• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

One Parking Solution - Received Solicitors letter after alleged parking offence

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• One Parking Solution - Received Solicitors letter after alleged parking offence

Hello,
    1. The 'Hirer' just returned to the UK after being stranded abroad for the last 4 months. Amongst the mountains of mail on the doorstep was some letters regarding an alleged parking offence from Feb 2020.
    2. The 'Hirer' was in a hire car at the time.
    3. No PCN was left on the windscreen.
    4. The first letter is from One parking solution to 'The Hirer' dated 18th March 2020. This letter includes the Notice to Hirer (dated 26th Feb 2020) as well as the car hire agreement (please see both attached)
    5. The next letter is a final demand from One Solution.
    6. The next letter is from a debt collection company (ZZPS see attached) dated 22 May 2020.
    7. The last letter received was from QDR Solicitors dated 15th June 2020 (see attached).
    I'm wondering if the 'Hirer' has a case to appeal this? ...and if so do they need to contact all 3 parties or just the solicitor at this point?
    I know in the past the parking company has not delivered the letter including the hire agreement, although in this case they seem to have followed the rules?
    Appreciate any guidance on the best way to approach this.
    Many thanks
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Redeye; 6th January 2022, 11:59:AM.
    Tags: None

The hirer received the Notice to Hirer.* Please edit.* The driver is no longer involved, it is the hirer doing all the work.

If the location is close try to get back there and see what the notices say about the grace period

Other than that they seem to have got it correct.* As the hirer make them and offer of the original £100 as this as the maximum that POFA requires you to pay.

Comment

Originally posted by Redeye View Post
      Hello,
      1. The 'driver' just returned to the UK after being stranded abroad for the last 4 months. Amongst the mountains of mail on the doorstep was some letters regarding an alleged parking offence from Feb 2020.
      2. The 'driver' was in a hire car at the time.
      3. No PCN was left on the windscreen.
      4. The first letter is from One parking solution to 'The Hirer' dated 18th March 2020. This letter includes the Notice to keeper (dated 26th Feb 2020) as well as the car hire agreement (please see both attached)
      5. The next letter is a final demand from One Solution.
      6. The next letter is from a debt collection company (ZZPS see attached) dated 22 May 2020.
      7. The last letter received was from QDR Solicitors dated 15th June 2020 (see attached).
      I'm wondering if the 'driver' has a case to appeal this? ...and if so do they need to contact all 3 parties or just the solicitor at this point?
      I know in the past the parking company has not delivered the letter including the hire agreement, although in this case they seem to have followed the rules?
      Appreciate any guidance on the best way to approach this.
      Many thanks
      Did the driver exceed the grace period or was the driver driving around the car park for an extended time before he or she could park, that is the question. Driving round and round is not parking, there are cases on this.

It may give a get out of jail card here
      I work for Roach Pittis Solicitors. I give my free time available to helping other on the forum and would be happy to try and assist informally where needed. Any posts I make on LegalBeagles are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as legal advice. Any advice I provide is without liability.

If you need to contact me please email me on Pt@roachpittis.co.uk .

I have been involved in leading consumer credit and data protection cases including Harrison v Link Financial Limited (High Court), Grace v Blackhorse (Court of Appeal) and also Kotecha v Phoenix Recoveries (Court of Appeal) along with a number of other reported cases and often blog about all things consumer law orientated.

You can also follow my blog on consumer credit here.

Comment

Originally posted by ostell View Post
        The hirer received the Notice to Hirer. Please edit. The driver is no longer involved, it is the hirer doing all the work.

If the location is close try to get back there and see what the notices say about the grace period

Other than that they seem to have got it correct. As the hirer make them and offer of the original £100 as this as the maximum that POFA requires you to pay.
        Ok thanks.

I'm going to go back and check the signage in a couple of days and will see.

If the hirer ends up making the offer I presume this is to the solicitor rather than One Parking Solution?
        Last edited by Redeye; 5th July 2020, 10:55:AM.

Comment

Originally posted by pt2537 View Post

Did the driver exceed the grace period or was the driver driving around the car park for an extended time before he or she could park, that is the question. Driving round and round is not parking, there are cases on this.

It may give a get out of jail card here
          Thanks

The driver didn't have any change so walked to a coffee shop, bought a coffee then returned. They were probably about 10 - 15 minutes. As they didn't have a PCN on the car when they returned and thought phew! They then paid for 4 hours!
          Last edited by Redeye; 6th July 2020, 16:38:PM.

Comment

The hirer received the Notice to Hirer. Please edit. The driver is no longer involved, it is the hirer doing all the work.

Other than that they seem to have got it correct. As the hirer make them and offer of the original £100 as this as the maximum that POFA requires you to pay.
            Hi,

I've attached a photo of the sign here. Although it's quite hard to see the writing I have managed to read it and no mention of a grace period.
            The driver was approx 15 minutes getting change for the machine and then bought 4 hours worth of parking. Do you think this is grounds for an appeal or contract dispute?

Many thanks
            R
            Attached Files
            Last edited by Redeye; 6th July 2020, 16:38:PM.

Comment

Pardon me from butting and being a mildly irritating Devil's advocate, but what proof is there that a 4 hour ticket was bought?

