• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Right to property - no will

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Right to property - no will

OK, there were a number of boards I could have put this on but couldn't decide, please move to a more appropriate board if needed.* I have a son to a previous relationship some 26 years ago. He has lived in his grandads home since birth with his mum. His mum moved out approx 5 years ago and so he has been with his grandad on his own since. He's now 24 years old.
    His grandad is becoming frail and doesn't have a will, nor will he discuss it. So in anticipation of his grandad passing away with no will, does my son have any rights to the house? There's no mortgage, but he is aware that his mum and her brother will want to sell the house, and he will then be homeless. Does he have any rights to stay in the house etc. or can his mum and her brother evict him?

Many thanks.
    Tags: None

Originally posted by manamaga View Post
    OK, there were a number of boards I could have put this on but couldn't decide, please move to a more appropriate board if needed. I have a son to a previous relationship some 26 years ago. He has lived in his grandads home since birth with his mum. His mum moved out approx 5 years ago and so he has been with his grandad on his own since. He's now 24 years old.
    His grandad is becoming frail and doesn't have a will, nor will he discuss it. So in anticipation of his grandad passing away with no will, does my son have any rights to the house? There's no mortgage, but he is aware that his mum and her brother will want to sell the house, and he will then be homeless. Does he have any rights to stay in the house etc. or can his mum and her brother evict him?

Many thanks.
    The house will pass to the next of kin and they may do with the property as they please, including asking your son to leave and selling it.
    COMPLETING AN N180 DIRECTIONS QUESTIONNAIRE (SMALL CLAIMS TRACK) GUIDE

My posts here are based on my experience of a variety of life events. I have no formal legal training & if in doubt take professional legal advice or contact CAB. If you follow anything I write here you do so at your own risk & I accept no liability for any loss, costs or other outcomes.

Private messages are disabled as help is only offered publicly. I do not come on here in the evening, at weekends or on public holidays.

Comment

If the house passes to his mother, and he wishes to live in it, he may not be able to prevent its sale, but he may have a claim under the Inheritance (Provision for Family and Dependants) Act 1975.
      There is a very strict time limit of six months from the grant of representation or probate within which to bring a claim for financial provision under the Act
      He may also be classed as a beneficial owner

Comment

Originally posted by des8 View Post
        If the house passes to his mother, and he wishes to live in it, he may not be able to prevent its sale, but he may have a claim under the Inheritance (Provision for Family and Dependants) Act 1975.
        There is a very strict time limit of six months from the grant of representation or probate within which to bring a claim for financial provision under the Act
        He may also be classed as a beneficial owner
        The son is certainly within the class of people who could have a claim under the Inheritance (Provision for Family and Dependants) Act, particularly as this is his home.

If he is capable of fending for himself at the age of 24, the court might well rule against him. At the other extreme, if he is completely dependent on his grandfather, the court might well make provision for him.

An application under the Act, particularly if opposed by other beneficiaries, could run up ruinous legal costs. You hear of cases costing upwards of £100,000 in costs. It would be far better for your son to reach some agreement with his mother and her brother.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
        Working...
        X