• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Appearance being raised against a caveat

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Appearance being raised against a caveat

Hi,
    I have a caveat in place and expecting a warning or appearance to be raised. Where will this come from and in what form (registered post , email, normal post)
    Could this cause the caveat to be removed without my knowledge?
    solicitor who drafted will is also the executor and concerned they will raise one and not tell me. I’ve asked them as executor to request information but I’ve not heard back since sent in October.
    Thinking of asking them to stand down given their involvement . They will probably call on them as witness if goes to court

i have justified reasons for the caveat

thanks
    Tags: None

I am a bit confused.
    Normally it is the executor that issues the warning against the caveator.
    A warning, once officially stamped by Probate, is returned to the executor who then delivers it by post or by hand to the caveator.

Comment

Does this handy guide help? https://www.gov.uk/stop-probate-application
      Lawyer (solicitor) - retired from practice, now supervising solicitor in a university law clinic. I do not advise by private message.

Litigants in Person should download and read this: https://www.judiciary.uk/wp-content/..._in_Person.pdf

Comment

Originally posted by Pezza54 View Post
        I am a bit confused.
        Normally it is the executor that issues the warning against the caveator.
        A warning, once officially stamped by Probate, is returned to the executor who then delivers it by post or by hand to the caveator.
        ok thanks so it’s solicitor who is the executer that issues an attendance.
        so how do they do this? As we have issues with the solicitor I’m concerned they wont send me one if there’s no proof?

Comment

Originally posted by atticus View Post
          thanks but that just explains how to enter a caveat. I already have this in place. my concern is on how it could be removed .
          I know it’s via an ‘attendance’ being sent to me from the executor. But there doesn’t look like there are safeguards if I want to retain it.
          lets say it’s arrives when I’m holiday. It has a time limit of two weeks to reply or the executor can apply to have it removed. I would have thought the probate office would not remove it without consent from myself. This doesn’t appear to be the case.

i just checked my emails and I did reply to the original request (not an attendance) from the executer. Just basic information of my case so they can’t really say they were unaware

Comment

It explains rather more than that, if you read through the several pages.
            Lawyer (solicitor) - retired from practice, now supervising solicitor in a university law clinic. I do not advise by private message.

Litigants in Person should download and read this: https://www.judiciary.uk/wp-content/..._in_Person.pdf

Comment

Found this which explains protocol. So I enter appearance direct to the probate office
              so do I have to give full facts or just outline details of reason of caveat?

The Executor can take steps to try and have the caveat removed by lodging a "Warning" at the Probate Registry. The Warning is then served on the person who entered the caveat, who then has 14 days to "enter an Appearance" at the Probate Registry should they wish to keep the caveat in place.

Comment

There are guidance notes "Stop a probate application" on the gov.uk website.
                You should request the Appearance form from the Probate Registry and read the notes. The registry will expect good reasons why you consider the will invalid and why you should benefit under an older will or the rules of intestacy.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                Working...
                X