• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Remove Anti-Homeless Spikes! Will you sign this petition? I have.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Remove Anti-Homeless Spikes! Will you sign this petition? I have.

Originally posted by Wombats View Post
    It's crazy! Even more crazy in Welshland:

"Pan ddaw i lywodraeth a thâp coch, mae bob amser wedi bod yn brin!"

See - I told you!

Comment

Can i jsut add a few point to this

HB is paid directly to the tenant now, so we're seeing increasing numbers of people on HB being evicted as their HB is diverted to other purposes. This was another stupid move by the government.

I was an agent when this happened, in the first year, evictions went up, BUT, it had another unforsean benefit. IT GOT HB TENANTS USED TO PAYING FULL RENT. SO WHEN THEY WOR|KED THEY PAID.... that made such a difference as a landlord

Yes, I recall someone who is a landlady saying it was due to insurance that HB tenants were often not welcomed. :tinysmile_twink_t2:
      Inexperience LL, lots of these in the martket after the BTL boom. Truth is, it makes no difference. Age is the biggest difference. You want to avoid most trouble, only take tenants over 25. In fact, if you look thought the accounts, Total debt left is better on HB accounts than fully employed people.

On bedroom tax...... Do people realise that tenants renting from private LLS, not council, have been subject to this charge for years.

On Profits in renting out ( overcharging rent ).......Very rare this happens... its a tight line between mortgage payments, agents fees, insurance....
      crazy council ( as in local council,NELC ) as a member of the public, i don't get mad, i get even

Comment

Originally posted by Crazy council View Post
        Can i jsut add a few point to this

I was an agent when this happened, in the first year, evictions went up, BUT, it had another unforsean benefit. IT GOT HB TENANTS USED TO PAYING FULL RENT. SO WHEN THEY WOR|KED THEY PAID.... that made such a difference as a landlord

Inexperience LL, lots of these in the martket after the BTL boom. Truth is, it makes no difference. Age is the biggest difference. You want to avoid most trouble, only take tenants over 25. In fact, if you look thought the accounts, Total debt left is better on HB accounts than fully employed people.

On bedroom tax...... Do people realise that tenants renting from private LLS, not council, have been subject to this charge for years.

On Profits in renting out ( overcharging rent ).......Very rare this happens... its a tight line between mortgage payments, agents fees, insurance....
        As Mr Newton said, 'For every action there is an equal and opposite reaction.'

This article from The Guardian (Jan 2014) suggests differently to what you say:

http://www.theguardian.com/money/201...efit-claimants

Tenants renting privately have not been subject to the 'bedroom tax' for years, they've been subject to tradtional Keynsian economics and the simple law of supply and demand. The 'seller' will sell at the maximum price the market will pay. The sad thing is local housing stock forces many of these tenants into private renting as they have no choice; if they did private rents would, I'm sure, be lower as there'd be less demand.

I still believe bricks and mortar are one of the best long term investments, and can often be excellent short term investments if bought to do up and sell on quickly. I only know two people who BTL, one for a living and one as a hobby. Both make handsome profits. One is based in Weston super Mare, the other in Leicester though his properties are around the Lichfield area. I know one other locally who owns four properties, three rented out but with no mortgage. He makes a very healthy profit as it is not BTL.

Comment

hi wombat

Tenants renting privately have not been subject to the 'bedroom tax' for years, they've been subject to tradtional Keynsian economics and the simple law of supply and demand. The 'seller' will sell at the maximum price the market will pay.
          Agreed, its they way they worked it out made the outcome the same, you were penilised for spare rooms. The last part you said there can be a problem with LLs, That is, LLs telling agents the rental price, instead of listening.

I still believe bricks and mortar are one of the best long term investments,
          100% agreed, Also, there is money to be made in the long term BTL, its just none professional LLs dont tend to budget properly for repairs, ware and tear. I also think the BLT boom was the worst thing for the market, becuase all the affordable property got bought up,, not leaving a lot for new buyers...
          crazy council ( as in local council,NELC ) as a member of the public, i don't get mad, i get even

Comment

"
            The spikes have been removed from 118 Southwark Bridge Road, SE1!
            The events of this week have been incredible. As soon as the spikes were spotted, the public rallied together and demanded their removal. Over 130,000 people signed my petition. We demanded better from the developers and better from our capital.
            Boris Johnson spoke out and said they needed to go. Spikes were spotted outside a branch of Tescos and so activists poured cement mixture over them. Hours later Tescos removed the spikes.
            It was then just a matter of keeping up the pressure.
            Then this morning the spikes in Southwark were gone!
            I am overwhelmed at the outpouring of compassion and humanity in supporting the removal of the spikes and getting the City, the UK and the world talking about the issue of homelessness. The spikes were simply a symbol for the way homeless people are often treated, they have started an important discussion that has been a long time coming and one that we need to keep having.
            Please share the good news by tweeting this:
            The anti-homeless spikes were removed from the block of flats #PeoplePower change.org/nohomelessspikes

