• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

HELP!? Historic Parking CN from Vehicle Control Service Ltd gone to County Court

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HELP!? Historic Parking CN from Vehicle Control Service Ltd gone to County Court

Good morning LegalBeagles (well it was when I started writing!)

Following reviewing information online and avoiding the poorly reviewed payable anti PCN sites I'm hoping you can help provide some guidance to me as I assist my wife in challenging a historic Parking Charge Notice from Vehicle Control Services Ltd which has now proceeded to County Court.

The charge relates back to the 04/10/2015 when my girlfriend (and now wife) parked up the road from our house very late night on a Saturday before being ticketed in the morning. Living close to a station, we had residential parking and both had payable permits from our local Brentwood council. Often spaces were at a shortage and we would have to park roads down from where we live, finding other related permit zoned roads with spaces. We both had issues parking that evening and my gf parked on the corner of a road with double yellow lines whilst I mistakenly part parked over double yellow lines of another road and received a council issued Penalty Charge Notice.

We looked to settle our tickets independently on the Monday after receiving them very early Sunday morning (we would often get up very early to try and move cars to spaces) and admitting my guilt, I paid my Penalty to the council accepting the early settlement fee of £35 to be paid within 14 days. My wife however called and spoke to VCS as she was confused as to why her early settlement fee was £60 – our first experience of the differences between a PCN and a PCN! Whilst she spoke to VCS (and we cannot recollect the call as so long ago) she must have informed that she was the registered keeper and owner and we believe told that she could not appeal over the phone.

She initially emailed VCS on the 15/10/15 admitting she had parked on the double lines (also giving her name, address and confirming the vehicle reg) but looked to appeal the early settlement amount rather than charge.
    Having started to google the differences of PCN and reading forums, having heard no response from VCS, we further emailed them on the 30/11/15 with some further observations/issues.

The ticket had been marked that “the vehicle was seen in: Rollason Way” and the contravention code marked as “81” which refers to the vehicle being “Parked in a restricted area of a car park” and the site number being left blank. The area is not a car park at and the number of warning signs had also been marked as “2” – and we believe there were no signs in the vicinity when the vehicle was parked.
    We further requested that VCS provide photographic proof that the vehicle was parked in a restricted car park and any evidence of warning signs, as well as their 10 digit verification code for use with POPLA but never received a reply.

Over the space of a year and a half we received half a dozen of threatening letters from VCS (none sent recorded proving receipt) pursuing the claim with varying amounts and threats of debt collectors and CCJs but as per other forums, did not respond to any further correspondence with VCS as they never supplied any more evidence or took threats further. I don’t believe we received any more correspondence for around a year and then in July of last year we moved property and subsequently sold the car January 2019. Thinking the matter had gone away, I believe we have shredded all VCS correspondence which I had previously kept.

Suddenly on the 24/04/19 my wife has now received a new letter titled “Letter before Claim” delivered to our new address in her maiden name for fees payable within 30 days of;
    Principle Debt £160, Estimated Interest £44.47, Estimated Court Fees £25 totalling £229.47.
    This was followed up with a Claim Form from the County Court Business Centre with the Issue Date of 26 Jun 2019 for a total of £185.
    The only correspondence we still have is the proof of the two emails to VCS, the Letter Before Claim and Claim Form (all attached). The Claim Form still mentions this idea of a “car park” and signs which we didnt believe were there at the time in 2015 (but reviewing Google Streetview can vaguely be seen now)

I’m saddened we haven’t found LegalBeagles until now but given the issue date is 26 June 2019 and we have 14 days (or 28 to challenge), can any of the circumstances mentioned be used to dispute the claim?

Thanks for any assistance/advice offered.

VCS Letter before Claim County Court Letter
    Last edited by Broadyman; 2nd July 2019, 22:21:PM.
    Tags: court, motor, parking, pcn, vcs

Hi
    Firstly & most importantly, acknowledge the court claim.
    Not to do so could expose your wife to a default judgment.....it would complicate any challenge & probably cost a fair amount to set aside.
    https://legalbeagles.info/library/gu...ledge-a-claim/

If the vehicle was parked on the road on yellow lines, it could be that the highway there is maintained at public expense.
    If so, VCS had no authority to ticket there.
    Check with your local authority/county council for the status of the road at the relevant time. (Oct 2015)

EDIT
    It would appear from
    https://www.essexhighways.org/transp.../track-it.aspx
    that it is a maintained road.
    Input Rollason Way into the search box.
    Give them (Essex council) a ring to confirm.

