• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Voluntary Termination of a Hire purchase or conditional loan under the CCA 1974

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Voluntary Termination of a Hire purchase or conditional loan under the CCA 1974

Originally posted by Chris_P View Post
    Hi All,

Hopefully an easy one here.

I purchased a Polo last year from a franchise dealer. All the finance was done through VWFS. It's a 3 year deal and I've not paid anywhere near 50% and want to voluntarily cancel as I don't need the car anymore.

What are my options here?

Appreciate all advice.

C
    bump

Comment

• Re: Voluntary Termination of a Hire purchase or conditional loan under the CCA 1974

Originally posted by Chris_P View Post
      bump
      Pay the difference or wait until you hit the 50% mark. You can only VT if you have paid at least 50% or are able to make up the difference at the time you wish to VT.
      If you have a question about the voluntary termination process, please read this guide first, as it should have all the answers you need. Please do not hijack another person's thread as I will not respond to you
      - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
      LEGAL DISCLAIMER
      Please be aware that this is a public forum and is therefore accessible to anyone. The content I post on this forum is not intended to be legal advice nor does it establish any client-lawyer type relationship between you and me. Therefore any use of my content is at your own risk and I cannot be held responsible in any way. It is always recommended that you seek independent legal advice.

Comment

Originally posted by R0b View Post
        Pay the difference or wait until you hit the 50% mark. You can only VT if you have paid at least 50% or are able to make up the difference at the time you wish to VT.
        Thanks R0b

Comment

Hello after seeing all the messages... saw it after the car went away and was a bit too late...

I got to the point that the car was VT inspected and taken away.

I got a letter saying I am lability for £827.50 for repairs, I signed the inspection report. I was not sure at that time, was trying to avoid signing until the man said sign that to confirm that i got the report. i am deaf myself, i rely on sign lanugage. he wrote on the back of the report sheet "sign this to confirm that you recieved the report NOT the costs of the repairs"... am i being fleeced here or the man inspecting the car wrote the quote i have given above just gave me an upper hand?

they tried to charge me for
          3 chips - would that be "wear and tear"?
          secuirty loading sheet for the back of the car - I never got it when i bought the car
          not full service history - the last stamped was in 2008 and I bought the car 18 months ago. i am being charged 300 for this.

there's a few other things i felt is fair and willing to pay for it. which is almost £200.

they also said i will be lability to the balance after the auction? i thought that if i VT, thats it?

"we would point out that your lability is limited to the amount required to settle the agreement. this may be further reduced after the proceeds of sale have been credited to your agreement,following sale of the vehicle. you will receive confirmation of the final amount due shortly"

also... on the letter they said i could pay the costs and have 20% taken off at the time of the car being taken away. this didn't actually happen and the person inspected the car never mentioned it, I sort of missed the chance of 20% taken off the costs?

they also mentioned this

"will result in your agreement being noted as terminated with default liability, and could affect your ability to obtain finance in the future"

but how can they actually default something when the agreement is not in force anymore?

a bit of help would be greatly appreciated

Comment

Who is the lender?
            If you have a question about the voluntary termination process, please read this guide first, as it should have all the answers you need. Please do not hijack another person's thread as I will not respond to you
            - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
            LEGAL DISCLAIMER
            Please be aware that this is a public forum and is therefore accessible to anyone. The content I post on this forum is not intended to be legal advice nor does it establish any client-lawyer type relationship between you and me. Therefore any use of my content is at your own risk and I cannot be held responsible in any way. It is always recommended that you seek independent legal advice.

Comment

Motonovo

Comment

Originally posted by martyrobster View Post
                Motonovo
                Hi Marty, I'll respond in full later but do you still have a copy of the report which the agent wrote on to say you received the report but don't agree with the charges?

In short they can't charge you for any that you have stipulated with exception to the £200 you say is reasonable, what costs are these for ?
                LEGAL DISCLAIMER

Comment

Hi Marty, I'll respond in full later but do you still have a copy of the report which the agent wrote on to say you received the report but don't agree with the charges?

In short they can't charge you for any that you have stipulated with exception to the £200 you say is reasonable, what costs are these for ?

