• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Taking a trader to court-clarification re: servicing documents

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Taking a trader to court-clarification re: servicing documents

Hello
    I am taking a landscape builder to court. The small claims hearing is at the end of this month. I do not have any legal experience. I have just signed-up to this forum (have spent hours on the internet and the more research I do, the more complicated things seem to become!) .

I believe I need to provide the following:

Particulars of Claim (have a draft one prepared)
    Statement?
    Index
    I understand the documents need to be 'filed'' in a certain order:

Claim Form, Defence and Counterclaim, etc ie 'legal docs'
    Letters I have sent to the defendant (inc landscaping report, quote)
    Emails from the defendant
    Emails from RatedPeople (they offered to try and help)
    Email rom the CAB ie initial one where they offer and state advice
    Reviews (negative ones) from RatedPeople etc (including these as the defendant says that he has never received complaints from anyone else, but he has...)
    Photos of the substandard/incomplete work

Any help would be gratefully received.
    Tags: None

Hello

When the court issued an order providing details of the date and time of the hearing, the order would have explained what you needed to file as your evidence bundle.

For small claims, the common statement requirement for both sides to exchange witness statements and disclose to each other all documents that they wish to rely on to support their case - this is what we call an evidence bundle. You should refer to your evidence in your witness statement (by reference to page number) and then attach the evidence as an exhibit. Do some research on how to prepare and draft a witness statement, there is plenty of information out there.

Sometimes the judge making the order might deviate from that general position and request the parties to file a trial bundle, which commonly includes the the documents you described in your post such as the claim form, court orders, skeleton argument witness evidence etc.

Long and short, read the court order and comply with it as it exactly states. If you feel a trial bundle is necessary and the court has not ordered for one to be prepared, then you can submit one but it is very time consuming and needs to be properly prepared, paginated and cross-referenced. You may get scorned by the judge for filing a poor trial bundle and could affect your chances of success.

If you have a question about the voluntary termination process, please read this guide first, as it should have all the answers you need. Please do not hijack another person's thread as I will not respond to you
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    LEGAL DISCLAIMER
    Please be aware that this is a public forum and is therefore accessible to anyone. The content I post on this forum is not intended to be legal advice nor does it establish any client-lawyer type relationship between you and me. Therefore any use of my content is at your own risk and I cannot be held responsible in any way. It is always recommended that you seek independent legal advice.

Comment

Agree with Rob in the above, this page might be helpful Witness Statements.
      COMPLETING AN N180 DIRECTIONS QUESTIONNAIRE (SMALL CLAIMS TRACK) GUIDE

My posts here are based on my experience of a variety of life events. I have no formal legal training & if in doubt take professional legal advice or contact CAB. If you follow anything I write here you do so at your own risk & I accept no liability for any loss, costs or other outcomes.

Private messages are disabled as help is only offered publicly. I do not come on here in the evening, at weekends or on public holidays.

Comment

Thanks for all your help.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
        Working...
        X