There are various other issues, but clearly this is probably the most important.
    Last edited by charitynjw; 3rd July 2019, 06:34:AM.
    CAVEAT LECTOR

This is only my opinion - "Opinions are made to be changed --or how is truth to be got at?" (Byron)

You and I do not see things as they are. We see things as we are.
    Cohen, Herb

There is danger when a man throws his tongue into high gear before he
    gets his brain a-going.
    Phelps, C. C.

"They couldn't hit an elephant at this distance!"
    The last words of John Sedgwick

Comment

The name of that road rings a bell, I'm sure I've seen it mentioned before, and possibly for the same reason. As charity says confirm with the council and if it is adopted then also mention to trading standards with view to possible prosecution

Comment

Thanks for coming back both - Ostell maybe it has something to do with this series of posts on a similar forum where they now deem VCS are operating illegally - http://forums.pepipoo.com/index.php?...ic=126587&st=0

I've taken the first steps as advised of acknowledging the claim using the Money Claim online portal and getting in touch with the council. They have been initially able to tell me that Rollason Way was adopted on the 19/09/2017 but unable to tell me if it was Private or Unmaintained before. I have been asked to email into the Highway Services team which I have done and pleaded an asap response.

From the posts about other issues with PCNs at this site (linked above), it does sound like this was Private before and unclear who marked the double yellow lines on the main road. As I do not have any copies of earlier paperwork and have never received photographic proof, I have had my wife submit a DSAR to VCS to request the following;

- all photos taken pertaining to me or any property of which I was the owner of on the date in question.
        - a close up of the signs on the day in question with evidence that they were taken on the date in question.
        - evidence that Vehicle Control Services LTD has paid a debt collector if relevant.
        - all letters/emails sent and received, including any appeal correspondence earlier (to assist, emails had previously been sent to VCS (cpo@vehiclecontrol.co.uk) dated 15/10/15 08:52 and 30/11/2015 22:12 with no response)
        - all data held, all evidence that VCS LTD will rely on in any future hearing and a full copy of the PCN and Notice To Keeper.

I'm acutely aware though that given the DSAR turnaround time of one month, VCS could well delay any response to hinder us due to the amount of response time we have left against the Court Claim.

As I wait for Essex Council and VCS to respond, is there any other information that you believe I should be collecting at this time?

Thanks again for the continued support
        Last edited by Broadyman; 3rd July 2019, 15:46:PM.

Comment

I've had a very speedy response from the Essex highways team who have confirmed the following;

"I can confirm Rollason Way Brentwood was adopted as publicly maintainable highway on 19/09/2017. From a Highway Records perspective, prior to the adoption agreement the land would have been considered private and the responsibility of the developer.

Regards"

XXXX XXXX | Technical Assistant | Public Rights of Way and Records
          www.essex.gov.uk/highways [essex.gov.uk]

Comment

Originally posted by Broadyman View Post
            Thanks for coming back both - Ostell maybe it has something to do with this series of posts on a similar forum where they now deem VCS are operating illegally - http://forums.pepipoo.com/index.php?...ic=126587&st=0

I've taken the first steps as advised of acknowledging the claim using the Money Claim online portal and getting in touch with the council. They have been initially able to tell me that Rollason Way was adopted on the 19/09/2017 but unable to tell me if it was Private or Unmaintained before. I have been asked to email into the Highway Services team which I have done and pleaded an asap response.

From the posts about other issues with PCNs at this site (linked above), it does sound like this was Private before and unclear who marked the double yellow lines on the main road. As I do not have any copies of earlier paperwork and have never received photographic proof, I have had my wife submit a DSAR to VCS to request the following;

- all photos taken pertaining to me or any property of which I was the owner of on the date in question.
            - a close up of the signs on the day in question with evidence that they were taken on the date in question.
            - evidence that Vehicle Control Services LTD has paid a debt collector if relevant.
            - all letters/emails sent and received, including any appeal correspondence earlier (to assist, emails had previously been sent to VCS (cpo@vehiclecontrol.co.uk) dated 15/10/15 08:52 and 30/11/2015 22:12 with no response)
            - all data held, all evidence that VCS LTD will rely on in any future hearing and a full copy of the PCN and Notice To Keeper.

