
                            "Many proceedings have been on hold in the expectation that this hearing will assist the management of the county court litigation," said Justice Andrew Smith.
                            "I haven't discerned anything during the hearing that undermines that expectation, and I don't mind that being conveyed to those charged with managing the county court cases."
                            Test case
                            The OFT is asking the court to support its view that it has the right, under the 1999 Unfair Terms and Consumer Contracts Regulations, to decide if bank overdraft charges are unfair.
                            The test case is prompted partly by a desire to resolve the huge wave of litigation against the banks in the county courts which has built up in the last two years.
                            This has seen the banks refund more than half a billion pounds to an estimated 300,000 or more customers, though without any admission of liability by the lenders.
                            Deadline
                            The court had been told that some judges had stipulated that the stays on current or fresh claims would end on 1 February or when the High Court hearing ended.
                            However, the judge pointed out that he could not order the courts to keep claims frozen.
                            "It is for the county courts to decide how to deal with the cases before them, either as a matter of their own motion or application from the banks or customers or any party," he said.
                            "I can't intervene in the county court cases or go further than that."
                            If the county courts take this advice, then tens of thousands of claims in the legal pipeline will remain unresolved and unheard for several more months.
                            Although banks have to log any new claims against them for the return of overdraft charges, they are not being processed by either the courts or the Financial Ombudsman Service.
                            The current High Court hearing may end on Friday but it could be several months before the judge makes his decision known.
                            That in turn could lead to legal appeals by the losing side and further delays in clarifying the law.
                            "Although scalar fields are Lorentz scalars, they may transform nontrivially under other symmetries, such as flavour or isospin. For example, the pion is invariant under the restricted Lorentz group, but is an isospin triplet (meaning it transforms like a three component vector under the SU(2) isospin symmetry). Furthermore, it picks up a negative phase under parity inversion, so it transforms nontrivially under the full Lorentz group; such particles are called pseudoscalar rather than scalar. Most mesons are pseudoscalar particles." (finally explained to a captivated Celestine by Professor Brian Cox on Wednesday 27th June 2012 )

I am proud to have co-founded LegalBeagles in 2007

If we have helped you we'd appreciate it if you can leave a review on our Trust Pilot page

If you wish to book an appointment with me to discuss your credit agreement, please email kate@legalbeaglesgroup. com

Comment

This hasnt been done in an "even handed manner" As it was intimated by Justice SMith that it would be. This totally favours the Banks.

However the important thing here is

"It is for the county courts to decide how to deal with the cases before them, either as a matter of their own motion or application from the banks or customers or any party," he said.
                              "I can't intervene in the county court cases or go further than that."

If Justice Smith were to give some guidance regarding penalty charge issue then we could all, in theory, apply to have stays lifted on the grounds that claims proceed on penalty charge issue in advance of judgement on UTCCR aspects.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                              Working...
                              X