• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Removal of property

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by 2222 View Post

I entirely agree with all that, and I agree with her that she has been more charitable than nearly anyone else would be. The question is what she should do now, so as to stay on the right side of the law?

I suspect that when she sees inside the caravan she'll be less keen to keep it.
    I guess one has to ask in a situation like this, what would be the right side of the law. Des8 has pointed out the implications for the OP! But does this make the situation any clearer for the OP?. No disrespect against Des8.

The ultimate solution I think the OP is asking for is to put all of this behind her, but at the same time face no financial loss or fear of repercussions. The original poster should query what documentation the friend has to prove that he has any rights to caravan, and take it from there.
    I think the text messages would be beneficial to prove that the OP indeed owns the caravan, based on the fact that the friend has said by text that he is willing to pay for it.

Comment

Good luck with tomorrow.

Please note I wasn't suggesting that you were not the owner or didn't have the right to retain the van.
      I was only recommending you be aware of the possible ramifications.

The police will only be present to prevent a breach of the peace, they will not rule on ownership.
      Do you have the possibility of preventing removal of the caravan, by blocking its exit perhaps?
      If you can prevent its removal you will have the upper hand as he would need to initiate a court claim to obtain it.

Comment

Originally posted by des8 View Post
        Good luck with tomorrow.

Please note I wasn't suggesting that you were not the owner or didn't have the right to retain the van.
        I was only recommending you be aware of the possible ramifications.

The police will only be present to prevent a breach of the peace, they will not rule on ownership.
        Do you have the possibility of preventing removal of the caravan, by blocking its exit perhaps?
        If you can prevent its removal you will have the upper hand as he would need to initiate a court claim to obtain it.
        des8 Thank you for responding :-) I also wish you the very best of luck tomorrow, and as des8 has said, this is not a criminal matter, it’s civil with regards to the caravan.

Comment

Des8 apparently it won't be happening tomorrow now as the police can't attend. I was under the impression that if it was 'booked' then it would go ahead. I understand you were only making me aware & thank you for that. I have removed the piece needed to attach it to a vehicle & there is no way it can be removed without also moving other items of my property. That was also my thinking that surely it would then be his decision to claim ownership through other routes which I know he doesn't have the funds to do. Thank you

Comment

So have your proof of purchase to hand if he comes with the police and tries to insist on moving it

Comment

After telling you all that removal of the caravan would be later this week, I've come back from school run to find it gone. I'm in the process of reporting it to police.

​​​​​

Comment

I thought you removed the towing bracket?

anyway, I'm sure you're right to inform the police. Theft, they can cope with that, and I'm pleased for you there's been no confrontation.

Comment

This is now theft. When you do get through to the police, remind them of your prior conversation with them and the fact that originally your friend would be in attendance today with police presence to remove caravan. Make sure you get a crime reference number.

Comment

Don't expect plod to be much interested.
                    If they can find him, they will ask for his view of the matter and doubtlessly he will respond that you bought it for him.
                    Whether or not he admits he has not yet paid for the van, the police will likely say it is a civil matter.

If you manage to get a crime number you might have coverage under your household contents policy.

Comment

[QUOTE=des8;n1443590]Don't expect plod to be much interested.
                      If they can find him, they will ask for his view of the matter and doubtlessly he will respond that you bought it for him.
                      Whether or not he admits he has not yet paid for the van, the police will likely say it is a civil matter.

If you manage to get a crime number you might have coverage under your household contents policy.[/QUOTE

Agree, I was too thinking under insurance. Hence crime reference number.

Comment

2222 I removed the bracket that attaches it to the vehicle but not the wishbone which I should've done He would've found a way to take it anyway. Some of my property is in it tho which I couldn't take out because he'd locked it. If it starts getting into tit for tat then I'll just leave it as I don't want to cause any more upset for my children.
                        ​​​​​​

Comment

Originally posted by Usedasamug View Post
                          2222 I removed the bracket that attaches it to the vehicle but not the wishbone which I should've done He would've found a way to take it anyway. Some of my property is in it tho which I couldn't take out because he'd locked it. If it starts getting into tit for tat then I'll just leave it as I don't want to cause any more upset for my children.
                          ​​​​​​
                          We’re the police helpful?

Comment

Setmefree3 they were very helpful. It is classed as theft & because the policeman friend is possibly involved they are looking into involving another county's force. I was told tho that they would call me back in 45 mins but still waiting I've got another friend I'm trying to deal with atm who's in crisis so haven't had a chance to call them back for the crime ref number. I know lol im a sucker for people in need lol
                            ​​​​​​

Comment

Originally posted by Usedasamug View Post
                              Setmefree3 they were very helpful. It is classed as theft & because the policeman friend is possibly involved they are looking into involving another county's force. I was told tho that they would call me back in 45 mins but still waiting I've got another friend I'm trying to deal with atm who's in crisis so haven't had a chance to call them back for the crime ref number. I know lol im a sucker for people in need lol
                              ​​​​​​
                              Interesting. ​​​​​ I do hope that there is no foul play, it really becomes quite serious if it goes out of county. Please do keep us informed.

Comment

So it could could become quite serious if his policeman friend assisted him in the theft.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                                Working...
                                X