• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

UK Services & Support Ltd BRITISHPassportServices Copycat Website issues DISCUSSION

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: UK Services & Support Ltd Passport Scam

Trigs, that is exactly the same as has been sent to my wife, albeit with a different PO. It does seem complete BS to me, too. But how can we prove it is fabricated - and if they went to court, how could they prove it was sent / available to view from the time the confirmation email was sent?

I'm wondering whether anyone actually has been sued by them, as no-one on any of the forums discussing this seems to have sent the particulars of claim to be looked at.

Methinks those who have posted saying they just 'paid up' may well be cronies of UK S&S 'them-self' (whoever did their Ts&Cs and wrote all the other tosh - C/D borderline GCSE English. Without a doubt.) ;-)

Comment

I emailed yesterday offering payment if they are willing to deduct some items and asking them to reply as individual response rather than the blanket email we are all getting before the deadline they have given me 2nd Feb which is when they will issue court proceedings. I have had no response which is suprising since they state they are eager to bring a settlement to my invoice and always use court as the last resort. I made my foolish mistake by also thinking I was on the real Passport site, the colours and photo of passport induced me in to use it and I was on a mini iPad which I wasn't familiar with (daughters Xmas present) the terms and conditions were in the box which I know realise you needed to scroll real far down to see the harsh terms and hefty charges. I made my misguided application on Jan 5th it is now Jan 27th so in 22 days I have had more than twelve text messages, two invoices (second one threatening court action) a meeting held just about me with the 4 - 1 vote and pre court action letter. All that in 22 days! i am surprised they have time inbetween all that to actually carry out the work that is soooo time consuming and costly that they claim to do on your behalf. Another thing in one of the emails there is a link about the charges they can apply at their will and you have to click on the link to view them THEY ARE NOT on their website as far as I can see? One is £50 to pay you a visit personally and £1 for every time you use foul language, the others were £10 for late payments and so much each time they have to read your correspondence or write to you ect...

My point is a company such as this is so well prepared with blanket emails and prematurely ready to take court action at 22 days surely this speaks volumes to Trading Standards and ASA that their practice is bad and valueless. I cannot imagine them having one single client who clicks off that website happy and consciously knowing what they have just done and either paid for or are willing to pay within the 72hrs who thinks great that was well worth my £117. Why can't they see through them and take the site down. My problem was awareness, I must have been in a bubble for the last few years because I had no awareness these sites existed, had I previously had seen/heard of them on TV and the news then I would have had the awareness. There needs to be more awareness in the media as well as action from the powers that can stamp them out. I will let you know when I hear back from them or get my court letters.

Comment

Very valid point Didactosaurus you could well be right that those people who say they just paid could be them in disguise. Also most of those court cases are when people haven't paid within the 72hrs just like me.

One of the emails to me said they had contacted my local Citizens Advice on my behalf and asked them to get in touch with me. How very considerate but bizarre of them.

Comment

didactosaurus - sorry, I have no idea about the legalities but the admin in the thread certainly do, imo follow what they suggest.

I'm in a lucky situation. I'm sorry you're not.

If you read back through the thread you'll see I tried to complain to trading standards but was unable; you will be able to.

I'm quite keen to see how the court claims are being sent out and awaiting those guy's reports eagerly. As stated earlier we have no reason to believe this is untrue and so should keep an open mind, although it is possible that others have acted as shills and the information is misleading. Alternatively they could be real but haven't understood what has arrived, it doesn't cost much to lodge a claim and can be done online, even automated. I'd like to see how a claim lines up to the email threats and this possibly bogus contract.

IME, keeping each other updated is likely wise, safety in numbers. However this all operates I'm certain it's not 100% legitimate, if everyone discusses (and is able to prove) what they receive with each other and the legal expertise of the guys on this forum I think you'll all be in a much stronger position.

On the topic of shills, I'd like to hear from any of the guys who said they'll take it to court as not scared in the slightest but advise against putting any details up - did they win or lose? Was it simply not pursued? That's quite a strong statement to not have any update or further information while suggesting that you shouldn't discuss details. Also the claims lodged will be interesting, exactly what was chased by them and was it contested.

Good luck, IMHO try not to get stressed by it, I think he's far more bark than bite, it's all very amateur. You can automatically block numbers from your phone and e-mails from your account, you can send the text numbers to SPAM typed out on your phone to report them. Then contest any unfair claims (i.e. all of them) if actually served.

Comment

Oh, also, perhaps some mileage in complaining to the merchant terminal service they're using, generally those guys don't like to be used for scams. A few legitimate complaints should set off a red flag and disrupt service.

Comment

Also it looks like the numbers used to text might be coming from company txtlocal, if so complaints to them for misuse of service might get some traction.

