• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Executor Issues

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

They are refusing to provide any information until they have the information they need. However, I have provided them with line by line details of what they need 4-5 times, so I'm stuck.

One of the lines they are questioning is a monthly payment into the spouses account for the deceased share of mortgages, gas etc while they were still alive. Unless I'm wrong the estate isn't formed until death and the decreased still had liability until then? Another line is an asset was sold and then given to the spouse to pay off debts for a new sofa (this was all done 3-4 months before the deceased died).

I'm not sure what else they need, if they feel its against the law then they need to take action to recover monies owed - my view is that it was done before the estate was formed and the person was in a good state mentally, so I don't think it should be any business of the executors.

Comment

The executor seems to be overthinking his duties.
      He does need to account to HMRC for any large gifts (total over £3000 p.a.) made in the seven years prior to the testator's death, but that is about it.
      Assets and formal debts need to be accounted for, informal debts are probably uncollectable and should be ignored.
      If he suspects there has been wrongdoing he should inform the relevant authorities.
      If he discovers further assets he might have to notify HMRC and amend the grant of probate, plus of course distribute to the appropriate beneficiaries

Comment

They are just trying to string me along, so I'm not sure I have much choice but to put in a summons. I've reviewed the grant of probate and it says zero funds but I know that the estate had several hundred £ to distribute, as they have sent me some details years ago now.

Comment

I'm just filling in the summons and I'm not sure how much detail to go into on this section - "State what you believe the person named on the grant has or has not done and why they should file an Inventory and Account"

Do I go into much detail or just state that as residual beneficiary I have requested and have not received any information?

Comment

List in bullet points where you think the executor has acted improperly
            E.g. you mentioned you thought the actual distribution to be wrong[ based on the will?]
            the lay executor has said they are charging for their own time.
            he has declined to issue you, a residuary beneficiary, with a final estate accounting

etc etc

PS don't forget your affidavit

Comment

A quick update - the courts system is woeful and it took nearly 18 months to get this to the place that I now need to personally serve the order.

I live a long way from the person, I'm assuming I can use a service to personally deliver? looks like its c£100. Any advice on decent companies?

Thanks for the help DES8

Comment

Thanks for update and agree the time delays are horrendous.

I doubt anyone will make recommendations regarding process servers.
                I have had no experience of them

Comment

Find a process server who will provide a certificate of service. You will need to file this with the court to prove service, should you need to take action to enforce compliance/sanction non compliance with the order.
                  Lawyer (solicitor) - retired from practice, now supervising solicitor in a university law clinic. I do not advise by private message.

Litigants in Person should download and read this: https://www.judiciary.uk/wp-content/..._in_Person.pdf

Comment

Thanks both, great help as always

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                    Working...
                    X