• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

LegalBeagle Wins Bank Charge Case - Lloyds Overdraft Terms deemed Unfair

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: LegalBeagle Wins Bank Charge Case - Lloyds Overdraft Terms deemed Unfair

Well done!
    Never give up, Never surrender.

Comment

And it reached the Daily Star

Victory for the broke! Crippling overdraft charges case could spark £1bn bank payout

GOOD news for students and those in debt – excessive overdraft fees may become a thing of the past after a landmark court victory over a top bank.
      By Nathan Blades / Published 22nd September 2014

BREAKTHROUGH: Oliver Foster-Burnell's court battle against Lloyds Bank could help those in overdraft debt across the UK [TWITTER]
      Banks with terms and conditions that pile on crippling fees could find themselves having to pay back an estimated £1 billion to overdraft-suffering customers by next year — perfect for those with student loan woes.
      The change began to take place after Oliver Foster-Burnell, 28, won a case against Lloyds Bank for hitting his account with steeply rising fees that pushed him into a spiral of debt.
      Charged with over £700 in fees, the public health worker was unable to pay other bills... which pushed him even further into the red.
      “It is unfair the banking industry is allowed to profit while people suffer financial hardship”
      Oliver Foster-Burnell
      However, a judge at Taunton County Court ruled that the bank's terms and conditions were significantly imbalanced and a detriment to Oliver, ordering Lloyds Bank to reimburse him £743 in charges – plus interest.
      This is the first time a customer has triumphed over a bank's unfair charges since 2009, when it was deemed banks couldn't be challenged over fee refunds.
      Though the court ruling only applies to Oliver's case at the moment, he and his solicitor, Howlett Clarke, are appealing for certain fee terms and conditions from banks to be considered unfair for everyone.
      If they are successful, banks could be facing a billion-pound payout to customers claiming refunds.
      Oliver, from Taunton, said: "It is unfair the banking industry is allowed to profit while people suffer financial hardship."By applying these charges and allowing them to snowball out of control, it skews the imbalance.
      "We want the court to consider that such a system of charges can hit anyone badly — not just those in hardship — and is therefore unfair and needs to be changed."
      The ruling is not expected until next year, so Oliver's case is not yet a legal precedent, though judges can use the case as guidance in their decisions.

http://www.dailystar.co.uk/news/late...nd-bank-payout

Comment

It did indeed, they pinched my Twitter picture! And also quoted me saying something I never said but never mind. That's media for you!

Possibly more to come today, if you don't get MSE Weekly e-mail it might be good to sign up

Comment

I'll look out for it

You're getting a bit famous now Oli
          #staysafestayhome

Any support I provide is offered without liability, if you are unsure please seek professional legal guidance.

Received a Court Claim? Read >>>>> First Steps

Comment

Originally posted by Amethyst View Post
            I'll look out for it

You're getting a bit famous now Oli
            im buying shades and a disguise hat. Walking through town yesterday two locals stopped and asked if they saw me in the Mail!

Comment

Originally posted by orfoster View Post
              im buying shades and a disguise hat. Walking through town yesterday two locals stopped and asked if they saw me in the Mail!
              next time walk through French Weir then Wood street, up to James street & Cannon street, only one person maybe ask you then! lol = incognito!

Comment

Lol - on a serious note though, it wasn't me that won this case, credit has to go to Celestine and Tom Brennan.

The Daily Mail wrongly said that I found ECJ rulings, I didnt, that was Tom and Kate. But then that is journalism for you I guess.

Comment

That's Taunton for you Oli, small town - could be worse, could be WSM!

Comment

Originally posted by ncf355 View Post
                    That's Taunton for you Oli, small town - could be worse, could be WSM!

WSM Nooooooooooooo Burnham ON Mud:tinysmile_twink_t2:

Comment

LOL, I'm saying nothing (I'm local, but I count all toes present and correct)

Comment

Born Taunton originally

Comment

Another MSE article

http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/new...ks-it-could-be

Comment

Possibly more to come today, if you don't get MSE Weekly e-mail it might be good to sign up
                            Yes, it's in there. Web version of what is going out today. --> http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/latesttip/#bankcharges

Comment

Another Daily Mail article! A bit more in depth, shame I didn't say what I'm quoted but never mind http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2770911/Banks-face-paying-billions-customer-wins-landmark-legal-battle-against-Lloyds-unfair-750-fine-just-2-67-overdrawn.html

Comment

Mirror have picked it up as well http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news...ictory-4329713

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                                Working...
                                X