Comment

Originally posted by Mandid View Post

One of the emails to me said they had contacted my local Citizens Advice on my behalf and asked them to get in touch with me. How very considerate but bizarre of them.
                Would you have a copy of that email ? Quite a Data Protection issue there.
                #staysafestayhome

Any support I provide is offered without liability, if you are unsure please seek professional legal guidance.

Received a Court Claim? Read >>>>> First Steps

Comment

Thanks for uploading the 'agreement'. Is that what pops up in the box when going through the website the first time ? and do you really actually sign with your computer mouse ?

I think this is the only tricky bit - but it depends how visible it actually is and in what context you tick a box to agree it. Considering you think you are using the official passport office website I think everything thereafter comes under the misleading so any contract signed is void...but not a straightforward ''it's a scam'' argument.

Hopefully we'll be able to speak with TS again today.
                  Attached Files
                  #staysafestayhome

Any support I provide is offered without liability, if you are unsure please seek professional legal guidance.

Comment

Originally posted by Amethyst View Post
                    Would you have a copy of that email ? Quite a Data Protection issue there.
                    Yes I am sure I do I have kept all their emails I am also happy to scan on the sample of the court claim form they have sent as an example of what the real one will look like and try to upload if you like although I am not computer savy hence how I got myself into this mess. My husband should be able to help me with that. They still haven't replied to my email of two days ago offering them a part payment, it has all gone suddenly quiet from them harassing me daily. Going to ring CAB consumer line today and report my experience so far. The other thing is they ask for your date of travel on the application which I now realise is totally irrelevant to them, I gave my date of travel as 2nd February which coincidently is their deadline for me to settle before they take court action. Pile on the pressure to pay before you have your holiday because you don't need the stress and cloud hanging over you springs to mind don't you think?
                    Last edited by Mandid; 28th January 2015, 10:21:AM. Reason: Adding email

Comment

Yes I am sure I do I have kept all their emails I am also happy to scan on the sample of the court claim form they have sent as an example of what the real one will look like and try to upload if you like although I am not computer savy hence how I got myself into this mess. My husband should be able to help me with that. They still haven't replied to my email of two days ago offering them a part payment, it has all gone suddenly quiet from them harassing me daily. Going to ring CAB consumer line today and report my experience so far. The other thing is they ask for your date of travel on the application which I now realise is totally irrelevant to them, I gave my date of travel as 2nd February which coincidently is their deadline for me to settle before they take court action. Pile on the pressure to pay before you have your holiday because you don't need the stress and cloud hanging over you springs to mind don't you think?
                      Here is the email, I have taken out my name ect..

The system advises me that the £100.50 has not been received. I have no choice now but to pass your details onto the Overdue Invoices Team who will begin the collections process.

At this point I would highly recommend that you visit your local Citizens Advice Bureau (address: http://citizensadvice.org.uk/index/getadvice.htm?txt_search=SK8 3TT&local-bureau-sbmt=Search) or speak with a solicitor regarding this matter so that you can gain clarity on your consumer rights and responsibilities. Please provide them with a copy of your signed contract and receipt both of which can be found below.
                      Your Unpaid Invoice & Signed Contact can be found at:
                      As I have some time tomorrow morning what I'll do for you is contact the Stockport Citizens Advice Bureau on your behalf explaining the situation and request that they review this matter and then provide you with practical consumer advice on how best to resolve this matter as well as advising you what your consumer rights and responsibilities are.
                      This advice will come from an impartial, government backed consumer body not from an agent or our or an affiliated company. If you would not like me to request this free consumer advice for you just let me know. I would however suggest that if you are not looking to take advice from the CAB then you take advice from somewhere i.e. a solicitor as you do have responsibilities as a consumer when entering a contract.
                      You can rest assured that should the agent from the Citizens Advice Bureau reply showing evidence that we are in violation of any UK or EU consumer law or that we have breached the contract which means we are lawfully not permitted to enforce the contract we shall immediately investigate their accusation which if proven to be correct will result in the payment request being dropped against you and lead to you receiving a formal apology from the chairman of our company.
                      You can pay at any time by visiting:
                      Kind Regards

British Passport Services
                      Support Department
                      Tel: 0203 701 2916
                      Fax: 0203 0120 254
                      E-mail: complaints@britishpassportservices.org.uk
                      Web: http://www.BritishPassportServices.co.uk

Comment

Thanks for uploading the 'agreement'. Is that what pops up in the box when going through the website the first time ? and do you really actually sign with your computer mouse ?

I think this is the only tricky bit - but it depends how visible it actually is and in what context you tick a box to agree it. Considering you think you are using the official passport office website I think everything thereafter comes under the misleading so any contract signed is void...but not a straightforward ''it's a scam'' argument.