I'm acutely aware though that given the DSAR turnaround time of one month, VCS could well delay any response to hinder us due to the amount of response time we have left against the Court Claim.

As I wait for Essex Council and VCS to respond, is there any other information that you believe I should be collecting at this time?

Thanks again for the continued support
            The problem with a DSAR in relation to this is that you are entitled only to data which ID's the Data Subject.
            Generic data (such as site signage) does not fall into that category.
            As there is a court claim in play, to be on the safe side I'd suggest a CPR 31.14 request for disclosure might be more appropriate.
            CAVEAT LECTOR

This is only my opinion - "Opinions are made to be changed --or how is truth to be got at?" (Byron)

Cohen, Herb

gets his brain a-going.
            Phelps, C. C.

Comment

Thanks charitynjw, we emailed a CPR31.34 across to VCS and had a printed copy ready to send via post but VCS replied to the email, acknowledging it and saying it'll go to the correct dept to deal with.

Other than the semi-defunct DSAR and CPR31.34 out to VCS is there any other avenues anyone feels I should explore given the circumstances or do some/all of these depend upon what they come back with?

Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by Broadyman View Post
                Thanks charitynjw, we emailed a CPR31.34 across to VCS and had a printed copy ready to send via post but VCS replied to the email, acknowledging it and saying it'll go to the correct dept to deal with.

Other than the semi-defunct DSAR and CPR31.34 out to VCS is there any other avenues anyone feels I should explore given the circumstances or do some/all of these depend upon what they come back with?

Thanks
                Good stuff!
                Don't hold your breath as regards full disclosure.
                Parking co's usually respond by saying that certain documents are legally priviliged, & they do not have to disclose (or sometimes that they will only disclose at the court hearing.)
                Imho as to the former.....rubbish.
                Legal privilige is only for solicitor/client.
                & commercial privilege is only for things like patents or pricing....stuff like that.
                & to disclose at the very last minute (ie in a hearing) does not give you the time or opportunity to verify the document.
                It is tantamount to an ambush.
                That's my take on it, anyway!
                CAVEAT LECTOR

Cohen, Herb

gets his brain a-going.
                Phelps, C. C.

Comment

Hi, as expected from reading the reply, VCS have not complied with the CPR 31.14 request sent to them on the 04/07/2019. Its not that they have replied and denied the request (I have read on another thread that there is a set reply as to why we are entitled to this information) but they have just not bothered replying at all!

As per the CP31.34 template, the request includes highlighting obligations to comply within 7 days, otherwise there is a requirement to receive a request for more time. Having received nothing so far (13 calendar days, 9 working days later), are there any repucussions for VCS for non-compliance?

Additionally would anybody be able to offer some advice on how to chase this or whether I need to advise the court of this? Especially given that the date our defence would need to be filed by is the 23/07, 6 days away.

Thanks again for any help/advice offered.

Comment

If it were me I'd chase it up, & add to the forthcoming defence that I had to do so.
                    Make sure you get proof of sending any letters.
                    CAVEAT LECTOR

Cohen, Herb

gets his brain a-going.
                    Phelps, C. C.

Comment

Always had it down to chase but didnt know the repucussions of non-compliance but have managed to research more since then. Obviously put off forcing VCS to disclose using a £255 odd court order for a claim of £180 so I'm hoping VCS heed the chaser we've sent or the court imposes a disclosure on them (does the latter happen often?!) I imagine forcing individuals to pick between paying a claim or paying a disclosure amount for a possible answer is all part of the tactics for payment!

As well as the chaser to VCS, I have asked my wife to phone the courts today to give them an update on the VCS non-compliance and that we feel as though we have inadequate information to defend the claim. She has just got off the phone to the courts number and they have said that they're not trained offer any legal perspective and that our defence is still due 29th July - should they have at least noted this on the claim?!?

Having asked VCS if they would like an extension to supply the information and contacted the court, can someone help advise what happens next? If we have another non-response from VCS and the defence is due, do we simply state our CPR requests to provide evidence of the claim have been ignored and hope the courts understand this? Does the court review the defence ahead of any hearing or whatever claim consideration process is undertaken?

