• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

My father inherited a share of a house but passed away

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My father inherited a share of a house but passed away

I'll try to keep this as simple as possible, i would just like some help understanding how these things work but basically a great uncle passed away around 2 years ago, he left his £500,000 house to his neices and nephews, which would of included my father who I had a rocky relationship with all of my life, he is not included on my birth certificate but the family know I am his daughter etc, unfortunately my father passed away last year and I have recently found out about this inheritance as my cousin contacted me for my address and explained that since he has now passed away his share will be split between his children and that my great aunt (the uncles sister) who is dealing with it all has included me as I am just as entitled as my 2 sister's, the house went up for sale a month ago and the first I knew of anything was when my cousin told me but I'm a little uncertain, can my sister's try and stop me getting a share? What will happen once the house sells? I've never had this happen before so just would like to put my racing mind at rest, thank you
    Tags: None

It depends on whether your father left a will?

If he disposed of his estate solely in a will to your sisters then they could contest you being entitled to a share of the house sale proceeds.

If died intestate (without a will) his estate passes to his next of kin being firstly any surviving spouse and then children, grand children etc.

As he is not named on your birth certificate they could try to contest this, but all they would really be doing is wasting money as a simple sibling DNA test would show you to be one of his children and entitle you to your share.

Lets hope none of that is required and you all receive what you are entitled.
    COMPLETING AN N180 DIRECTIONS QUESTIONNAIRE (SMALL CLAIMS TRACK) GUIDE

My posts here are based on my experience of a variety of life events. I have no formal legal training & if in doubt take professional legal advice or contact CAB. If you follow anything I write here you do so at your own risk & I accept no liability for any loss, costs or other outcomes.

Private messages are disabled as help is only offered publicly. I do not come on here in the evening, at weekends or on public holidays.

Comment

Just to add that if your father did leave a will and omitted you from it, it is possible that you might have a claim underThe Inheritance (Provision for Family and Dependants) Act 1975

As there is a property involved probate will be required, so you can search here to see**https://www.gov.uk/search-will-probate

Comment

I don't think he left a will, he wasn't the type who had anything to leave although I assume he would of known that he was included in his uncles will, the family have all said that they will stand by me if any others try to contest as they are the ones who have urged me to accept this, but since I have no letters regarding everything I'm just a little uncertain of it all, my father was divorced (or at least I assume he was as they where separated quite a while before he passed) however his uncle stated that the house be left to his nieces and nephews, although if they shall pass then they're share left to his children etc, as far as I know my auntie is the one dealing with the estate etc as she is the one gathering all the names of who the inheritance goes to so I can only hope it's straight forward and that may I receive a letter soon to details what is what, I just don't do well with the waiting and not knowing things *♀️. Thank you for your help

Comment

Have you asked your aunt?

Sometimes we have to wait, and probate can take sometime.
          You shouldn't expect to receive your legacy (if there is one) for at least 6 months, but if you are going to make a claim there is a time limit* (6 months from date of probate so check as per post 3)

Comment

Sorry for the late reply, no I haven't spoken to the aunt, I have only spoken to my cousin via messages, we aren't a very close family, my cousin is the person I am most close to and she is the only reason I am now included in this money as she has given the aunt my name as she feels I am entitled, if not for her i never would of been included, I don't mine waiting for the whole thing I just like to know the info and don't want to miver family since I'm not very close to them

Comment

As there was a house involved in the estate it is necessary tor the person dealing with it to obtain a grant of administration.
              That can be found via the link in post 3.

The intestacy rules are such that you and your sisters (no other children of your father?) will inherit one third each of your father's estate.
              Obviously if settling the estate involves selling a house, it might take a little while.

It might have other benefits if you use this event to reach out to your wider family, who knows?

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
              Working...
              X