From memory you don't tick individual boxes for each term and condition you tick one box. Those are all hidden in the bulk of the lengthy T&C's which I didn't give my full attention as I seriously thought I was dealing with the passport office. Why would I not trust their terms & conditions I thought they were the real deal so when you tick yes it then applies a yes to each listed T&C on their system layout but this is not how it appears to the user when you go through the application there is only one box and if you don't scroll down in the box you will miss all those terms & conditions which scream "this is a scam at you" which is what happened to me, I was on a new mini iPad and didn't realise there is not a visible scroll bar like on a laptop so I wasn't aware the need to scroll right down which would then have alerted me this is not the passport office. Also their disclaimer and high fees are below a line at the very bottom which I again didn't see unless I would have scrolled below the line that gives the illusion you have reached the bottom of the page. When you need a passport urgently and it's probable for most of us like me it's the first time you have tried to do it online they are relying on making money out of a minority of people that are vulnerably trying to renew urgently and we fall into their trap.

Comment

Hi all. I booked an appointment through this website thinking it was the actual passport office - soon as I discovered it wasn't I cancelled the appointment within a few hours. Received an invoice of £100 or so. I have refused to pay. Received a call from debt collectors on Monday called back and said I was looking into the company. I have emailed them this morning trying to call there bluff saying I have taken legal advise, reported them to both the ASA and TSA. Also stating I will not pay any 'charges' post this email. I have received the following:

Please confirm who advised you “this company is fraudulent”. Please confirm the
                          government agency and name of the staff member who told you this.

Kind
                          Regards

Amanda Kirkman
                          Support
                          Department
                          Tel: 0161 663 0072
                          E-mail: mailto:enquiries@britishpassportservices.org.uk?su bject=Passport%20Question
                          Web:
                          http://www.BritishPassportServices.co.uk

Any help would be much appreciated! Any advise on how to respond?

- Background my nan is terminal over in the states and needed to book tickets ASAP but had an expired passport. So you can imagine the panic whilst trying to get an emergency appointment.

Comment

yes you actually sign your signature with a mouse! I feel so stupid now how did I not realise, I was on auto pilot that day as I have health issues so my concentration was below normal. My signature looks like Mickey Mouse has drawn it looks nothing like mine.

Comment

Originally posted by HMZ View Post
                              Hi all. I booked an appointment through this website thinking it was the actual passport office - soon as I discovered it wasn't I cancelled the appointment within a few hours. Received an invoice of £100 or so. I have refused to pay. Received a call from debt collectors on Monday called back and said I was looking into the company. I have emailed them this morning trying to call there bluff saying I have taken legal advise, reported them to both the ASA and TSA. Also stating I will not pay any 'charges' post this email. I have received the following:

Please confirm who advised you “this company is fraudulent”. Please confirm the
                              government agency and name of the staff member who told you this.

Kind
                              Regards

Amanda Kirkman
                              Support
                              Department
                              Tel: 0161 663 0072
                              E-mail: mailto:enquiries@britishpassportservices.org.uk?su bject=Passport%20Question
                              Web:
                              http://www.BritishPassportServices.co.uk

Any help would be much appreciated! Any advise on how to respond?

- Background my nan is terminal over in the states and needed to book tickets ASAP but had an expired passport. So you can imagine the panic whilst trying to get an emergency appointment.
                              Blimey, have you got your passport sorted now?
                              I would not reply to the email from 'Amanda Kirkman'.
                              #staysafestayhome

Comment

From memory you don't tick individual boxes for each term and condition you tick one box. Those are all hidden in the bulk of the lengthy T&C's which I didn't give my full attention as I seriously thought I was dealing with the passport office. Why would I not trust their terms & conditions I thought they were the real deal so when you tick yes it then applies a yes to each listed T&C on their system layout but this is not how it appears to the user when you go through the application there is only one box and if you don't scroll down in the box you will miss all those terms & conditions which scream "this is a scam at you" which is what happened to me, I was on a new mini iPad and didn't realise there is not a visible scroll bar like on a laptop so I wasn't aware the need to scroll right down which would then have alerted me this is not the passport office. Also their disclaimer and high fees are below a line at the very bottom which I again didn't see unless I would have scrolled below the line that gives the illusion you have reached the bottom of the page. When you need a passport urgently and it's probable for most of us like me it's the first time you have tried to do it online they are relying on making money out of a minority of people that are vulnerably trying to renew urgently and we fall into their trap.
                                Thank you that could be important, don't suppose anyone has a screenshot of what the actual live page looked like ?
                                #staysafestayhome

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                                Working...
                                X