• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Carer in new Will

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Carer in new Will

Hello my grandmother died recently aged 101 and my mother and dad thought they were Executors on a Will which was made by my grandmother back in 2005. However, it came to light the morning after her death, that another will superseded the current will and the executor (my grandmother's carer's son) was now organising the funeral, etc. As you can imagine, by mother is devestated and everything is out of her control. We have asked for a copy of the Will but the Executor, I understand, does not have to show us a copy but has sent us portions showing my nan's wishes for her funeral which are directly opposing the previous will and wanted a Direct cremation. My nan was a churchgoer and originally asked for a cremation with service. We also have no idea who the beneficiaries are as this was blotted out along with the date, signature and witnesses. I want to support my mum in this, but feel helpless as these awful people hold everything in their favour. I am thinking of engaging a solicitor to deal with the challenge on this, but not sure if it is worth the stress for my mum. The new Will is a handwritten one on a form whereas the original was made properly through a solicitor. Has any one anyone been through a similar scenario?
    Tags: None

There have been cases where the elderly have been taken advantage of by those careing for them, particularly if the elderly person suffers in a way that they can be influenced by others and family may not be in touch on a regular basis.

As the executor is being obstructive, although well within his rights, I feel that you should challenge this and an initial consultation with a solicitor is often free and without obligation. Perhaps speaking with the firm of solicitors that set up the original Will may help,

Comment

Thank you, yes we are looking to challenge this as I feel it is totally wrong that someone would do this to an 81 year old woman who only just lost her mum.

Comment

Let us know how matters progress please.

Comment

Does anyone know if items can be removed from the Deceased flat (in sheltered housing) by the Executor and his mother (carer)before the family have a chance to get anything? The "Executor" left a box of items they thought my mum would like in the lobby of the Sheltered housing complex. The will has yet to be proved at probate. As you can appreciate my mother is very upset.

Comment

Anyone could remove items if they have access. The executor needs to check the value of all assets to the best of their ability in order to apply for Probate.

Comment

The circumstances are so concerning I would be considering entering a caveat to stop probate.
              This will give you (and your solicitor) time to investigate fully the circumstances surrounding the execution of the will

Comment

Originally posted by des8 View Post
                The circumstances are so concerning I would be considering entering a caveat to stop probate.
                This will give you (and your solicitor) time to investigate fully the circumstances surrounding the execution of the will
                Hello Thank you yes I have placed a caveat to stop probate, great advice.

Comment

Check your home insurance as there is often a clause that will fund a challenge to a will.

Comment

Originally posted by Shipshape View Post
                    Check your home insurance as there is often a clause that will fund a challenge to a will.
                    Thank you very much, great advice. Will keep you updated

Comment

I was just wondering the easiest way to lift a caveat on a Will, which I have placed.

Comment

Write to probate office stating you want to lift the caveat

Comment

Originally posted by Missmuffett View Post
                          I was just wondering the easiest way to lift a caveat on a Will, which I have placed.

I am assuming you have sorted all this out with the carers son (executor) if you are going to remove the caveat. It would be good to know the ending of your story.

Comment

Originally posted by twohoots View Post

I am assuming you have sorted all this out with the carers son (executor) if you are going to remove the caveat. It would be good to know the ending of your story.
                            No unfortunately, this has not got a happy ending. Unfortunately, the value of the estate is not enough to fight it. There is no property involved and apparently not enough in the account too. I have had solicitors' advice and the Will despite being a "handwritten" will is valid and clearly states the beneficiary is the carer. It is hard to prove that my grandmother was of sound mind, despite the fact that she was 100 years old when she made this new Will. I feel disgusted that people like this are preying on situations like ours, and we have not even been able to lay her to rest as a family. We have decided to have a private family ceremony at the Church where my granddad is, and who she wanted to be with. I hope these people can live with themselves to do this to a family, who wanted no more than to say goodbye to her with a proper funeral and internment, let alone take her money and belongings as well.

Comment

So sorry to hear this. Is there any way you can raise your issues with a professional body or the local authority or anyone who has oversight of carers?

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                              Working...
                              X