• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

LegalBeagle Wins Bank Charge Case - Lloyds Overdraft Terms deemed Unfair

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: LegalBeagle Wins Bank Charge Case - Lloyds Overdraft Terms deemed Unfair

When is their (and our) deadline ?
    #staysafestayhome

Any support I provide is offered without liability, if you are unsure please seek professional legal guidance.

Received a Court Claim? Read >>>>> First Steps

Comment

Wednesday 17th I believe

Comment

Originally posted by orfoster View Post
        Wednesday 17th I believe
        Yep it should have been the 11th (21 days from date of judgment) but I suppose as no one on your side knew it was handed down until days later they put it back.

Comment

Originally posted by EXC View Post
          Yep it should have been the 11th (21 days from date of judgment) but I suppose as no one on your side knew it was handed down until days later they put it back.
          The actual judgment is dated 12 August, handed down on 21st but the Judgment/Order was dated 27th August, so I guess this is the date they go by? As that came days later. No payment, so I assume Lloyds may be considering an appeal.

Comment

Are we ready either way may I ask?

Comment

Oh yes :tinysmile_twink_t2:
              "Although scalar fields are Lorentz scalars, they may transform nontrivially under other symmetries, such as flavour or isospin. For example, the pion is invariant under the restricted Lorentz group, but is an isospin triplet (meaning it transforms like a three component vector under the SU(2) isospin symmetry). Furthermore, it picks up a negative phase under parity inversion, so it transforms nontrivially under the full Lorentz group; such particles are called pseudoscalar rather than scalar. Most mesons are pseudoscalar particles." (finally explained to a captivated Celestine by Professor Brian Cox on Wednesday 27th June 2012 )

I am proud to have co-founded LegalBeagles in 2007

If we have helped you we'd appreciate it if you can leave a review on our Trust Pilot page

If you wish to book an appointment with me to discuss your credit agreement, please email kate@legalbeaglesgroup. com

Comment

Absolutely!

Comment

Bloody brill xxx

Comment

MSE have written a good piece here http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/new...ges-court-case

Comment

''Oliver originally adapted the free template letters in our Reclaim Bank Charges guide and used these to complain first to his bank, and when that was unsuccessful, to the Financial Ombudsman Service. After these routes failed, he decided to take his case to court. ''

I know that's right, but the letter is a bit pants (no offence to MSE meant) but on their heads be it, (retracted following edit)

Nice comment from Mike Dailly ''Mike Dailly, principal solicitor at the Govan Law Centre, says Oliver's case is "potentially dynamite" because the argument used "provides a new legal route to challenging unfair charges". However he warns that it's a complicated argument, and it's still early days yet.''
                      Last edited by Amethyst; 12th September 2014, 17:22:PM.
                      #staysafestayhome

Any support I provide is offered without liability, if you are unsure please seek professional legal guidance.

Comment

Agree, I don't understand why LB couldn't be mentioned. They didn't seem against us when I spoke to them.

Also, I heavily adapted the letters, being recognition but hey ho! It's publicity.

Probably more opportunities to come....

Comment

And I don't remember this

Reclaiming bank charges ........ was once an open door. You simply threatened to take a bank to court or to the Ombudsman, and it sent you a goodwill cheque for six years' worth of charges, plus interest.
                          We used to work fricking hard and almost always had to submit court claims and go literally to the steps before they'd settle.

Sorry ranting.
                          #staysafestayhome

Comment

http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/new...232.1368333186

A MoneySaver has become what's believed to be the first person to win a bank charges case in court since 2007.
                            Oliver Foster-Burnell, a 28-year-old Trade Union Organiser from Taunton in Somerset, has successfully reclaimed £743 in overdraft charges, plus interest after winning his case against Lloyds TSB at Taunton County Court last month.
                            He was also awarded an additional £1,000 in damages, after Lloyds TSB applied a related incorrect default to his credit file.

Solicitors' firm Howlett Clarke, which represented Oliver, say it's the first outright court victory in a bank charges case since 2007 when all cases in the UK were put on hold pending the outcome of the Office of Fair Trading's unsuccessful challenge against the banks in the Supreme Court in April 2008.
                            MoneySavingExpert.com has been at the forefront of helping people reclaim bank charges for years.

Snowballing charges

Oliver originally adapted the free template letters in our Reclaim Bank Charges guide and used these to complain to his bank. When he was unable to reclaim all of the bank charges applied, he took his case to the Financial Ombudsman Service.

After both of these routes failed to recoup all of the charges, he decided to take his case to court and says he also benefited from support from the LegalBeagles forum.

His claim relates to charges incurred when he dipped into his unauthorised overdraft between April 2008 and May 2009. He says during one two month period he was charged over £300 when he was already suffering from financial hardship.
                            Oliver says: "It is unfair that the banking industry is allowed to profit while anyone suffers financial hardship by applying these charges and allowing them to snowball out of control. I am so pleased that in my case the judge awarded in my favour."

Does this case affect other bank charges claims?
                            As Oliver's case was heard at a county court it doesn't set a precedent, meaning others courts in England and Wales do not have to follow the ruling.

However, both Lloyds TSB and Oliver have just under a week to decide whether or not to appeal the decision at the UK's Court of Appeal. Decisions made at the Court of Appeal are binding on all county courts in England and Wales.

Mike Dailly, principal solicitor at the Govan Law Centre, says Oliver's case is "potentially dynamite" because the argument used "provides a new legal route to challenging unfair charges". However he warns that it's a complicated argument, and it's still early days yet.

MoneySavingExpert.com is currently analysing what exactly the case means for others trying to reclaim.

What's the deal with bank charges?
                            Reclaiming bank charges from current or closed accounts specifically for busting your overdraft limit, bounced cheques and direct debits was once an open door. You simply threatened to take a bank to court or to the Ombudsman, and it sent you a goodwill cheque for six years' worth of charges, plus interest.

It's been more difficult since a November 2009 Supreme Court ruling, but some payouts are still possible for those in financial hardship who've had a number of charges that have snowballed over a longer period. See our Reclaim Bank Charges guide for more information on how to claim.

If you've had a one-off recent bank charge or a charge applied in error, just call the bank and see if it'll wipe it.

Comment/Discuss

Discuss this MSE news story: Bank charges

Comment

LOL I think it's actually very flattering that MSE are keen to be closely associated with this victory.

To be brutally honest the principle credit has to go to Tom Brennan for developing the superb Hatosag arguments used in Ollies case. No forum was running angles anything close to this......
                              And yes, I liked Mike Daillys comment....spot on.
                              "Although scalar fields are Lorentz scalars, they may transform nontrivially under other symmetries, such as flavour or isospin. For example, the pion is invariant under the restricted Lorentz group, but is an isospin triplet (meaning it transforms like a three component vector under the SU(2) isospin symmetry). Furthermore, it picks up a negative phase under parity inversion, so it transforms nontrivially under the full Lorentz group; such particles are called pseudoscalar rather than scalar. Most mesons are pseudoscalar particles." (finally explained to a captivated Celestine by Professor Brian Cox on Wednesday 27th June 2012 )

I am proud to have co-founded LegalBeagles in 2007

If we have helped you we'd appreciate it if you can leave a review on our Trust Pilot page

If you wish to book an appointment with me to discuss your credit agreement, please email kate@legalbeaglesgroup. com

Comment

Whoops, http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/...1#post66490558

There are a few threads going other one is http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/....php?t=5047472

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                                Working...
                                X