• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Could I have some help with my ex electric company please

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Could I have some help with my ex electric company please

I shall try to keep this as factual but short as possible.

From January 1st 2017 I left one electric company to move over to Utilita. As I did not have a smart metre they needed to ft me with one – no problems. I officially started to be supplied by them from January 2nd 2017 but until they could fit a smart meter on February 3rd I have them meter readings so this was for the period of 2nd Jan- 3rd February 2017.

It was agreed that they would collect what I owed from that period as debt on my meter. This was done verbally by myself over the phone. I left Utilita on 3rd January this year 2018 as they were costing me far too much. When I left there was a credit balance on my PAYG meters.

I still live at the same address however 2 weeks ago I received a final red demand letter asking for a sum of money. It didnt say what this was to cover just pay up. I wrote to them obtaining proof of posting asking for a full explanation as to why I owed this money.

On Monday I received another more nasty letter saying they are passing me on to debt collectors but nothing in responce to my letter. So Monday afternoon I wrote again enclosing a copy of my first letter and again asking for a detailed explanation as to why I owe this money.

Today I have received an email saying that it was for the period before I had a new metre fitted so 2nd of Jan-3rd Feb last year. So they according to them didn't collect that money through the meter as they said they would. As I said until 2 weeks ago I knew nothing of this.

Can anyone please advise if I should just pay this and draw a line under the matter or does back billing come into play here as as its been almost 2 years and I genuinely thought this was paid and the fact that it want means im now going to have to try and find this money in the festive time of year. The thought of debt collectors frighten me as have 4 small children.
    Tags: None

How much approximately is the 'debt' they are chasing you for ?

How much was the credit on the meter when you left and what happened with that ?

Prior to moving to Utilita were you on a PAYG account ? and are you on a PAYG account with your new supplier ?

Do you have a copy of the bill for that first month ? and the actual meter readings from Jan 1st when you changed over TO Utilita? and did you take a final reading before they changed over your meter ?

I think you should send Utilita a SAR to begin with to get hold of all the information -Subject Access Request Letter

Tagging slainte caragh to have a mooch in for you xx
    #staysafestayhome

Any support I provide is offered without liability, if you are unsure please seek professional legal guidance.

Received a Court Claim? Read >>>>> First Steps

Comment

Good afternoon Amethyst
      The deby is for just over £50, The credit on both the gas and electric was around £3 per fuel which I was never refunded for, both prior to and now I am not a PAYG user. It was working out much more expensive. £50 for a months use does sound about right for us. I never recieved a copy of any bill for the first month. I was told that this would be collected as debt through my meter via a highter unit charge. This I beleived as on PAYG our bills rocketed. My opening meter reading was 10268 so that was Jan 1st 2017 but I do not no longer have the final meter read as it wasn written on last years calender. I shall read up on a SAR with thanks
      I was reading about and wondered if back billing applied in this instance?

Comment

Thanks for the tag Amethyst

Hi hun, more questions than answers at this stage, but they are all vital.

When you left Utilia, was the meter in credit and was it a PAYG? When did the transfer take place?

Did you receive a final bill from them and if not (VITAL) did you request one? If so what was their response?

If you can get me the reads and the TIL (your provider can and MUST include this in the SAR - but ask for it just in case) I can then work out the bill and check it's right to begin with.

Were you in contract with Utilia and are they charging exit fees?

Have you disputed the balance? If so why is it with a DCA, contact them again and remind them they are collecting on a disputed balance. Keep up the pressure on them, and if they refuse to help ask for a deadlock letter so you can take this to the Ombudsman!

Insist everything is done in writing, and IF you are contacted by the DCA tell them they are collecting on a disputed balance and need to contact Utilita.

Apologies if this sounds vauge, I have been on nights for 4 nights and my brain is slightly frazzled. I will have a nap and check for updates.. then get back to you

PLEASE NOTE: I do not work regular office hours and might be MIA for a couple of days. If this happens ask someone to Messenger me and I will pop back and look, I'm not being ignorant... honest!

Callie
        PLEASE NOTE: I work irregular hours including nights and sleep in shifts. If I have not responded in 48 hours, please ask an admin to Messenger me!

"If you ever feel alone, remember, I am just the other side of the rainbow, or just south of the North Star. Whichever is closer." - A.J Murphy. 17/3/1974 - 16/03/1997 (RIP babe <3)

Comment

Slainte Caragh when Ieft Utilita we had a PAYG top up meter with around 3 pounds on as we left and our new and current supplier started the next day. I never recieved any bils from them at all only confirming my warm home is it called payment. They charged no exit fees didnt want the plug in meter back. I have had what youd call promtional material since asking me to come back to them. Can I ask you what effect this is going to have on my credit record if this is passed onto a debt colelction agenct. DP and I are hoping to apply for a mortgage next year so need to be totally clean. I was aware that I had to pay the bill until a smary meter was fitted however was told this could be collected as debt on the meter which is why I assume the top ups never lasted. I am thinking I spent a lot of time on the phone to them prior to setting this all up and my phone calls are itemised. Is it possible that if I manage to get hold of bills for around 2 years ago could they trace the phone call? My thought is why would they wait almost 2 years to bil this to me?

Comment

PS please how do I request a SAR?

Comment

Subject Access Request Letter
              #staysafestayhome

Any support I provide is offered without liability, if you are unsure please seek professional legal guidance.

Received a Court Claim? Read >>>>> First Steps

Comment

Originally posted by Joshuasdaddy View Post
                Slainte Caragh when Ieft Utilita we had a PAYG top up meter with around 3 pounds on as we left and our new and current supplier started the next day. I never recieved any bils from them at all only confirming my warm home is it called payment. They charged no exit fees didnt want the plug in meter back.
                Who put the credit (monthly bill) meter in?