Thank you and well done -- we did this together!
            Harriet
            email from Change

Comment

Interesting thread, and I have signed the petition. I agree with FP in that the knee jerk reaction of abhorrence masks the underlining obscenity of people being in the position of having to sleep rough in this day and age and in this country anyway. As if we are saying, it is OK for people to sleep in doorways ?

legally there is little the owner can do if the entrance is open to the public, technically it is trespass I suppose, but no one is being "displaced" and there will be no damages to claim, so it would have to be a court order and a bailiff by which time the person would have moved on and probably moved back again.

I would personally like to see the owner of the premises allowed to keep his spikes though, on the condition that they sponsored a cot or bed in a public hostel within a half mile radius and a notice with directions was mounted in the doorway, above the offending articles.

Comment

Originally posted by andy58 View Post
                Interesting thread, and I have signed the petition. I agree with FP in that the knee jerk reaction of abhorrence masks the underlining obscenity of people being in the position of having to sleep rough in this day and age and in this country anyway. As if we are saying, it is OK for people to sleep in doorways ?

legally there is little the owner can do if the entrance is open to the public, technically it is trespass I suppose, but no one is being "displaced" and there will be no damages to claim, so it would have to be a court order and a bailiff by which time the person would have moved on and probably moved back again.

I would personally like to see the owner of the premises allowed to keep his spikes though, on the condition that they sponsored a cot or bed in a public hostel within a half mile radius and a notice with directions was mounted in the doorway, above the offending articles.
                Whilst I agree with a lot of what you say in your post, Andy, there is the risk to those who stumble and fall onto these spikes to consider. Any premises owner who has installed these spikes and they cause injury to someone who has stumbled and fallen onto them should not be permitted to defend any claim for injury.
                Life is a journey on which we all travel, sometimes together, but never alone.

Comment

Originally posted by bluebottle View Post
                  Whilst I agree with a lot of what you say in your post, Andy, there is the risk to those who stumble and fall onto these spikes to consider. Any premises owner who has installed these spikes and they cause injury to someone who has stumbled and fallen onto them should not be permitted to defend any claim for injury.
                  Yes or through their window or trip over their signage or under a bus, #I suppose.

Comment

I should of course add, that despite the description these are not I believe "spikes", i mean no one is going to impale themselves, they are really rough surfaces and designed to make it impossible for anyone except an Egyptian fakir form sleeping there.

Comment

They are unlikely to impale themselves. The spikes are not like some of the efforts I have seen on the tops of walls which are capable of inflicting serious injury. However, the so-called "anti-homeless spikes" are sufficient to cause injury to someone falling onto them and should be removed asap.

Comment

Originally posted by bluebottle View Post
                        They are unlikely to impale themselves. The spikes are not like some of the efforts I have seen on the tops of walls which are capable of inflicting serious injury. However, the so-called "anti-homeless spikes" are sufficient to cause injury to someone falling onto them and should be removed asap.
                        Yes i have railings on top of my garden fence and a very dangerous looking garden gnome which could be injurious the passing innocents also. honestly bluebottle.

Comment

Originally posted by andy58 View Post
                          Yes i have railings on top of my garden fence and a very dangerous looking garden gnome which could be injurious the passing innocents also. honestly bluebottle.
                          Is the gnome armed?

I guess it's fair to guard gnome man's land, and suspect your neighbours are thinking gnome or Mr Nice Guy!

On a serious point I'm delighted the spikes have been removed, not only for the fact of them having gone but for raising awareness of the homelessness issue.

Comment

He's probably with the Gnome Guard, Wombats.

Comment

Originally posted by Wombats View Post
                              Is the gnome armed?

I guess it's fair to guard gnome man's land, and suspect your neighbours are thinking gnome or Mr Nice Guy!

On a serious point I'm delighted the spikes have been removed, not only for the fact of them having gone but for raising awareness of the homelessness issue.
                              Yes and that is the issue of course and in a funny way it has raised the consciousness of the underlying problem, so perhaps not an entirely wasted exercise.
                              Lets just hope that now they are gone people don't think that everything is OK because the homeless have doorways to sleep in again.

Comment

It would be nice to think that this might be a stepping stone to further action. With Boris Johnson involved in the campaign, if pressure could be maintained on him, there is a chance a least something might improve for the plight of the homeless.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                                Working...
                                X