• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

caught holding my phone phone while supervising a learner driver

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• caught holding my phone phone while supervising a learner driver

hi , hope everyone is well , but need some advice back in December 23 i was out with my son in his car he was a learner driver , i was in the front and the police pulled me over stating i was holding my phone with my thumbs , they state they saw me for 4 seconds as thy drove past from 3 meters away . i was only moving the phone from the Centre console as the mobile was is the way of the gears and distracting my son from driving. i have checked my phone records and i was not calling or texting anyone at the time. has anyone come across this before . is it worth going to court and plead my case or not. i think there might be a lesser charge i could request which is not being in proper control of a vehicle . any help would help in this matter , thanks
    Tags: None

Tagging HandyAndy and islandgirl

david? you have also posted this on another thread here which is confusing, especially as the posts aren't identical!

The other thread is here:

caught using my mobile device while supervising a leaner driver - LegalBeagles Forum
    All opinions expressed are based on my personal experience. I am not a lawyer and do not hold any legal qualifications.

Comment

Originally posted by david? View Post
      hi , hope everyone is well , but need some advice back in December 23 i was out with my son in his car he was a learner driver , i was in the front and the police pulled me over stating i was holding my phone with my thumbs , they state they saw me for 4 seconds as thy drove past from 3 meters away . i was only moving the phone from the Centre console as the mobile was is the way of the gears and distracting my son from driving. i have checked my phone records and i was not calling or texting anyone at the time. has anyone come across this before . is it worth going to court and plead my case or not. i think there might be a lesser charge i could request which is not being in proper control of a vehicle . any help would help in this matter , thanks
      hi yes sorry new to the platform ,caan you help

Comment

The legislation says that you must not have been "using" your phone. It doesn't say you cannot hold it or move it from one place to another.

The term "using" is now very wide and covers just about everything you might do with a phone. But simply holding it does not meet the bill. If you take this matter to court it is the job of the police to prove that you were using your phone. Do you think they could do that?

i think there might be a lesser charge i could request which is not being in proper control of a vehicle .
        There is a lesser charge which is sometimes used to prosecute mobile phone use. But, unlike the mobile phone legislation, it only applies to drivers, not those supervising them. In any case, it's not for you to "request" one charge or another. That is a matter for the prosecutor.

Comment

I once heard a similar case where someone said they were moving the phone from the dashboard to the seat as it was in the way of their vision and they were seen by the police and prosecuted for using the phone - I seem to remember that was a not guilty after trial but it is a long time ago

Comment

also there where 2 police present , the witness statement , if from the police driver not the other police man , for some reason could this matter ,surely he should have been looking at the road driving

Comment

...surely he should have been looking at the road driving
              Don't even go there. Police officers are trained to do other things whilst they are driving.

The issue you have to decide is can the police reliably testify that you were using the phone? It seems a bit of a stretch to say they can when they saw you for just four seconds as they were passing. When you say "passing" I assume you mean overtaking you. If so it is particularly puzzling if the police driver can reliably say what you were doing because between him and you would have been his passenger and your driver. Or did they pass you in the opposite direction (in which case it is unlikely they would have had you in close sight for four seconds)?

On the other side of he coin (from the court's point of view) it shouldn't take four seconds o move a phone from the centre console. And even if it does, they may find it hard to believe that you did that at the very precise moment the police car passed you.

Is it possible for you to post the police statement up here (suitably redacted)?

Comment

From government site : It’s illegal to hold and use a phone, sat nav, tablet, or any device that can send or receive data, while driving or riding a motorcycle.

This means you must not use a device in your hand for any reason, whether online or offline.

For example, you must not text, make calls, take photos or videos, or browse the web.

The law still applies to you if you’re:
                • stopped at traffic lights
                • queuing in traffic
                • supervising a learner driver
                • driving a car that turns off the engine when you stop moving
                • holding and using a device that’s offline or in flight mode

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                Working...
                X