• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Parking Fine - Civil Enforcement

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Parking Fine - Civil Enforcement

Originally posted by The Debt Star View Post
    hey, just discovered this thread. is it true then, that if I say get a parking fine from the customer car park at Focus DIY, it is unenforceable and I can ignore it?
    If it comes from a private parking firm, then yes.

What parking fines are enforceable then, only local authority and police ones?
    Yes.

can't private land owners like Focus sue for the fines?
    Yes they can, but the whole point is the difference between a crime and a civil offence. A PCN (penalty charge notice) from a Local Authority, if not paid, will be moved to enforcement through the Magistrates' Court. Whereas, a PCN (parking charge notice) from a private firm will be dealt with by a County Court as it is a civil offence rather than a criminal one.

Note the subtle differences between the PCNs.

Comment

ok, so the private parking firm employed by Focus could take me to court and get a CCJ for not paying their car park fine? that makes it enforceable doesn't it?

Comment

Enforceable as an invoice perhaps, but not as a Penalty Charge Notice because it isn't one.

Comment

Parking on private land and the penalty charges involved are a very contentious issue, but on the whole are completely unenforceable as they rely on implied contract law.

That being said you should always park in a lawful and considerate manner where ever you are.

Comment

Originally posted by onepisedbank_customer View Post
            - But should I appeal or should I ignore -
            Never ignore a Council PCN, that's just asking for trouble
            Its dont through the council i believe so Derbsyhire county council etc the main issue here is its a monthly battle, its not just me either several residents are in the same boat and get tickets for lack of places doesn't seem to make any odds if you have a residancey pass either.
            A resident's permit is no guarantee of a parking space. A few councils will limit the number of permits for a particular area, most will issue as many as applied for regardless of the number of parking spaces available

I am willing to fight this and am tempted to tell them to take me straight to court tbh!!

Any advice would be brill
            OPbC
            Your best bet is to go to Pepipoo here:

FightBack Forums -> Parking and Decriminalised Notices

You will need to post both sides of the PCN, together with any photos of bays, signs etc.

Comment

There is plenty about this on the internet. They use scare tactics.
              The notices are known as PCN's - Parking Charge Notices. The difference between these and Council issued PCN's is that the latter are Penalty Charge Notices - Ignore the latter at your peril for they are enforceable.

With these Parking Charge Notices there can be no debt without a Contract. Even if parking on private land is deemed a Contract such Contract would be with the driver who parked it there.

They will only have details from DVLA about the Registered Keeper, who may or may not have been the driver. There can be no claim against the Registered Keeper per se.

Therefore - Do not reply, even to appeal, however strong the letters might get or from whom they come - nor even if the so called debt mounts up with late payment charges. Most 'solicitors' letters will be from a subsidiary company, probably in the same office as those who claim the debt.

In any event do not pay or offer to pay. That would confirm a contract.

You may get telephone calls - if you are in the directory. They will say 'is that Mr(s) xxxxx?'. Your reply should be 'Who wants to know?'. Hang up if they won't say who they are. Hang up too if they do say they are the PCN people.

Quite a while ago a few PCN firms did raise a claim in the County Court making the Registered Keeper the Defendant. To date NONE have been awarded Judgement where a defence has been entered. That is why you MUST NOT give the name of the driver even if it is not you.

BUT, in the unlikely event that any PCN firm do file proceedings against you, you MUST defend the case (firstly on the documents from the Court and then if necessary in the Court) - (check for the Court 'Seal' on the documents because PCN firms have in the past forged their own 'Court documents'). If you do not enter a defence they will get Judgement by YOUR default.

The defence is that the Registered Keeper has not entered into any Contract with the Claimant and is not the 'offender' and is therefore not liable for any alleged debt. The Court cannot require you to divulge the name of the driver. A Judge who is a bit peeved on the day might ask you who the driver was. The response should be that a few people drive your car on their own Insurance and you cannot recall the particular day in question. Don't just refuse to say who it was.

The letters will stop after a while - maybe it will be a few months. Your credit rating will NOT be affected unless there is a Court Judgement and even then only if you did not pay the Judgement. Nor will Bailiff's attend to seize your goods.

Stick it out and then the shysters will get the message.

Comment

Psst, BigK, thanks for the input, but this thread was from 2009

Comment

Yes, I know its from 2009 Curlyben - but I came across it didn't I, so others might who don't know where to turn against these bullies.

And maybe if a few of the previous posters could confirm that the various PCN firms actions have ceased it would give courage to others not to hand their hard earned cash away.

Kind regards

Comment

UPDATE: See my posts above - I sat tight on a claim for alleged Parking Charge from Car Parking Partnership. The 'offence' was committed in June 2010. I had three letters from them, the last from a firm of Solicitors - they seem to have gone away now - There's a surprise!!! But do read what you must and must not do, above.

Comment

guys i received a similar letter from civil enforcement ltd few montha ago.. after reading few forums ive decided to ignore them... after the final reminder I've received a letter today saying that they are intended to take the matter to Northampton County Court. It is not from Newlyn. i wish i cud attach the letter here...

Anyway the letter still looks fake to me as the County Courts Act (section 69) looks like scanned and pasted into the letter. They say they will seize my vehicle/good, and many other things they can possibly do.

What shall I do? Do I continue to ignore them? It just bugging me.

Please do reply

Comment

Still file it under I.
                        Since when can they seize your vehicle ????

What utter bovine excrement..

What EXACTLY does the letter say ?

Comment

Hello all....just joined the site.
                          Great thread for others to learn from! Ive been fighting these for ages, my son just got his very 1st parking ticket (private scammers) today.
                          Looking forward to all the funny letters from them

Comment

Hi Everyone ,

As with many others I have just recd letter from Civil enforcement Ltd based in Liverpool asking for final demand of £90 as on above threads issued to registered keeper , didnt recieve any earlier demands , ive read the above threads and others on ignoring these letters on the basis that its a civil case and not enforceable etc , my only concern is the above threads go back to 2009 , my letter turned up today 25/6/2012 , has anything changed ie do these companies now follow through with their threats to take you to court ?

Comment

If it's from a private parking company, it's speculative invoicing and unenforceable. A PPC has recently had a claim struck-out by a court, but because it was at County Court level, it doesn't set a precedence. However, one PPC and its directors were fined £30,000 by a magistrates court for their demands. If Civil Enforcement claim you owe them, they have to first prove that there is a legally-enforceable contract in existence and that a loss has been incurred. You cannot sue solely for a penalty charge alone on private land.
                              Last edited by bluebottle; 26th June 2012, 21:07:PM. Reason: Post amended
                              Life is a journey on which we all travel, sometimes together, but never alone.

Comment

Hi I just received one of these parking enforcement notices for £75 or £150 if I don't pay within 14 days.

The thing is that the "fine" went to my work colleagues address as I recently brought the car off her so the details haven't obviously changed on the dvlas systems. I wold happily just ignore all he letters but my work colleague is reluctant to do this as its in her nAme so what are my options? :/

thanks in advance to anyone that replies!

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                                Working...
                                X