Hello Rob.

the report - Damage Assessment

Document - Service history - incomplete - recharge £300 (last stamped in October 2008)
                  Right Rear Door - dent - PDR up to 75mm £48 (chip) wear and tear?
                  Rear Seat - soiled - valet £50 (it is just a very little bit of paint on it, it was there before I bought it - however don't have proof for that - will pay for it)
                  Load Compartment - missing - £50 (I never got this when I bought the car)
                  Left Rear Door - dent - PDR up to 75mm £48 (chip) wear and tear?
                  Left front Door - dent - Repair and refinish 1 - £213.50 (very small dent) - maybe liability for that despite it was there before when I bought the car
                  Left front wing- dent - PDR up to 75mm £48 (chip) wear and tear?
                  Front bumper scratched - through paint - £70 (it was an accident which I am happy to pay)

the total for above are £827.50

I didn't sign on the device until the person wrote on the back of the report sheet "ONLY SIGN TO SAY WE HAVE GAVE YOU REPORT NOT (not got two underlines) AGREE TO COSTS ON REPORT"... When the man wrote, I had a witness, a friend who was with me saw him writing on it and I felt this part may be in my favour?

The only thing I felt I agree with is Valet, Repair and Refinish1 and Front bumper which would cost in the region of £330?

Comment

thanks for that and what age is the vehicle? new or old?
                    LEGAL DISCLAIMER

Comment

thanks for that and what age is the vehicle? new or old?

its a 2003 Land Rover Discovery

Comment

Originally posted by martyrobster View Post
                        Hello Rob.

the report - Damage Assessment

Document - Service history - incomplete - recharge £300 (last stamped in October 2008)
                        Right Rear Door - dent - PDR up to 75mm £48 (chip) wear and tear?
                        Rear Seat - soiled - valet £50 (it is just a very little bit of paint on it, it was there before I bought it - however don't have proof for that - will pay for it)
                        Load Compartment - missing - £50 (I never got this when I bought the car)
                        Left Rear Door - dent - PDR up to 75mm £48 (chip) wear and tear?
                        Left front Door - dent - Repair and refinish 1 - £213.50 (very small dent) - maybe liability for that despite it was there before when I bought the car
                        Left front wing- dent - PDR up to 75mm £48 (chip) wear and tear?
                        Front bumper scratched - through paint - £70 (it was an accident which I am happy to pay)

the total for above are £827.50

I didn't sign on the device until the person wrote on the back of the report sheet "ONLY SIGN TO SAY WE HAVE GAVE YOU REPORT NOT (not got two underlines) AGREE TO COSTS ON REPORT"... When the man wrote, I had a witness, a friend who was with me saw him writing on it and I felt this part may be in my favour?

The only thing I felt I agree with is Valet, Repair and Refinish1 and Front bumper which would cost in the region of £330?
                        Hi Marty,

I would say everything on there could be disputed and the ball would be in the court of the lender to argue this. Even if you want to pay £70 for the front bumper everything else would amount to fair wear and tear. The vehicle is 12 years old and would be completely unreasonable not to expect a car of that age to have had some bumps and scratches along the way. You do not need to pay for valet and certainly not the load compartment they will need to prove it was not there in the first place when the vehicle was first taken out.

Bear in mind, if the lender wants to recover any of these charges, they would need to go to court and get a court order - something they are unlikely to do as it would end up in small claims court and more than likely not commercially viable to recover. Plus they will sell the vehicle at auction and not even repair it so there is no loss to them.

Personally dispute it or at least everything but the bumper. Did you take any photos of the vehicle before it was handed over?

A VT does not affect your credit rating and their threat of a default is all puff. In fact if they attempted to default your credit report then you would arguably have a case of incorrect information, defamation and/or malicious falsehood enabling you to claim compensation through the court if you chose to do so.

I'm hoping to put some information up on VT tomorrow so may be worth a read if you get the chance.
                        LEGAL DISCLAIMER

Comment

hello,

looking to Vt my car this week, have contacted finance company through email for the address to send vt letter to and ask for a balance to get to 50%, have received the balance and they have said i can Vt through email stating why i want to VT, has anyone heard of doing it this way or would it be better sending letter special delivery and i take it i also do not need to give them a reason, any help appreciated

Comment

Originally posted by svkl View Post
                            hello,

looking to Vt my car this week, have contacted finance company through email for the address to send vt letter to and ask for a balance to get to 50%, have received the balance and they have said i can Vt through email stating why i want to VT, has anyone heard of doing it this way or would it be better sending letter special delivery and i take it i also do not need to give them a reason, any help appreciated
                            If they have accepted that you can VT by email that should be fine, I would double check your agreement as well just in case there is a formal way to do it such as in writing by post.

There is no obligation to give a reason why you want to VT and they cannot prevent a VT from happening if you choose not to give any reasons.
                            LEGAL DISCLAIMER

Comment

Thanks R0b, i'm sure all the agreement states is to contact them but will check when i get home.
                              Their reply to my email asking for the address to sent Vt letter so looks as if email will be fine and also means i have a copy aswell

Yes you can send the letter in to the address below or we can accept this through email.

Comment

That should be fine then
                                LEGAL DISCLAIMER

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                                Working...
                                X