• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Appeal Judgment - 26th February 2009 - OFT v Abbey National Plc & Otrs

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Appeal Judgment - 26th February 2009 - OFT v Abbey National Plc & Otrs

Thanks to all involved for reporting and researching and all the other work that has gone on in the background... it means a lot to all of us I'm sure.

So - the next stage (after the HoL has denied leave to appeal this decision) is for the OFT to submit the findings of it's PCA study to "The Courts" and for "The Courts" to listen to all arguments of the OFT and the Banks and ultimately decide:

1. Whether the charges are fair as they stand
    2. (presumably) a threshold under which, or a calculation to determine a threshold under which, the charges will be fair assuming they're not now
    3. How the banks should pay consumers back (i.e. without being asked, on demand, etc)
    4. WHAT the banks should pay back (i.e. charges, charges plus court fees plus interest, charges plus court fees plus compensation... etc)
    5. HOW FAST they should pay it back
    6. anything else????

OR

Will "The Courts" simply rule "Fair or Not Fair" and leave the banks to work out the mechanics with the OFT? If "The Courts" rule "Not Fair" how likely is it that leave to appeal will be denied?

Tom
    I will not provide support by Private Message under any circumstances. This is for your protection and mine. Any advice I give is my own opinion and carries no legal weight. Check it before you use it!
    Over £1200 claimed in several actions against several organisations.

Comment

Does anyone have a copy of the judgement by the court of appeal yet?

Comment

Today's judgment.

Comment

Originally posted by tomterm8 View Post
          Does anyone have a copy of the judgement by the court of appeal yet?
          Also here with the notes etc

Official Appeal Judgment, Explanatory Note and Press Notice - Legal Beagles

Comment

Thanks

Comment

Today

It was refreshingly surprising that Tools and Amethyst made it on time although Tom was precictably late and I deliberately let him buy breakfast before telling him he didn't have time to eat it.

Beagles were 7 handed - Me, Nattie, Budgie, Tools, Amethyst, Tom & Jax.

Court 71 was much smaller than the court the appeal hearing was heard in and most of us had to stand. Martin Lewis was the last in but somehow managed to wangle a seat, despite his trademark dodgy shirt and jeans.

Almost none of the bank's or OFT's legal teams were present and there were probably more Beagles than barristers. Megan Murphy aside my only regret was the absence of the delightful and delightfully named OFT junior barrister, Sarah Love.

When the usher asked the court rise (which wasn't diffucult for most of us as we were already stood) only the Master of the Rolls appeared, the other 2 judges absent.

He read out the conclusions of the judgment and the accompanying note and that was it. The whole thing lasted 8 minutes. Although it wasn't clear we'd won until 2 or 3 minutes into it.

Today was tremendously exciting, not just because we won but the unequivocal way in which the judge delivered his verdict and point blank refused the banks' leave to appeal. For the first time I got a real sense that the court was 'on our side' and that really felt good.

And a well deserved spot of lunch and a glass of champagne finished off a truly memorable day.

Comment

So, who won the sweepstake?

Comment

Dunno. There was no Megan Murphy and no wigs but the most important figure was the number of pages in the judgment which was not many.

Comment

I believe Enaid did with a 69(no dirty talk please )

Comment

OFT updated Q&As.

http://www.oft.gov.uk/shared_oft/per...ksqa260209.pdf

Comment

excellent they got that up so quick.

Originally posted by OFT
                        3. Does the OFT think the banks' terms are unfair?
                        In August 2008, we wrote to the seven banks and one building society with
                        whom we have a litigation agreement setting out our approach to the
                        assessment of fairness and, for seven of them, our concerns that the terms may
                        be unfair.2
                        At this stage, no bank's terms have been given a clean bill of health. We will
                        continue to progress our investigation, in dialogue with the banks, and expect to
                        reach a final decision on fairness later this year.
                        If our investigation concludes that the terms are unfair then, we will work with
                        the banks to identify how any potential subsequent litigation can be managed
                        sensibly and efficiently.
                        4. When do you expect this matter to be finally decided?
                        We will continue to progress our investigation, and expect to reach a final
                        decision on fairness later in 2009. If this decision is disputed, subsequent
                        litigation may ensue. If we can resolve any concerns we have about the
                        charging terms, (for example, if the banks provided satisfactory undertakings to
                        the OFT) without the need for further, lengthy, court action, then this may be in
                        the best interest of consumers.
                        I'll sort out the sidebar and whatnot in the morning am pooped. Was a great day, well worth going, and lovely to see everyone again.
                        #staysafestayhome

Any support I provide is offered without liability, if you are unsure please seek professional legal guidance.

Received a Court Claim? Read >>>>> First Steps

Comment

havent read whole thread but just wondered quickly ...in Ganders quote he mentions one of the banks deciding to petition the HoL for permission to appeal ? have the banks made a statement to that effect ?
                          #staysafestayhome

Any support I provide is offered without liability, if you are unsure please seek professional legal guidance.

Received a Court Claim? Read >>>>> First Steps

Comment

Originally posted by EXC View Post
                            And a well deserved spot of lunch and a glass of champagne finished off a truly memorable day.
                            Bugger Exc ... you never said there was going to be champagne!!!

jax

Great to meet you all at long last anyway ... but SOME of us had to go back to work

Comment

Originally posted by jax007 View Post
                              Bugger Exc ... you never said there was going to be champagne!!!

jax

Great to meet you all at long last anyway ... but SOME of us had to go back to work
                              And some of us want that excuse

Nice to meet you Jax

Comment

Originally posted by EXC View Post
                                I would agree with you Tom but as Ame posted somewhere the main reason the Master of the Rolls gave for refusing leave to appeal is that the point of law in dispute has already been ruled on by the HoLs in the First National Bank case.

If this is the case, which I know it is, can someone explain why this argument was part of the test case when a precedent had already been set in the HoL?

Or have I missed the point, so to speak?

jax

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                                Working...
                                X