• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Used van, consumer rights?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Used van, consumer rights?

I purchase a used van on 2nd January for business use, in the name of my business. 76 000 miles, ex-northgate hire, so full service history.

Van broke down 11th May, 82 000 miles, sudden loss of engine power. would not restart.
    Dealer notified on 14th May
    Garage it was recovered to have informed me a chain inside the engine has snapped, new engine required.
    Warranty company took 11 days to send an engineer out before denying the claim, stating wear and tear because error codes were logged on ECU. Also insisting I had warning lights which I know I did not.
    Called around various garages, no one will repair it. Cheapest quote for a new engine was £6000.
    Contacted dealer on 12th June via text. Told me I had the van more than six months (not true) and a repair is possible for £2000. Dealer refused to accept vehicle back for his inspection and said 'I'm not a charity'.

As far as I'm aware, I still have consumer rights as normal that within six months the dealer needs to prove the fault was not there. Is this correct? I have a letter ready to go off to him if so.
    Tags: None

Hi
    Welcome to LB
    I am sorry I have not got good news
    As you bought the van for business purpose the Consumer Rights Act (final right to reject after dealer given one chance to repair or replace) does not apply
    The Sale of Goods Act applies to business to business contracts but this act does not have the benefits the consumer has under CRA
    It sounds as if the cambelt or chain broke causing the van's engine significant damage. At 82k miles the cambelt is probably due for replacement so the warranty company is probably correct about the engine damage being caused by a maintenance issue.
    Have you checked the warranty terms and conditions? There is likely to be a limit to the maximum pay out

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
    Working...
    X