• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Santander Consumer Finance

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1. The VT Guide already addresses reasonable care. Brakes are reasonable wear and tear and onus is on Santander to prove otherwise. If the brakes are faulty, don't work or otherwise make the car in an unroadworthy condition, the obligation is on you to repair. I think you are panicking, it's just a statement from them so wait and see what they come back with. Never have I seen condition reports do a full mechanical check and they would only charge if they weren't working.

2. Yes they can do that. It is factually correct is it not?
    If you have a question about the voluntary termination process, please read this guide first, as it should have all the answers you need. Please do not hijack another person's thread as I will not respond to you
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    LEGAL DISCLAIMER
    Please be aware that this is a public forum and is therefore accessible to anyone. The content I post on this forum is not intended to be legal advice nor does it establish any client-lawyer type relationship between you and me. Therefore any use of my content is at your own risk and I cannot be held responsible in any way. It is always recommended that you seek independent legal advice.

Comment

Originally posted by R0b View Post
      1. The VT Guide already addresses reasonable care. Brakes are reasonable wear and tear and onus is on Santander to prove otherwise. If the brakes are faulty, don't work or otherwise make the car in an unroadworthy condition, the obligation is on you to repair. I think you are panicking, it's just a statement from them so wait and see what they come back with. Never have I seen condition reports do a full mechanical check and they would only charge if they weren't working.

2. Yes they can do that. It is factually correct is it not?
      Thank you R0b - yes maybe panicking a bit....i will take a breath and see what happens - car goes next Monday

Comment

I suggest you read the section in the VT Guide around vehicle damage and end of contract charges. Vehicle damage is subjective and there's no hard and fast rule about who is right and who is wrong. If Santander feel they have a strong case, then they can take you to court for the damage as is the usual case, but it almost never happens because the cost of taking you to court would normally far outweigh the cost of the damage and therefore it's not commercial viable for lenders.

To give you an example, if Santander try to claw back £200 worth of vehicle damage, instructing an external lawyer on an hourly rate would average £150-£300+ and I would expect at least 20-40 hours worth of work, for a fairly straightforward claim from start to finish.

That's not to say Santander or any lender wouldn't take you to court on principle, but you have to bear in mind that financial service companies are out to make profit, not losses.
        If you have a question about the voluntary termination process, please read this guide first, as it should have all the answers you need. Please do not hijack another person's thread as I will not respond to you
        - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
        LEGAL DISCLAIMER
        Please be aware that this is a public forum and is therefore accessible to anyone. The content I post on this forum is not intended to be legal advice nor does it establish any client-lawyer type relationship between you and me. Therefore any use of my content is at your own risk and I cannot be held responsible in any way. It is always recommended that you seek independent legal advice.

Comment

Originally posted by R0b View Post
          I suggest you read the section in the VT Guide around vehicle damage and end of contract charges. Vehicle damage is subjective and there's no hard and fast rule about who is right and who is wrong. If Santander feel they have a strong case, then they can take you to court for the damage as is the usual case, but it almost never happens because the cost of taking you to court would normally far outweigh the cost of the damage and therefore it's not commercial viable for lenders.

To give you an example, if Santander try to claw back £200 worth of vehicle damage, instructing an external lawyer on an hourly rate would average £150-£300+ and I would expect at least 20-40 hours worth of work, for a fairly straightforward claim from start to finish.

That's not to say Santander or any lender wouldn't take you to court on principle, but you have to bear in mind that financial service companies are out to make profit, not losses.
          Thank you again I have read you VT guide which does set my mind at ease and provides me with some solid material to rebuff any charges that they may look to present to me.

Comment

Vehicle has been collected by Crystal Collections
            The guy picked up a scratch on the front bumper which is approx 20mm in length - below the BVRLA limit of 25mm....
            However Crystal have emailed a report to me stating that it is a £58 !!!

I did not sign anything, so will wait for Santander to come back to me....

Comment

I hadn't heard anything from Santander since the car was collected, so was starting to wonder what was happening

Today I received the letter below

There is no mention of the collection charge for the vehicle or the costed damage that the guy who collected the car detailed

I guess i am home and dry on this, or could they still chase?

Comment

I think that would be confirmation of nothing further. Suggest you keep hold of that for the next 6 years in case they come back.
                LEGAL DISCLAIMER

Comment

Thanks Rob, et al, for your help and opinions - was a reasonably straightforward experience which was ultimately successful

Comment

Htfc1 did you email the general email address or the Voluntary Termination email address? About to send my letter in. Thanks v much

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                    Working...
                    X