• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Money spent by power of attorney/executor prior to death

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Money spent by power of attorney/executor prior to death

Take the money
    If this person misused or stole the money they may have been clever enough to cover it up very well they may well say they were given verbal permission to do whatever with the money very difficult to disprove would the Police and CPS spend a lot of time investigating it.
    By all means contact the Police and ask for their Opinion on pursuing this

Comment

Originally posted by righty View Post
      What "unwanted unexpected repercussions"
      If we knew they would not be unexpected:tinysmile_twink_t2:, but situations like this which are taken to the next stage (police involvement?) can lead to irreparable divisions in families and between friends. One can't be sure how others will react and it pays to tread warily.

Comment

As beneficiary you are only entitled to see the final accounts of the estate from the date of death, until the executor signed them off as being completed according to the will.
        So you would know what money was available, what expenses were paid, example, funeral costs, any taxes, debts and finally payments to the beneficiaries.
        The executor is allowed to deduct any reasonable expenses from the estate, that he encountered in order to do his duty.
        “The only man who sticks closer to you in adversity more than a friend, is a creditor.”

Comment

Thanks again all. I'm really not sure what to do at the moment. One further question though, in terms of the probate forms, should all spending by the power of attorney in the time that they had control of the accounts be included on the probate forms? As mentioned earlier, I've been informed that there is a shortfall of £80k in the accounts but have no written evidence of this. If my grandmother had told the power of attorney to spend the money, or if money had been transferred out of my grandmother's accounts, should this have been declared? I have not seen the forms so do not know what was included.

Comment

All you are entitled to see will be from the time of death - and there is the rub, Hopeful, with which we keep colliding

Comment

Thanks MissFM, I was checking as I thought things like gifts etc had to be declared in terms of the value of the estate.

Comment

You are quite right, Hopeful, they should - however, if there are shenanigans then you would be hard put to flush them out.

This is just my (rather jaded) opinion. What should happen and what does (if someone is less than scrupulous) being miles apart.

Comment

I believe that the executor has to collect in all assets of the estate.
                  He then has to pay all taxes and debts from whatever money is available.
                  He then has to pay the beneficiaries of the estate according to the will.
                  He must keep a final account of any and all transactions that he has carried out since becoming executor.
                  It is those accounts that you are entitled to see.
                  “The only man who sticks closer to you in adversity more than a friend, is a creditor.”

Comment

Originally posted by MissFM View Post
                    You are quite right, Hopeful, they should - however, if there are shenanigans then you would be hard put to flush them out.

This is just my (rather jaded) opinion. What should happen and what does (if someone is less than scrupulous) being miles apart.
                    Correct. There is the 7-year rule whereby any 'gifts' (with some exceptions) given in the 7 years prior to the donors death *should* be included as part of the estate. At least that's how I interpret this > http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/inheritanceta...empt-gifts.htm and this > http://www.which.co.uk/money/tax/gui...ax-free-gifts/

However the first problem is proving that the £80k ever existed !
                    They were out to get me!! But now it's too late!!

Comment

Originally posted by basa48 View Post
                      Correct. There is the 7-year rule whereby any 'gifts' (with some exceptions) given in the 7 years prior to the donors death *should* be included as part of the estate. At least that's how I interpret this > http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/inheritanceta...empt-gifts.htm and this > http://www.which.co.uk/money/tax/gui...ax-free-gifts/

However the first problem is proving that the £80k ever existed !
                      Basa you are quite right! I'd forgotten about the 7 year rule. Maybe there will be more info in the final accounts as to what happened prior to death than feared, bearing in mind that any executor is more in awe of HMCT than anyone else x

Comment

[QUOTE=basa

However the first problem is proving that the £80k ever existed ![/QUOTE]

The second problem would be PROVING it had been used not for the benefit of the grandmother

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                        Working...
                        X