• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Voluntary Termination of a Hire purchase or conditional loan under the CCA 1974

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Voluntary Termination of a Hire purchase or conditional loan under the CCA 1974

Who is the lender? Here's a breakdown below and have highlighted the key words.

section 173
    (1)A term contained in a regulated agreement or linked transaction, or in any other agreement relating to an actual or prospective regulated agreement or linked transaction, is void if, and to the extent that, it is inconsistent with a provision for the protection of the debtor or hirer or his relative or any surety contained in this Act or in any regulation made under this Act.

(2)
    Where a provision specifies the duty or liability of the debtor or hirer or his relative or any surety in certain circumstances, a term is inconsistent with that provision if it purports to impose, directly or indirectly, an additional duty or liability on him in those circumstances.

section 100 limits liability to 50% of the total amount payable. The definition of total amount payable means the following:

total sum payable by the debtor under a hire-purchase agreement or a conditional sale agreement, including any sum payable on the exercise of an option to purchase, but excluding any sum payable as a penalty or as compensation or damages for a breach of the agreement

In plain English, what this means is that your liability is restricted to 50% of the total price payable. The contractual term for paying the collection fee under the agreement is inconsistent with s100 and by way of s173, it is void and unenforceable against you.

Does that make any more sense?
    If you have a question about the voluntary termination process, please read this guide first, as it should have all the answers you need. Please do not hijack another person's thread as I will not respond to you
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    LEGAL DISCLAIMER
    Please be aware that this is a public forum and is therefore accessible to anyone. The content I post on this forum is not intended to be legal advice nor does it establish any client-lawyer type relationship between you and me. Therefore any use of my content is at your own risk and I cannot be held responsible in any way. It is always recommended that you seek independent legal advice.

Comment

• Re: Voluntary Termination of a Hire purchase or conditional loan under the CCA 1974

Yes thanks

Comment

Hi,

Thanks for all the Info, really useful, I do however have a question.

I VT'd my car roughly 3 months ago, having paid well over the the 50% required, and today received stating I owe a months payment.

Apparently, they received and logged my VT paperwork 3 days after my March payment date, having already cancelled my Direct Debit at the time of signing the paperwork, they didn't receive the March payment, which they are chasing for. I posted the paperwork well in advance of the date, however it appears the paperwork was sat on for 3days at their end.

Personally, I don't believe I am Liable for the March payment, but I wanted a second opinion?

Thanks

Comment

If you have given them plenty of notice in advance to terminate and they decided not to process your termination until after the next due payment that is entirely their choice but that doesn't mean you have to pay them for that month.

I would tell them where to go, just make sure you hold onto that receipt which proves the time of delivery, even make a couple of copies or take a photograph of it in case you lose it.

I would suggest a letter to hat effect telling them you owe nothing.
          If you have a question about the voluntary termination process, please read this guide first, as it should have all the answers you need. Please do not hijack another person's thread as I will not respond to you
          - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
          LEGAL DISCLAIMER
          Please be aware that this is a public forum and is therefore accessible to anyone. The content I post on this forum is not intended to be legal advice nor does it establish any client-lawyer type relationship between you and me. Therefore any use of my content is at your own risk and I cannot be held responsible in any way. It is always recommended that you seek independent legal advice.

Comment

Hi Rob

Just reading your sticky, hope you dont mind me pointing something out but point one is wrong mate.

It says taht a debtor has the right to terminate after they have paid 50% of the total price. It should read, can terminate without any further sums being due etc.

A debtor can terminate an agreement at any time.

99Right to terminate hire-purchase etc. agreements.

(1)
            At any time before the final payment by the debtor under a regulated hire-purchase or regulated conditional sale agreement falls due, the debtor shall be entitled to terminate the agreement by giving notice to any person entitled or authorised to receive the sums payable under the agreement

Hope you dnt mind me mentioning it.

Comment

Hi Henti,

You are right and this was raised in another post and thought I'd corrected it, i'll amend it now thank you
              LEGAL DISCLAIMER

Comment

In regards to the amount due if you're terminating early, say half the agreement amount, does this need to be paid in one lump or can it be done in instalments? I can afford to fork out £8.5k in one go otherwise I would be paying my finance off!!

Help appreciated

Thanks,

Boo

Comment

Can anybody advise me regarding the servicing responsibilities?

If I'm right in thinking as long as I've paid 50% of my credit and the car is returned in a looked after state there is nothing more to pay even if I've exceeded the mileage? But what if I haven't had the car serviced as agreed?

Thanks in advance

Comment

It depends, you could argue that the car is in a reasonable condition given its age and I guess there is no requirement other than perhaps in your agreement to service the car but you would need proof yourself that it is in a reasonable condition in case it is raised by the other side. For example, if you don't service your car for 3 years and you are running extremely low on oil and this causes problems with the engine that is likely to cause further damage then that is a result of you and the potential argument that the car is not in a reasonable condition as the likelihood is that the car will need repairing earlier than expected.

Of course they would need an expert to prove that but can still pose a problem.

decent arguments that prove servicing has been carried out in or around expected timescales will help to disprove that the car is not in an unreasonable state and could be difficult for them to argue otherwise.
                    LEGAL DISCLAIMER

Comment

Hi

I have recently VT'd my 6 year old Audi A6. The finance company was Northridge and the vehicle was returned to Manheim.

2 week after returning the vehicle, I have had a letter requesting £290 due to rippled finishes on the bumpers. The letter enclosed photographs, which actually do not show a lot. I took plenty of photographs when I returned the vehicle. The letter also confirmed that the vehicle had been sold.

I'd had the front and rear bumpers repaired prior to the vehicle being returned by a mobile bumper repair company.

The vehicle was in very good condition for a 6 year old car.

My intention is to write back refusing to pay the amount, as I'd kept the vehicle in good repair and condition as required, and to point out that BVLRA guidelines are not applicable to consumer credit agreements.

Would this be the most appropriate course of action for me to take?

Thanks

Comment

Hi Billy,

I don't believe they are a member of BVRLA but yes you can dispute that the BVRLA guidelines are not applicable and apply a higher standard than reasonable as set out in the CCA.

If you have had the bumper done and receipts of this and the bumper doesn't look like a botched job then I think you can probably argue that also.

Have you asked them to provide evidence that the car was actually repaired prior to it being sold?
                        LEGAL DISCLAIMER

Comment

Thanks Rob

I haven't asked yet for evidence the car was repaired prior to being sold, but will do so. All they have sent me is a condition report from Manheim with photos and costs against the photos. The condition report was dated 10th June, 2 days after the car was returned, and they wrote to me on 28th June. I would be surprised if the car was repaired, it actually didn't need to be anyway.

Comment

If you have taken plenty of photos that shows a reasonable condition then that should be enough. You can put all of this in a letter and state that it is a formal complaint and you expect them to give their full reasons.

They will likely not uphold your complaint and then you have the option of going to the Ombudsman.
                            LEGAL DISCLAIMER

Comment

Rob quick question finally had some breakthrough with finance company they allowed me to vt eventually however quick question there sending a 3rd party to collect the vehicle at 1pm this afternoon I have took photos do I need to sign anything when they pick up the car?

Comment

Hi Paul,

You are not legally obliged to sign anything, whether you choose to or not is entirely your choice. Usually the wording of the paperwork states that you agree to pay for damages when the final report has been concluded or another inspection has taken place which essentially means you agree to pay whatever damages and potentially waive your rights.

Personally, I would suggest not to sign anything, but that is up to you.
                                LEGAL DISCLAIMER

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                                Working...
                                X