• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

HSBC defy Waiver (Adele v HSBC)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HSBC defy Waiver (Adele v HSBC)

Claimant claiming approx £1900 in unlawful charges from HSBC. They continue to chase claimant for approx £520 outstanding overdraft despite acknowledging the account is in dispute and the claim for a refund of charges.

This is their most recent letter to the claimant.

#staysafestayhome

Any support I provide is offered without liability, if you are unsure please seek professional legal guidance.

Received a Court Claim? Read >>>>> First Steps

Re: HSBC defy Waiver (Adele v HSBC)

Well that needs to go to the FSA

Comment

Also a letter should be sent back to HSBC stating that any court action taken will be met by a counterclaim. They will back down as the amount owed is so much smaller than her claim against them. If it does go to court, it may be stayed but it is more likely that the judge will hear both claims and award the balance to her.

Comment

I personally think it shoud go to the OFT too as regardless of the waiver conditions the bank is in breach of the OFT guidelines which state a bank shouldn't pursue a debt on a disputed account

I also think it should go to the BBC. Ame?

Comment

Oh indeedy.

Have made start on letter to respond to HSBC.

Dear Mr HSBC

I am rather surprised at the content of your letter dated XX/XX/XXXX in which you inform me you are aware my account is in dispute and that I am currently asking you for a refund of bank charges totalling £xxxxx yet you are ''under no obligation to withold any collections activity'' on my account.
          You are fully aware that my complaint against you is for a refund of charges totalling £XXXX.00, and this far outweighs the current debit balance on my account of £XXX.00.

I am surprised you are unaware of the guidance issued by the Banking Code Standards Board, which states you should not chase payment on a disputed debt.

I am also surprised, being as you are involved in the current test case and are appealing to the House of Lords on the judgment, that you are unaware of the terms of the FSA Waiver.

15.When dealing with complainants in financial difficulty, the firm should consider the following steps in respect of the period during which they are assessed as being in financial difficulty:
          (a)the firm might waive future unauthorised overdraft charges; and
          (b)the firm might not enforce debts against complainants in financial difficulty to the extent that these debts are made up of unauthorised overdraft charges.

I would also like to make you aware of The Office of Fair Trading Code of Guidance 664 in which it states: putting pressure on debtors or third parties is considered to be oppressive. This includes ignoring disputes about whether money is owed and refusing to freeze action if the debt is in dispute.

I intend to submit a complaint to the FSA regarding your lack of consideration of the waiver terms. Please find a copy of this attached.

I therefore request you place the account on hold and cancel any further charges and interest from being applied to the account until you have satisfactorily resolved my complaint. Any further action you take on this account will be strongly contested.

I hope to receive your full co-operation in this matter and would like to request a written response to that effect by return.

Yours sincerely
          need to do complaint to FSA and OFT to go with the letter Plus any input on this reponse welcome.
          Last edited by Amethyst; 1st May 2009, 10:12:AM.
          #staysafestayhome

Any support I provide is offered without liability, if you are unsure please seek professional legal guidance.

Comment

letter looks good to me Ame, I'd just change the wording slightly, as below.

I am also surprised, in view of HSBC's involvement the current test case and appeal to the House of Lords on the judgement, that you are unaware of the terms of the FSA Waiver.
            Is no longer here

Comment

Originally posted by Amethyst View Post
              Oh indeedy.

Have made start on letter to respond to HSBC.

need to do complaint to FSA and OFT to go with the letter Plus any input on this reponse welcome.
              I'd be tempted to put more emphasis on the OFT guidlines than the waiver. The waiver is a bit wooly and says ''might not'' but from memory the OFT guidlines say ''should not''.

In response to HSBC saying they believe the charges were applied correctly you might want to remind them that they are not the authority on the matter, that being the domain of the OFT who wrote to HSBC on 8 November to tell them that they had serious concerns about the lawfulness of them. Clearly HSBC are not confident the charges are lawful as they asked the OFT to participate in a test case to establish just that.

Comment

EXC you are an absolute star I will unashamedly plagurise you
                #staysafestayhome

Comment

Worth adding:

Originally posted by 2.6h.
                  ignoring and/or disregarding claims that debts have been settled or are
                  disputed and continuing to make unjustified demands for payment
                  Originally posted by 2.8.
                  failing to investigate and/or provide details as appropriate, when a debt is
                  queried or disputed, possibly resulting in debtors being wrongly pursued
                  Originally posted by 2.8k.
                  not ceasing collection activity whilst investigating a reasonably queried or
                  disputed debt.

Comment

Same as the lad with Natwest, just got another letter now 5th one telling me about FSA etc and yet another I & E sheet and asking why he can't meet his commitments.
                    They won't listen.

Comment

Okay was thinking 664 was for debts that have already been defaulted, but it can't hurt to add more weight.
                      #staysafestayhome

Comment

This is a debt

Comment

Dear Mr HSBC

I am rather surprised at the content of your letter dated XX/XX/XXXX in which you inform me you are aware my account is in dispute and that I am currently asking you for a refund of bank charges totalling £xxxxx yet you are ''under no obligation to withold any collections activity'' on my account.

You are fully aware that my complaint against you is for a refund of charges totalling £XXXX.00, and this far outweighs the current debit balance on my account of £XXX.00.

With regards to your comment that you believe the charges to be fair, I would like to remind you that you are not the authority on the matter, that being the domain of the OFT who wrote to HSBC on 8 November to tell you that they had serious concerns about the lawfulness of these charges. Clearly HSBC are not confident the charges are lawful as they have asked the OFT to participate in a test case to establish just that.

I am surprised you are unaware of the guidance issued by the Banking Code Standards Board, which states you should not chase payment on a disputed debt.

I am also surprised, in view of HSBC's involvement the current test case and appeal to the House of Lords on the judgement, that you are unaware of the terms of the FSA Waiver.

15.When dealing with complainants in financial difficulty, the firm should consider the following steps in respect of the period during which they are assessed as being in financial difficulty:
                          (a)the firm might waive future unauthorised overdraft charges; and
                          (b)the firm might not enforce debts against complainants in financial difficulty to the extent that these debts are made up of unauthorised overdraft charges.

I would also like to make you aware of The Office of Fair Trading Code of Guidance 664 in which it states: putting pressure on debtors or third parties is considered to be oppressive. This includes ignoring disputes about whether money is owed and refusing to freeze action if the debt is in dispute.
                          The following actions would be a breach of this guidance;
                          2.6h. ignoring and/or disregarding claims that debts have been settled or are disputed and continuing to make unjustified demands for payment
                          2.8. failing to investigate and/or provide details as appropriate, when a debt is queried or disputed, possibly resulting in debtors being wrongly pursued
                          2.8k. not ceasing collection activity whilst investigating a reasonably queried or disputed debt.

I intend to submit a complaint to the OFT, and also the FSA regarding your lack of consideration of the waiver terms. Please find a copy of this attached.

I therefore request you place the account on hold and cancel any further charges and interest from being applied to the account until you have satisfactorily resolved my complaint. Any further action you take on this account will be strongly contested.

I hope to receive your full co-operation in this matter and would like to request a written response to that effect by 07 May 2009.

Yours sincerely
                          Last edited by Amethyst; 1st May 2009, 11:32:AM.
                          #staysafestayhome

Comment

Personally I would give them a solid time frame to respond in, say 14 days or by DATE.

Comment

amended accordingly

anyone fancy knocking up the complaint to oft & fsa ?
                              #staysafestayhome

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                              Working...
                              X