Comment

Originally posted by Aged William View Post
                Pardon me from butting and being a mildly irritating Devil's advocate, but what proof is there that a 4 hour ticket was bought?
                well the car did have a printed ticket but did not keep it as there was no PCN on the windscreen when they returned so they presumed everything was ok.

One Parking Solution do actually mention this in their letter too so that is some kind of proof.
                Last edited by Redeye; 16th June 2021, 11:48:AM.

Comment

Hi Ostell,

Did you see the latest update?

No mention of a grace period.
                  The driver was approx 15 minutes getting change for the machine and then bought 4 hours worth of parking. Do you think this is grounds for an appeal or contract dispute?

Many thanks
                  R
                  Last edited by Redeye; 6th July 2020, 16:37:PM.

Comment

The driver was 15 minutes getting the change...* and the driver had the tickets....* *please take care as you type and edit

Yes, you appeal on the basis that there was no condition on the sign that required payment within xx minutes.* Send a good, readable photo of the sign and ask them to point out the condition they allege the driver broke which could possibly have given rise to a charge for breach

Comment

The driver was 15 minutes getting the change... and the driver had the tickets.... please take care as you type and edit

Yes, you appeal on the basis that there was no condition on the sign that required payment within xx minutes. Send a good, readable photo of the sign and ask them to point out the condition they allege the driver broke which could possibly have given rise to a charge for breach
                      Ok thanks very much. I presume this is to the solicitor rather than the parking company at this stage?*

Comment

Send to both

Comment

Seems to me Ostell is right, contractually there was no requirement to purchase a ticket in a certain time frame, the driver purchased a t icket covering adequately the time the vehicle was parked on the premises, and they dont seem to have any evidence that the driver took too long to buy a ticket, what i mean by that is they have no evidence for example how long the driver was driving around the car park looking for a space, no evidence of how long it was from when the driver parked to the time they arrrived at the ticket machine, what if the driver was disabled for example and walked slower than others. Seems to me there are a few points to take here
                          I work for Roach Pittis Solicitors. I give my free time available to helping other on the forum and would be happy to try and assist informally where needed. Any posts I make on LegalBeagles are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as legal advice. Any advice I provide is without liability.

If you need to contact me please email me on Pt@roachpittis.co.uk .

I have been involved in leading consumer credit and data protection cases including Harrison v Link Financial Limited (High Court), Grace v Blackhorse (Court of Appeal) and also Kotecha v Phoenix Recoveries (Court of Appeal) along with a number of other reported cases and often blog about all things consumer law orientated.

You can also follow my blog on consumer credit here.

Comment

Hi Guys,

This one has come back to haunt me a year later and I recently received a money claim from DCB Legal acting on behalf of One Parking Solution Ltd.

I had originally sent a reply to One Parking Solution Ltd & QDR Solicitors last year including a copy of the parking sign and asking for which part specified how long the grace period was. Although I did not receive any reply from either.

I now need to write a defence. Having never done this before I would be grateful for any advice. The particulars of claim are below:-

1. The defendant is indebted to the Claimant for a Parking Charge issued to vehicle XXXXXXX at Vantage Point, Brighton, BN1
                            2. The PCN details are 18/02/2020 XXXXXXXX
                            3. The PCN was issued on private land owned or managed by The Claimant. The vehicle was parked in breach of the terms & C's signs (the contract), thus incurring the PCN.
                            4. The Driver agreed to pay within 28 days but did not. The defendant is liable as the driver or keeper. Despite requests, the PCN is outstanding.

The contract entitles the Claimant to damages and the Claimant claims:-
                            1. £160 being the total of the PCN and damages.
                            2. Interest at a rate of 8% per annum pursuant to s.69 of the County Courts Act 1984 from the date hereof at a daily rate of £0.02 until judgement or sooner payment
                            3. Costs and court fees.

Thanks in advance

R

Comment

Originally posted by Redeye View Post
                              Hi Guys,

This one has come back to haunt me a year later and I recently received a money claim from DCB Legal acting on behalf of One Parking Solution Ltd.

I had originally sent a reply to One Parking Solution Ltd & QDR Solicitors last year including a copy of the parking sign and asking for which part specified how long the grace period was. Although I did not receive any reply from either.

I now need to write a defence. Having never done this before I would be grateful for any advice. The particulars of claim are below:-

1. The defendant is indebted to the Claimant for a Parking Charge issued to vehicle XXXXXXX at Vantage Point, Brighton, BN1
                              2. The PCN details are 18/02/2020 XXXXXXXX
                              3. The PCN was issued on private land owned or managed by The Claimant. The vehicle was parked in breach of the terms & C's signs (the contract), thus incurring the PCN.
                              4. The Driver agreed to pay within 28 days but did not. The defendant is liable as the driver or keeper. Despite requests, the PCN is outstanding.

The contract entitles the Claimant to damages and the Claimant claims:-
                              1. £160 being the total of the PCN and damages.
                              2. Interest at a rate of 8% per annum pursuant to s.69 of the County Courts Act 1984 from the date hereof at a daily rate of £0.02 until judgement or sooner payment
                              3. Costs and court fees.

Thanks in advance

R
                              I'm not sure if anyone is going to see this post as I continued onto an old thread from last year rather than starting a new thread. Thought it would be better this way as all the previous information is already in this thread above.

Is Ostell or PT2537 still around?

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                              Working...
                              X