I have had what youd call promtional material since asking me to come back to them. Can I ask you what effect this is going to have on my credit record if this is passed onto a debt colelction agenct. DP and I are hoping to apply for a mortgage next year so need to be totally clean.
                I was aware that I had to pay the bill until a smary meter was fitted however was told this could be collected as debt on the meter which is why I assume the top ups never lasted.
                When you say "I had to pay the bill", what bill is this? If you were prepay there would be no bill to pay? Who fit the credit meter? If it was your new provider then Utilita have no reason to charge you? What debt are you referring to?

I am thinking I spent a lot of time on the phone to them prior to setting this all up and my phone calls are itemised. Is it possible that if I manage to get hold of bills for around 2 years ago could they trace the phone call? My thought is why would they wait almost 2 years to bil this to me?
                Honestly, they won't have records for the actual call, they will have notes but not the tapes. These are destroyed 6-9 months after recording. I am confused as to the whole "debt" on the account with the PAYG meter.
                Hey hun,
                My responses are as always in green.

Firstly, don't panic.

If you had a prepay meter then there is no way you can owe the money, contact Utilita and ask them for the address to send a SAR. It will cost £10 but you will have every note on your account, and every bill.

IF you have any contact from a DCA, ask for an address you can send proof you were in credit with Utilita to. No debt means no marker on your credit report. Advise them that you didn't have a credit meter at the property, you may be surprised by their response, I have heard of DCAs investigating themselves!!

Insist that Utilita place the account in query until you find out exactly what the hell is going on, and where this money has come from. Ask your current supplier for help too, make sure that there were no delays in supply.

If you never received any bill and most importantly you requested one (although why you would with a PAYG meter is beyond me), backbilling will apply.
                PLEASE NOTE: I work irregular hours including nights and sleep in shifts. If I have not responded in 48 hours, please ask an admin to Messenger me!

"If you ever feel alone, remember, I am just the other side of the rainbow, or just south of the North Star. Whichever is closer." - A.J Murphy. 17/3/1974 - 16/03/1997 (RIP babe <3)

Comment

Quote "SAR. It will cost £10 "

not now a days.. it's free

Comment

Is it?

Thanks des8, sorry I have just finished 4 ten hour night shifts and don't even know what day it is today

When I was in the Call Centres it was a tenner, I will add this to my "DO NOT FORGET" file, when I am actually awake lmao

Comment

So to confirm, you have a meter which gave you a monthly bill removed for a PAYG meter, there was a month's invoicing added to your PAYG meter, but you were informed that the invoice would be added to the meter and you would pay it through a higher tariff and unit cost?

I'm sorry but this is VITAL that I understand this clearly, so if I seem to be doing a parrot impression, forgive me,

If you were told this, we can begin to rock and roll!

Get a SAR sent in, and concentrate on that request for the meter.

What I believe has happened: The agent on the phone has screwed up and missold you a PAYG meter!!
                      He/she has given completely wrong information, meaning you were on a higher tariff than needed and NO debt collection was put on the account.

What should have happened: You were offered a unit rate and tariff applicable to your needs, a collection rate was added to your meter (i.e £10 top up - £1 taken for arrears) the top ups paid the bill and you left with a zero balance. You should have had an annual statement showing this, did you get this?

What all this means:
                      You have been paying far too much for your energy, and still owe the amount because Utilita screwed up!

To put this in to perspective:
                      You book a holiday, you pay £70 a month towards it and at the end of the term, off you go and enjoy without owing a penny.
                      VS
                      You book the identical holiday and pay £100 per month thinking £30 per month will be put to one side for spending money, the holiday company put the £30 extra in their pocket and blame you for not having any spends at the end of it!

What you can do about it:
                      If the DCA contact you, tell them the balance is in dispute due to a potential missale case, that there is a complaint with the company and that you will keep them updated (only courteous - you probs won't have to because the company will do it for you).
                      Contact Utilita via letter/email (I'll help if you want) and dispute the balance. Use words like missale, unfair, overcharging and breach of operator's licence. Keep up the pressure, be that much of a thorn in their side that they shudder when they get your emails. Insist all contact is in writing (they will tell you that you have to accept calls, tell them you have a choice of contact and you choose written!)

Post up what they tell you here and tag me (type in @ and my name and it will link me!)

Then sit back and watch the fireworks

Callie <3

Comment

F.A.O slainte caraghSo to confirm, you have a meter which gave you a monthly bill removed for a PAYG meter, there was a month's invoicing added to your PAYG meter, but you were informed that the invoice would be added to the meter and you would pay it through a higher tariff and unit cost?

Yes Your spot on just for a month the bill would have been for which would have been collected back through our PAYG meter

Im just about to write to them yet again enclosing SAR

Comment

For OP Joshuasdaddy to tag someone use @thenname as slainte caragh

Comment

Originally posted by Joshuasdaddy View Post
                            F.A.O slainte caraghSo to confirm, you have a meter which gave you a monthly bill removed for a PAYG meter, there was a month's invoicing added to your PAYG meter, but you were informed that the invoice would be added to the meter and you would pay it through a higher tariff and unit cost?

Yes Your spot on just for a month the bill would have been for which would have been collected back through our PAYG meter

Im just about to write to them yet again enclosing SAR
                            got 'em!

Ok so add to your letter, "Please confirm the rate you withheld to pay off the debt on the account, as per my telephone conversation with your representative."

Use words like missold, breach of Operator's Licence and mis information.

I am working nights for the next 4 days so will look in as soon as I can.

Callie

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                            Working...
                            X