• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Carer in new Will

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by islandgirl View Post
    So sorry to hear this. Is there any way you can raise your issues with a professional body or the local authority or anyone who has oversight of carers?
    No unfortunately, this woman was not employed by an agency, she just her local friend who helped my grandmother. Mmmmm.....

Comment

alarm bells?????maybe

Comment

That's a good point. This organisation may be able to shed some light on what home carers can or cannot do. Getting their patient to make a new Will would seem to be something that was regulated. Try contacting them if you wish as there may be some information they have when this sort of thing happens. Unfortunately it happens too often. So sorry to hear how this has gone so far.

Care standards and the CQC - Carers UK

https://www.carersuk.org › ... › Getting care and support
        The Care Quality Commission (CQC) is the regulator that monitors and inspects all organisations providing care to ensure standards are being met. All NHS

Comment

Originally posted by Missmuffett View Post

No unfortunately, this has not got a happy ending. Unfortunately, the value of the estate is not enough to fight it. There is no property involved and apparently not enough in the account too. I have had solicitors' advice and the Will despite being a "handwritten" will is valid and clearly states the beneficiary is the carer. It is hard to prove that my grandmother was of sound mind, despite the fact that she was 100 years old when she made this new Will. I feel disgusted that people like this are preying on situations like ours, and we have not even been able to lay her to rest as a family. We have decided to have a private family ceremony at the Church where my granddad is, and who she wanted to be with. I hope these people can live with themselves to do this to a family, who wanted no more than to say goodbye to her with a proper funeral and internment, let alone take her money and belongings as well.
          Sorry to hear this. the caveat you put on is for 6 months and costs you nothing to remove so let it run almost the 6 months then tell the Probate Office to remove it.

I hate people who try and swindle old folk. My late Dad’s older brother was a widower and my Dad always looked out for him as he had no children. There was a woman who used to go in and do a bit of cleaning and get his shopping and he was very good to her and used to tell my Dad he had given her extra money because she said her son was struggling. he was just a very kind hearted man. I don’t suppose she knew he told my Dad this. He also told my Dad where he kept money in the house which he had always done “for emergencies”. We are talking thousands because my Dad used to collect his pension and my Uncle was unable to get out and bank it in later years so it just built up.

When he passed away my Dad had to clear the house as Executor but there was not a penny in the whole house as she had taken it. at the funeral she could not look my Dad in the eye because he said to her “I think you already had enough from my brother for your son and yourself without helping yourself to the rest.”

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
          Working...
          X