• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Sky suspends services paid in advance unless DD is set up...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sky suspends services paid in advance unless DD is set up...

... As a matter of resolving a dispute.

in November Sky charged me for two months after mysteriously changing my payment date. They're supposed to - as per the T&C they like to refer to - bill 14 days before payment, in reality it's 11-12 days and I complained same day as the bill was issued. They literally ignored me and took the wrong amount. In my reaction I cancelled all non-contractual services (Sky movies etc) to which they again reacted 3 days late (paid by me of course) and applied another "Sky law", by invoicing the cost of these for a full month more. When I called, I was told upfront that 1) I have a less than £1 discount on my line rental (simply as it was offered to everyone when I joined) so I'm unreasonable and 2) if I would upgrade the dude would do it straight away for me and billing would start same day - downgrade costs 30 days + the Sky-SLA of 3 days to respond. The November billing issue then was closed by this moron of an advisor with a one liner email, that he explained. (Note: the double bill was not my first bill, and I haven't changed my payment date.)

I obviously saw this as an abuse and cancelled my DD.
    For 4 days I had tv suspended though paid for the full month of January. It happened without prior notice, weeks after the DD cancellation went through - I paid the last bill online without DD and then the suspension came.

2 days initial reaction time, and a complaint message after, I was sent another one liner that unless I set up dd my services will remain suspended. No comment whatsoever on the fact that the service is paid for!
    I wrote back, explained in detail the above abuse. Also broke it down to them that I am paid forthnighly since December and their abuse raised the concern paired with their "on the day or after it" debit and my every-second-Wednesday payments' misalignment mean I am up for £21-31 in OD charges if they decide to debit wrong time / wrong amount, or £12 if dd is returned. I explained that in the nonexistent scenario where they bill 14 data before payment due, the bill can get paid online within the timeframe (at my next forthnightly payment) - they'd even get it earlier - subject to some kind of notification when a bill is issued as right now there is absolutely nothing.
    No response except the same: I MUST setup DD. In the words of "we have no invoice method for your account" - guess the bill online is just graffiti.

To cut it short, today they wrote that after 30 days (eg the month that I paid for but they refuse to service) they'll cancel my contract and charge me for early cancellation charges. Since yesterday I included angrily that I would've kicked them out when they messed up but I need internet every day, today they suspended my broadband too. At one point 2 days ago they called 2-hourly. Since that advisor that I detailed above, I don't talk to Sky - I don't need that stress and anxiety. I told them to email not call but they called so I told them to quit calling and even storing my number under the DPA'98. They even called after that, so I explained what that means. Today, their advisor mocked me for it!!

I intend to recover the few pounds of services' cost I lost, since now they "won" the mocking, threatening with more charges after non suppliance and withholding the paid amount, I gave the DD. I wrote to them that it'll be blocked on my bank'a side, and will contact Lloyds tomorrow. Also plan to complain with the relevant authority - but who is it?

how come providers can now withhold the services paid for in advance unless there's DD? Referring to "Sky guidelines"?
    Who governs the likes of Sky?

thank you & sorry for the long rant that is my post. I'm angered and stressed for days - all my other providers - Ecotricity, Thames Water, Council, Three - have accepted that DD is out of the question now, by the way. Only Sky made a fuss.

Re: Sky suspends services paid in advance unless DD is set up...

Originally posted by QueenAnne View Post
    I intend to recover the few pounds of services' cost I lost, since now they "won" the mocking, threatening with more charges after non suppliance and withholding the paid amount, I gave the DD. I wrote to them that it'll be blocked on my bank'a side, and will contact Lloyds tomorrow. Also plan to complain with the relevant authority - but who is it?
    At a guess, I'd say OFCOM.

how come providers can now withhold the services paid for in advance unless there's DD?
    They can't - it's breach of contract.

Referring to "Sky guidelines"?
    Probably not even useful as loo paper.

Who governs ... Sky?
    The Devil, probably.

There are those who believe that Rupert Murdoch is the crotchspawn of Satan.

I'm angered and stressed for days - all my other providers - Ecotricity, Thames Water, Council, Three - have accepted that DD is out of the question now, by the way. Only Sky made a fuss.
    Of those, only Sky is owned by Rupert Murdoch.

Their CEO is one Jeremy Darroch :
    • BSKyB, Grant Way, Isleworth, TW7 5QD
    • 0207 705 3000
    • jeremy.darroch@bskyb.com

Perhaps he will be able to reward the customer "service" munchkin for having mocked you?

Comment

I am having some issues with Sky, I ported to them from O2.

In short - firstly write a letter of complaint to the Executive Team (direct dial phone number 08442 411646). You can either email or post or both as I did.

