• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Vodafone charging me £1300 after phone was stolen!!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Vodafone charging me £1300 after phone was stolen!!

Originally posted by PlanB View Post
    There's also the possibility that your stolen iphone was in one place (in the pocket of whoever bought it for £20 ) while your *SIM* card was talking to Romania from another unlocked handset which would have a different IMEI number. That's the normal pattern with stolen phones.

I have no idea whether Vodafone can cross-check the IMEI number relating to the calls made to Romania - I certainly know MI5 can :spy: They can also trace where (geographically speaking) the SIM and handset were at the time of the call. Because if those calls weren't made from your handset then it may not have been you. The balance of probabilities kicks in at that point even in the absence of hard evidence.
    My phone was pin-locked. So, I guess the SIM must have been removed otherwise they couldnt have used the phone. Is that correct?

Comment

Originally posted by sonnyboy View Post
      My phone was pin-locked. So, I guess the SIM must have been removed otherwise they couldnt have used the phone. Is that correct?
      In Hackney even a five year old knows how to bypass the pin-lock on a stolen phone :cell:

Comment

In Hackney even a five year old knows how to bypass the pin-lock on a stolen phone :cell:
        oops! Things have changed at school since I was 5, if thats what they teach in Hackney :-)

Comment

I have no idea whether Vodafone can cross-check the IMEI number relating to the calls made to Romania -
          i didnt say this but, yes they can

Comment

Hi All,
            Lee called, so this is is partly directed straight at him but also to keep this post updated.
            Lee asked if I could call BT with the postcode of the premises and find out whether any calls were made to their number from the public boxes nearby. I just did this and they said they cannot give that information to members of the public. They said that info could only be given if it involved a crime and I said it did. But, even if I had a crime number the info could only be given directly to the police and only if it related to a 'serious' crime or related to the phonebox itself (if that makes sense).
            He did apologise in not calling my crime serious, and this info was given after I asked about reporting the crime after the fact and supplying a crime number.
            So, I do not know where that leaves me (please....no sayings involving a 'creek' and a 'paddle'!).
            Lee - could you trace the IMEI number of the Romanian calls?
            Could you also look to my records and see the time of the call I made on the 15th to Vodafone, and cross reference it with any calls made to Romania that day?
            Could you also listen to that call on the off-chance I may have slipped in the fact that my phone was stolen? The call and PAC request was done by a friendly guy at Carphone Warehouse, so he did most of the talking and then gave me the phone for verification. But, I did talk a little and may have mentioned it. Also, I did explain the whole situation to the guy at Carphone Warehouse so he may also have mentioned my phone had been stolen when he called Vodafone. Its a long shot but I seem to be failing in supplying anything remotely helpful to my case.
            Thanks!
            Last edited by sonnyboy; 17th June 2013, 12:50:PM. Reason: adding more

Comment

Since there is no time limit for reporting a crime to the police why don't you do that now. Tell them you reported it to the CSPO and give them the day/time :mod: The you'll have a crime reference number won't you :high5:

https://www.askthe.police.uk/content/Q585.htm

Comment

Lee may need you to say this verbally to him to be able to go in to the account.

IF the calls were made from the iphone and Lee cant (and Lee is bloody good at his job) find a record of them, your account was not accessed at all. IF this is the case, anything they do will be goodwill.. when you hear all our calls are recorded, they can mean up to 75%

Comment

Originally posted by Hurricane Puffrose View Post
                  IF the calls were made from the iphone and Lee cant . . . . find a record of them, your account was not accessed at all. IF this is the case, anything they do will be goodwill.. when you hear all our calls are recorded, they can mean up to 75%
                  ^^^^ Do you mean the calls the OP made to Vodafone or the calls the thief made to Romania? I think the the OP said earlier that he called Vodafone from a call box in the street not his iphone (obviously because it had been stolen at that point) to report the theft on the day it happened hone:

Maybe I'm just getting confused about which calls Lee can't trace :confused2:

Comment

One other thing, I know exactly where I was during the call on the 15th, as I was in the carephone warehouse shop outside London, and with the assistant who would remember me and verify this (plus I have receipts etc for the temp phone I bought there). If the phone was being used in London at the same time (which I guess it could have been if it had heavy usage that day) I was 50 miles away (2 hours drive with London traffic on a weekday)

Comment

Since there is no time limit for reporting a crime to the police why don't you do that now. Tell them you reported it to the CSPO and give them the day/time :mod: The you'll have a crime reference number won't you :high5:

https://www.askthe.police.uk/content/Q585.htm
                      I know this forum has no expertise on crime, but I'll ask a silly question anyway (never stopped me before!).
                      Do I have to go back to Hackney to report this?
                      Can I report it to my local police station outside London?

Comment

Lee may need you to say this verbally to him to be able to go in to the account.

IF the calls were made from the iphone and Lee cant (and Lee is bloody good at his job) find a record of them, your account was not accessed at all. IF this is the case, anything they do will be goodwill.. when you hear all our calls are recorded, they can mean up to 75%
                        Hi Puff,
                        When you say 75% only, does that mean my call on the 15th may not have been recorded? Thats the only slim piece of 'evidence' I have :tinysmile_cry_t:

Comment

Do I have to go back to Hackney to report this?
                          Can I report it to my local police station outside London?
                          Since this crime was committed in the London area you can report it online using the Metropolitan Police service website. Here's the link :typing:

https://online.met.police.uk/

Comment

Hi Puff,
                            When you say 75% only, does that mean my call on the 15th may not have been recorded? Thats the only slim piece of 'evidence' I have :tinysmile_cry_t:
                            unfortunatly yes.

If lee can find no record of the OP's original call on his account there are only 2 alternatives, no one entered the account and just sat saying "Yes that has been done" without accessing the OP's account at all, or that the OP didnt make the call.

Personally I am going with no one accessing the account, and if this was not recorded.. then Lee will do all he can for you.

I promised to give 100% accurate info about this, even if it's not what people hoped to hear, leave Lee check it out and see what he finds out

Comment

Since this crime was committed in the London area you can report it online using the Metropolitan Police service website. Here's the link :typing:

https://online.met.police.uk/
                              Again I am playing devils advocate here, if the OP gets a CRN now, they may say this is him avoiding the call costs, and that a CRN was needed at the point of reporting it.

This is not a normal thing to happen, but it is something they can say.

Comment

Again I am playing devils advocate here, if the OP gets a CRN now, they may say this is him avoiding the call costs, and that a CRN was needed at the point of reporting it.

This is not a normal thing to happen, but it is something they can say.
                                That's why they have complaints procedures in place!

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                                Working...
                                X