• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Think it's time he retired

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Think it's time he retired

A judge praised burglars for their ‘courage’ and claimed prison ‘very rarely does anybody any good’ as he allowed a serial intruder to walk free from court.

Judge Peter Bowers said burglar Richard Rochford deserved to be jailed for two-and-a-half years but he decided to take an ‘extraordinary chance’ by not locking him up.

Recognising the controversy he was causing, the judge added: ‘I might get pilloried for it.’

Controversial: Judge Peter Bowers admitted he could be 'pilloried' for his decision to let Richard Rochford go free after he admitted to a string of burglaries

His astonishing comments were condemned by victims of the burglar and follow a series of controversial remarks by the same judge in previous cases.

Rochford, 26, burgled three homes in East Cleveland and tried to burgle another in the space of five days. He committed the crimes to feed a drug addiction that started when he was in prison for another offence, Teesside Crown Court was told.

'Serial burglar': Richard Rochford went on a burglary spree in February

Passing sentence, Judge Bowers told him: ‘It takes a huge amount of courage as far as I can see for someone to burgle somebody’s house. I wouldn’t have the nerve.

‘Yet somehow, bolstered by drugs and desperation, you were prepared to do that.’ The judge added: ‘I think prison very rarely does anybody any good. It mostly leaves people the chance to change their own mind if they want to. I don’t think anybody would benefit from sending you to prison today. We’d all just feel a bit easier that a burglar had been taken off the streets.’

Rochford could have been jailed for two-and-a-half years but instead he was given a suspended 12-month jail sentence, a two-year supervision order with drug rehabilitation, 200 hours’ unpaid work and a one-year driving ban. The offence was Rochford’s first burglary conviction, although he was cautioned for burgling a home at the age of ten. He has previously been jailed for three years for arson.

Rochford went on a burglary spree in February. He took a laptop, satnav and money from the first home he raided and drove away the family’s Ford Focus car, which he damaged and abandoned.

'It takes a huge amount of courage as far as I can see for someone to burgle somebody's home. I wouldn't have the nerve'
    Judge Peter Bowers

The following night he took jewellery, a handbag and electrical items from another home. His girlfriend Amy Kyme, 22, who acted as lookout and helped dispose of the stolen goods, was given a suspended prison sentence. Rochford walked into both unlocked homes while the owners slept.
    He admitted two burglaries and asked for another burglary and an attempted burglary to be taken into consideration. He also admitted aggravated vehicle taking.

Graham Brown, defending, told the court the drug habit Rochford developed ‘scarred his life’ and ‘the system failed him’. He claimed the petty crook had changed his ways.

Mr Brown said Rochford had had a ‘major wake-up call,’ and had ‘seen the light’. He confessed, co-operated with police and stopped using drugs, the court heard.

Rochford ransacked the home of Mark Clayton, 47, an Army veteran who served in Afghanistan and Bosnia. Mr Clayton said the judge made a ‘grave misjudgment’.

Sentencing: Rochford was given a suspended 12-month jail sentence at Teesside Crown Court

He added: ‘Picking dead bodies up after they’ve been blown up, to go into that takes courage. Walking into someone’s house on an opportunistic whim and basically devastating someone’s life by taking things that man has worked so hard for all his life, and taking it away without a thought, isn’t courage.’

Mr Clayton said his son Mark, 16, was at first wrongly arrested on suspicion of the burglary, causing further upset for his family. Rochford stole a wallet containing £500 of life savings when he raided the home of retired shipyard worker John Hopper, 73, and wife Vera, 71.

Daughter Sharon Hopper, 40, said: ‘I can’t believe what the judge said. What really took courage was my parents having to continue living in their house after he had invaded their privacy.

‘Until the judge has had his own home burgled while he is lying asleep inside it, he cannot possibly know the fear and distress suffered by decent people like my parents.’

Judge Bowers, 67, is a married father of three who has been a judge for more than 20 years.

He has made contradictory comments about burglary sentencing in recent months. In May, he criticised sentencing guidelines that let first-time burglars escape with a ‘slap across the wrist’.

But weeks later, he allowed a man with almost 80 crimes on his record to walk free for a burglary committed four days after his release from prison, telling the court: ‘I must be getting soft in my old age.’

Judge Bowers then told David Wray, 39: ‘I am quite sure you are capable of a lot better. If you are bright-eyed and bushy-tailed, you’ll be all right.’

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...=feeds-newsxml
    Tags: None

Re: Think it's time he retired

What is wrong with this judge....how comes he let this burglar off and others. Yep he needs to be retired and sooner the better or he needs to get serious about these type of crimes and give the proper sentencing.

Comment

And a classic case of the lunatic taking over the asylum.......with a bit of luck the burglar will thank the judge by ransacking his house

Comment

God knows what was going through that mans head, instead of a suspended the guy should have got the maximum.

Bloody hell, if I get accepted as a magistrate people like that need to be fearful because I will send them for the max available.

Comment

I wonder if he would feel the same if his own house had been burgled and his property and treasured possessions stolen/vandalised?

