• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

WON. I'd like to share how but am worried re over disclosing. Advice pls.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• WON. I'd like to share how but am worried re over disclosing. Advice pls.

Hi All

First time posting on here. Just registered so apologies if there's a correct format that I'm not following. I'm feeling pretty pleased with myself, but also very grateful.

With a lot help from this thread:

https://legalbeagles.info/forums/for...-parking-fines

I have just successfully defended a claim against me by a private parking firm. I'm posting here for 3 reasons:

1. To say thank you to all the experts on here that help and support complete strangers to achieve some justice and protect their rights. Your reach and impact is significant. Keep doing what you're doing.

2. To get advice on sharing my success so that i can give a little back and hopefully encourage others to have more confidence in standing their ground against these bullies.

3. To get advice on how i now go about making a claim against the parking company for breaching my data.

Thanks again Legal Beagles!!
    Tags: None

Unfortunately it would be difficult to claim against them for breaching your data. They held an honest belief that you were the guilty party and therefore applied to the DVLA, as they are allowed to do.

Would be nice to know what they were claiming and what your defence was. A precis of the judge's comments would be good.

Comment

Well done......& what ostell has said above!
      CAVEAT LECTOR

This is only my opinion - "Opinions are made to be changed --or how is truth to be got at?" (Byron)

You and I do not see things as they are. We see things as we are.
      Cohen, Herb

There is danger when a man throws his tongue into high gear before he
      gets his brain a-going.
      Phelps, C. C.

"They couldn't hit an elephant at this distance!"
      The last words of John Sedgwick

Comment

BW Legal were claiming breach of contract for not displaying a permit in a permit holder's only care park. I was initially expecting them not to turn up but they had about 7 case lined up so it was cost effective to send an agent. The agent was a self employed paralegal supposedly and satisfied the judge as to her rights of audience.

My arguments were

1. No authority based on the address of the site being incorrect.

2. No contract formed based on signs not being large and legible. They put in a bunch of photographs post date of PCN and Google Street View showed they werent there making them non-compliant with BPA codes of practice which they aserted in their statement they were. I subsequently accused them of purgery bringing into question the entire statement. Unfortunately Google Street View also showed a sign they hadnt included which the judge ruled as being large and prominent.

3. Forbidding sign. The only sign of the date in question was of a blured photo whereby the only readable section was of the large writing that said permit holders only. Referencing Beavis, Bull and Masterton the judge ruled that they were forbidding and that it was a case of trespass before rewarding costs for half a day of work lost and petrol.

My logic re data breach was that as the court have found there to be no legal basis against which a claim could be brought, this was the judges finding, that they had no right to request my data from the DVLA. Is that not correct?

Comment

I got the view re data protection from this:

http://parking-prankster.blogspot.co...ladstoned.html

"The driver could potentially claim not only for the parking charge paid but also £750 for a data protection breach for using personal details to pursue a charge which did not and could not have existed.

A similar situation may exists for other car parks where the signage is forbidding."

Comment

Originally posted by SWBOB View Post
            My logic re data breach was that as the court have found there to be no legal basis against which a claim could be brought, this was the judges finding, that they had no right to request my data from the DVLA. Is that not correct?
            Bit tricky.

They only have to say they had an honest belief/reasonable cauuse to access & process the data.

CAVEAT LECTOR

This is only my opinion - "Opinions are made to be changed --or how is truth to be got at?" (Byron)

Cohen, Herb

gets his brain a-going.
            Phelps, C. C.

Comment

But is the data breach not their accessing of the information, but their misuse of the information to pursue the claim they should and would have known had no prospect of success and in law did not exist. Thereby in fact using my data within a court application to intimidate me into settling a claim they had no chance of winning due to the signage being forbidding.

Thats the angle i'm looking at it from.

Comment

No, they firmly believed that they had a case and there signs were sufficient. They don't believe that the signage ws forbidding but a judge showed them that they were wrong.

Comment

Yep, imho that's what many (Small Claims) court cases are all about.

One party thinks one thing, the other party thinks another.

Judge decides
                  CAVEAT LECTOR

Cohen, Herb

gets his brain a-going.
                  Phelps, C. C.

Comment

Hi there!

So glad to hear of success!

I'm in a similar scenario with a similar sign (For several tickets issued back in 2015!!) and wondered if you could share the case number so I can use it as a case in support of mine?

With many thanks,

C

Comment

Originally posted by chazel View Post
                      Hi there!

So glad to hear of success!

I'm in a similar scenario with a similar sign (For several tickets issued back in 2015!!) and wondered if you could share the case number so I can use it as a case in support of mine?

With many thanks,

C
                      Hi
                      Unless there is a transcript of the case, the case number will be of little or no value.
                      CAVEAT LECTOR

Cohen, Herb

gets his brain a-going.
                      Phelps, C. C.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                      Working...
                      X