Put your case across, briefly explain the problem, outlining any steps you have taken to resolve the matter, tell them what you want them to do to put it right. Then and MOST IMPORTANTLY you must ask for a deadlock letter if they do not resolve the matter to your satisfaction. (I have to be honest here and say Sky are very reluctant to give you a deadlock letter because it means you can go to an Ombudsman, what they do is irritate you more - personal experience).

Once you have either the deadlock letter or 8 weeks have passed since your original complaint (and must be marked as a complaint). Then you can pass things over to the ombudsman. The correct one for Sky is -
      http://www.ombudsman-services.org/what-are-you-complaining-about-os.html

Comment

Thanks, both.
        After Sky trying to call me again today (despite the fact that they have their DD and their payment up to date AND I withdrew consent per the DPA 3x already to store my number or call me on it) I wrote to this J. Darroch.
        I forwarded the whole email chain, and explained my frustration, and included that I shall go to OFCOM and the ombudsman services if there's no satisfactory resolution within 8 weeks of this complaint. Honestly, call me paranoid but I felt they are calling exactly because I withdrew consent and was so angry with them... Their last email also seemed rude and mocking. I'm not paranoid normally but I swear, these people at helpdesk seem to enjoy when they upset or hurt someone and push it further. As if they're not monitored.

Comment

I shall go to OFCOM and the ombudsman services if there's no satisfactory resolution within 8 weeks of this complaint.
          Why allow them eight weeks?

I'd give them two, at the very most !

Honestly, call me paranoid but I felt they are calling exactly because I withdrew consent and was so angry with them... Their last email also seemed rude and mocking.
          Can you remove your personal details and post it up?

Comment

Hi, sorry for the late response -- unemployment brought on some deeper issues in negotiating with everyone in this world from JSA... you know everyone wants their "minimum" from the JSA.

Anyways I resolved the sky issue.

I filled their DD form, and continued the complaint referring to the OFCOM (not OFT) as escalation point as they took money for services not supplied. It had 3 more rounds - during one they claimed they don't charge for what they don't supply so what i say is wrong - but i was persistent and tried to explain everything on the level of 5 years old, highlighting the logic in "you charge at the start of the month, for the month. so if later in the month you don't supply, you accrue a credit you must refund since you already charged and THEN didn't supply..."

At the end I got the credit.

Then I cancelled their DD - again.... with Lloyds.

Sky contacted, and keeps saying "to ensure we supply please update your payment preference" but from the experience detailed in the earlier posts, it's obvious they don't see that it's really not feasible to give them automated payment preference.

I pay the bills before their due date (paid a day earlier last month) and there was no outage. It's exactly what I asked Sky to allow me to do. They didn't allow it but since I don't get into arrears, I suppose their automated system doesn't shut me down, or doesn't alert or I don't know. they account is paid on time so how could they stop supplying.
            This has been the end of this matter for the time being.... thanks for all the responses
            Last edited by QueenAnne; 25th February 2014, 16:09:PM. Reason: I wrote OFT but it was OFCOM

Comment

PS - the J. Darroch dude....

Is useless.
              He forwarded my email - without ANYTHING TO ME - to the SAME team who could not deal with me properly.
              He never paid the slightest attention or care. he is useless, no point in contacting the dude.

Comment

PS - the J. Darroch dude....

Is useless.
                He forwarded my email - without ANYTHING TO ME - to the SAME team who could not deal with me properly.
                He never paid the slightest attention or care. he is useless, no point in contacting the dude.

Going thru similar myself, I need to find time to dig out all the facts & figures but their front of desk team are sarcastic & do enjoy putting the boot in. I also pay weekly DD without fail. For some reason they have changed my billing date to the 1st of the month & cut off the services for a measly £11. I've paid that but they wont reconnect unless I send then DD details to pay monthly otherwise there will be a £10 a month charge! Surely this is extortion? As I did not have the DD details on me I sed I would have to pay the £10 extra then to carry on as I am. They then turned around & sed it's not possibly anymore because of the outstanding bill £11. I laughed & sed they were unbelievable & turning into a load of Nazi's (oops! meant to call them obstropulous jobsworths but that came out instead!) I've had nothing but trouble off them & in the past have had to wait months for hundreds of pounds to be paid back whilst still paying to stay connected. I sed I cant believe all this over £11 the cheeky bitch sed would u expect to go in a bar & have free drinks? Wish I'd had all the facts cos I could have sed 'well actually I wouldn't pay a month in advance for them!!' Arghhhhh! (Screeeeeeaming more!) Problem is they have u by the B###S especially small clubs. Just thought I'd add a little rant to your. Anybody else heard about this new thing of monthly DD only right across the board? No-more card payments allowed? I'm hoping it's a pack of lies so I have more ammo x

Comment

Send them a SAR to include a transcript of their & your calls
                  Someone senior will listen to them before sending them out. Hopefully they'll be horrified & you might see some action��

Comment

Go for Plusnet Broadband

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                    Working...
                    X