• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Failed Boiler in rented student accommodation

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Failed Boiler in rented student accommodation

Hello,

I am currently in dispute over a failed boiler during the end of Dec. 22 to early Jan. 23. The Landlords' letting agent fixed the boiler after 18 days, during the period of the fault there was not hot water or central heating. I am claiming that the property was unfit for habitation since minimum temperatures were not maintained and as such as a tenant I had to leave. I'm seeking a rent reduction for the majority of the period of fault, allowing a reasonable time for repair. However the Landlord's agent has only offered a 5% reduction in rent which I feel is inadequate. During the absence from the property use of university facilities wasn't possible since I was no longer residing local to the facilities / resources.

Do I have any substantive claim for rent reduction or loss due to inability to access educational facilities.

Thanks,

Tags: None

You haven't given the reason for the 18 day delay in repairing the boiler.
    CAVEAT LECTOR

This is only my opinion - "Opinions are made to be changed --or how is truth to be got at?" (Byron)

You and I do not see things as they are. We see things as we are.
    Cohen, Herb

There is danger when a man throws his tongue into high gear before he
    gets his brain a-going.
    Phelps, C. C.

"They couldn't hit an elephant at this distance!"
    The last words of John Sedgwick

Comment

The Letting agent quoted the Christmas period and postal strike as reasons for the delay in repairing the boiler.

Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Twosocks View Post
        The Letting agent quoted the Christmas period and postal strike as reasons for the delay in repairing the boiler.

Thanks
        So Santa and a postman were not available to fix it?

How many days were you not there?

18 days is not reasonable so stand your ground and put in a counter offer.

Comment

I suppose each case turns on it's own facts.
          CAVEAT LECTOR

This is only my opinion - "Opinions are made to be changed --or how is truth to be got at?" (Byron)

Cohen, Herb

gets his brain a-going.
          Phelps, C. C.

Comment

Originally posted by paulajayne View Post

So Santa and a postman were not available to fix it?

How many days were you not there?

18 days is not reasonable so stand your ground and put in a counter offer.
            So a National Elf strike?
            CAVEAT LECTOR

Cohen, Herb

gets his brain a-going.
            Phelps, C. C.

Comment

Originally posted by charitynjw View Post

L O L

Comment

Originally posted by charitynjw View Post

Probably just working to Rudolf.

Comment

Originally posted by EXC View Post

Probably just working to Rudolf.
                  Hi EXC

The Russian weather forecaster?

Rudolf the Red knows rain, dear
                  Rudolf's little known Swedish cousin?
                  Olof, the other reindeer.
                  Coat?
                  Last edited by charitynjw; 14th February 2023, 06:39:AM.
                  CAVEAT LECTOR

Cohen, Herb

gets his brain a-going.
                  Phelps, C. C.

Comment

Thanks
                    Events such as the world-wide Covid pandemic & the shortage of semiconductors has had a severe effect on the avalablity of boilers & boiler components. PCBs are difficult to source, & new boilers are in short supply. A friend of mine (heating engineer) tells me that, unlike a couple of years ago when you were spoiled for choice, nowadays you have to take whatever is available.
                    Could that be the reason for the delay?
                    Last edited by charitynjw; 14th February 2023, 06:53:AM.
                    CAVEAT LECTOR

Cohen, Herb

gets his brain a-going.
                    Phelps, C. C.

Comment

As you have a dispute, there should be an arbitration scheme available to you. Follow your landlords complaints procedure, then the matter should be referred to the arbitration scheme if unresolved. I don't think the reasons given by the landlord stack up. No doubt the costs incurred during that period would be substantially higher then costs outside of that period, but that's not your problem.

Comment

a) I think you should have a bigger reduction b) Most unis/colleges are shut during the time the boiler did not function. Why is the claim based on access to educational facilities?

Comment

Hello,

I am currently in dispute over a failed boiler during the end of Dec. 22 to early Jan. 23. The Landlords' letting agent fixed the boiler after 18 days, during the period of the fault there was not hot water or central heating. I am claiming that the property was unfit for habitation since minimum temperatures were not maintained and as such as a tenant I had to leave.
                          During the absence from the property use of university facilities wasn't possible since I was no longer residing local to the facilities / resources.

Thanks,
                          My children come back to the family home Xmas & New Year..........
                          CAVEAT LECTOR

Cohen, Herb

gets his brain a-going.
                          Phelps, C. C.

Comment

Hello,

Educational facilities are available 24/7, but obvioulsy only if resident locally.Since boiler wasn't working there was no heating or hot water for washing etc. so I'm arguing that the property was unfit for human habitation and so I had to move out / away from educational facilities and resources for duration of fault, at least.

Comment

Hello,

I will be adhering to their complaints procedure and appealing if not satisfied by their offer(s).

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                              Working...
                              X