• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Advice Please - Due In Court Monday - Unpaid Car Tax

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Advice Please - Due In Court Monday - Unpaid Car Tax

Hi all, I've posted this on another forum but hoping to get as much help as I can is a short space of time. I'll apologise first if this post becomes a bit long winded, I'll try and keep it as brief as possible.

I forgot to renew car tax which expired 30/09/18 (absolutely no excuses from me about this)

Received a penalty notice for unpaid car tax, paid penalty immediately on 27/11/18 and taxed car at the same time. Tax was due from 1/11/19, all good so far, apart from the extra £42.50 fine. (Annual car tax is only £30!)

Received a "Single Justice Procedure Notice" on or around the 9/4/19 as car was spotted on the road 19/11/18. By this point I no longer had the penalty notice letter from the DVLA to see whether this was the offence I had already paid.

I plead guilty by post but noted that I had already paid a penalty notice and submitted the receipt (receipt does not state date of the offence) and confirmation that the tax was then paid immediately afterwards.

I have now been summoned to court, 'Reason = Equivocal Please, defendant to attend to clarify as what I've said could amount to a defence' Due in court 10am Monday 3rd.

So I'm panicking at this point, I'm not good in situations like these and have suffered with some pretty crippling anxiety in the past.

I contacted the DVLA this morning to see if they could shed some light on the matter and they've confirmed that there was two penalty notices of which only one has been settled and the other referred to court.
    Notice that was settled was an automatic penalty sent after 6-weeks of unpaid tax if the vehicle isn't SORN'd, the unsettled penalty being spotted on the road without tax.

To the best of my knowledge and with my hand on my heart I only received ONE penalty notice, which I paid. I'm not the type who would ever ignore anything like that as the thought of it ever ending up in court would really worry me (as it is now doing)

So basically I'm not denying anything now that I've confirmed it with the DVLA, happy to plead guilty as charged but would really, REALLY prefer not to attend court.

Do I have any option? Can I ring them up and tell them I plead guilty and to crack on without me. Can I bury my head in the sand, say nothing and not turn up? (I know this is a stupid thing to consider but people who’ve never suffered from severe anxiety probably wouldn’t understand)

I would quite happily pay a fine of several hundred pounds to NOT attend court.

Any helpful words of advice would be greatly appreciated, had my first sleepless night last night over this and anticipate panic attacks to be in full flow by Sunday Evening.

I hope it all makes sense, thanks for reading.
    Tags: None

Originally posted by obtuse0981 View Post
    Do I have any option? Can I ring them up and tell them I plead guilty and to crack on without me. Can I bury my head in the sand, say nothing and not turn up? (I know this is a stupid thing to consider but people who’ve never suffered from severe anxiety probably wouldn’t understand)
    No, the court could issue a warrant for you arrest.

Originally posted by obtuse0981 View Post
    I would quite happily pay a fine of several hundred pounds to NOT attend court.

Any helpful words of advice would be greatly appreciated, had my first sleepless night last night over this and anticipate panic attacks to be in full flow by Sunday Evening.

I hope it all makes sense, thanks for reading.
    When you get there ask for the duty solicitor, explain everything and then let them handle the in the court room stuff. When asked in the court room if you'd like to respond to anything just apologise for wasting everyone's time really.
    COMPLETING AN N180 DIRECTIONS QUESTIONNAIRE (SMALL CLAIMS TRACK) GUIDE

My posts here are based on my experience of a variety of life events. I have no formal legal training & if in doubt take professional legal advice or contact CAB. If you follow anything I write here you do so at your own risk & I accept no liability for any loss, costs or other outcomes.

Private messages are disabled as help is only offered publicly. I do not come on here in the evening, at weekends or on public holidays.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
    Working...
    X