Comment

Originally posted by Ruby View Post
            I wonder if he would feel the same if his own house had been burgled and his property and treasured possessions stolen/vandalised?
            My thoughts exactly !

I guess we will now have a spate of buglaries because the Judge said it was "Courageous" !!

Comment

Anyone broke into my house he would need all the courage he could get,,after all,hospital food is notoriously bad,,it takes a brave person to eat it

Comment

Originally posted by Inca View Post
                Anyone broke into my house he would need all the courage he could get,,after all,hospital food is notoriously bad,,it takes a brave person to eat it
                But a lot harder to eat when you have no teeth lol

Comment

My sentiments exactly,enaid,,suck a stew thru a straw lol,,
                  Last edited by Inca; 6th September 2012, 10:10:AM. Reason: forgot how to spell

Comment

Speechless :tape:
                    "Although scalar fields are Lorentz scalars, they may transform nontrivially under other symmetries, such as flavour or isospin. For example, the pion is invariant under the restricted Lorentz group, but is an isospin triplet (meaning it transforms like a three component vector under the SU(2) isospin symmetry). Furthermore, it picks up a negative phase under parity inversion, so it transforms nontrivially under the full Lorentz group; such particles are called pseudoscalar rather than scalar. Most mesons are pseudoscalar particles." (finally explained to a captivated Celestine by Professor Brian Cox on Wednesday 27th June 2012 )

I am proud to have co-founded LegalBeagles in 2007

If we have helped you we'd appreciate it if you can leave a review on our Trust Pilot page

If you wish to book an appointment with me to discuss your credit agreement, please email kate@legalbeaglesgroup. com

Comment

Courage is coming home to your house when 7 months pregnant and finding it burgled, right down to the contents of the fridge eaten and drunk, the baby's moneybox emptied, gifts from people who have died gone and the feeling that what should be your little bit of protection, your home, has been violated. Then when the police tell you they probably won't ever catch them and that our items would have been sold at the local pub by now, the acceptance that things are gone forever - that's courage.

More rehab for addicts would be welcomed and maybe that was his point but if he can't find a way to put that without using stupid and inciting phrases, he is not fit for purpose as a judge.

Comment

The thing that REALLY gets me is how many substance abusers START their habit in Jail??? (or say they did....)

Yes, I agree lots more support for addicts, methadone does not work (10x harder to quit than heroin) so why not 'prescribe' the heroin??? Cut off the street dealers and the need to steal to support their habit.
                        "Although scalar fields are Lorentz scalars, they may transform nontrivially under other symmetries, such as flavour or isospin. For example, the pion is invariant under the restricted Lorentz group, but is an isospin triplet (meaning it transforms like a three component vector under the SU(2) isospin symmetry). Furthermore, it picks up a negative phase under parity inversion, so it transforms nontrivially under the full Lorentz group; such particles are called pseudoscalar rather than scalar. Most mesons are pseudoscalar particles." (finally explained to a captivated Celestine by Professor Brian Cox on Wednesday 27th June 2012 )

I am proud to have co-founded LegalBeagles in 2007

If we have helped you we'd appreciate it if you can leave a review on our Trust Pilot page

If you wish to book an appointment with me to discuss your credit agreement, please email kate@legalbeaglesgroup. com

Comment

Having lost a sibling through addiction (alcohol) my opinion is,,,,,,why sympathise? My sister chose her path,,she got given all the help/rehab etc and still chose booze,,she left me when I needed her most and it makes me so angry,it devastated our family,and my opinion on junkies is the same,,they know that first hit of coke/heroin/meth is more than likely to lead to an horrific addiction that is going to destroy their life (and everyone in their life) .They rob to feed that addiction ,,wreck the lives of those they rob from,but thats now ok cos a Judge who is a complete prat says it is cos bless their little hearts they are big brave bunnyrabbits fighting an addiction THAT THEY CHOSE TO START!!!!!,,Grrrrrrrr makes me so angry :mad2:

Comment

Shocking.
                            We had our caravan broken into and smashed up several years ago, the tea-leaves involved used our stabilizer to break into at least twelve more at the same time.
                            Mostly taking canned food and a portable TV and radio.
                            The police told it it was more likely to be "addicts" who would sell the sellable stuff and eat the food.
                            We found out through contacts who had actually done it and that he was selling our stuff in a local pub, but were told by the police that if we got it back WE would be prosecuted for receiving stolen goods!
                            We also found out, much later that one of the people involved was a police informer.
                            :mad2:
                            Never give up, Never surrender.

Comment

Sometimes,the law of this land is a complete ass!!,,Just re read my post,,I don't half know how to rant lol!!,,I despise burglars of homes with a passion,,it's vile and creepy and makes one feel defiled,The one place you should feel safe in is your own house/property! I got burgled many years ago and I was extremely fortunate to be able to kick the proverbial out of my burglar as it was a person known to me,,and trust me,,he regretted crossing me,,

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                              Working...
                              X