Starting to worry a bit as the time is running out and neither VCS or the Court has been any help!

--------

Chaser email

Claim Number: XXX

Following confirmation of receipt of my CPR 31.14 request on 4th July 2019 12:22 by XXX, a VCS Operations Administrator using your cpo@vehiclecontrol.co.uk email, you have failed to comply with the requirement to disclose within 7 days as it has now been 15 calendar days / 11 working days.

I have taken advice, been told that you must supply documents within the request and should I not receive these, I will explain to the court that I am unable to plead until VCS Ltd as the Claimant complies with this formal CPR request. The information I have presently is insufficient for me to submit a defence. Also note that as this case has not been allocated to a track for determination, provisions of CPR 27(2) have no effect and you should not seek to avoid compliance with your CPR 31 duties by claiming otherwise.

I will be in contact with the court today to make them aware of this case of non-compliance and please note that this and any further instances failing to comply will also be marked as evidence submitted to the court.

If you require more time to in which to comply with this request you must tell me in writing and state a date by when you will comply with this request. In addition I require a statement that you agree to an extension of the time for me to file my defence. Your extension of time must be not less than 14 days from the date when you say you will have complied with my request and you must state the new date for filing my defence.

In accordance to CPR 31.15(c) I undertake to be responsible for your reasonable copying costs incurred in complying with this CPR31.14 request

Comment

If you don't receive written confirmation of the extention, do not miss the original defence deadline.
                        Mention their failures in your defence.
                        CAVEAT LECTOR

Cohen, Herb

gets his brain a-going.
                        Phelps, C. C.

Comment

I think after all the effort put in to chase VCS and respond to the Court Claim I have made a grave error - please confirm if its true or rectifiable!

Following non receipt of the CPR 31.14 request to VCS, we further chased, highlighting their non-compliance after the request was acknowledged and asking if they would like to extend the time and to confirm in writing etc - still no reply from VCS.

The defence is due today and using the example defence in the Court section of the site, I tailored a reply and tried to submit it to the Money Claims Online portal late last night, encountering numerous technical issues. The document submission was intended to highlight the non-compliance of CPR31.14 and state that we were unable to submit a plea due to insufficient evidence. I followed the instructions on site, emailed the customer services area of MCO and received an automated response which directs user to submit documents which can then be triaged to various areas.

I further submitted our Defence in a Word document format, included two screenshots of the technical issues in a separate document and attached two emails as proof of the CPR31.14 submission and chaser to VCS. My wife called the customer services dept to confirm receipt and check whether the document had been received and was told the defence had been received and a directions questionnaire would be sent to us to complete by approx 2 weeks time. To me this sounded like the non-plea wasnt recognised and the next step of the process has begun....

On checking through the submitted document, I believe this could be my error as I have mixed two statements denying all allegations with another statement highlighting the Claimants statement of case fails to give adequate information therefore being unable to submit a plea.

Could this now mean that there is going to be a conflict on our statement and lead to further issues? On calling back up to explain the situation, my wife was informed that this would have been the next step either way and that an application notice N244 with a £100 fee would have to be submitted if we wish to provide any further documentation.

Have I just messed up the submission of defence or opportunity to actually get VCS respond!!?
                          We still to this day have never had photographic proof of the signage or vehicle parked on private land

Obfuscated copy of Defence to Claim submitted attached.

Thanks for any help/advice!!
                          Attached Files

Comment

We have now received a Notice of Proposed Allocation to the Small Claims Track and I'm still unsure of how to answer to this to correctly show that we do not have enough information to be able to submit an educated plea. I'm worried now that the first points of the letter are; 1. This is now a defended claim and that the defendant has filed a defence. Does this literally mean that whatever we have said has been declared as a defence or does this still give us an opportunity request the court gets us the information from VCS? As I've said throughout the posts above, we still do not have the crucial information like any photographic evidence of where the car was parked, evidence of the signage, any correspondence from the NTK until the letter before claim.

I've again attached a copy of the obfuscated correspondence from the County Court which may be standard to some on here but is getting very daunting for us.

Please any advice/help would be so appreciated
                            Attached Files

Comment

So you respond to this within the time required. This is normal process. Your defence is what you have submitted

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                              Working...
                              X