• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Should the owner of trees be required to prune them in this case?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Should the owner of trees be required to prune them in this case?

Hi. I rent from the local council. A row of trees running along the back of my back garden, belonging to a private residence, have never been pruned and they reduce the light that's coming into the kitchen. They must be about thirty foot high. The council has never done anything when we (three tenants in a row of three houses) have asked the council to do something to better our lighting situation. Well, a few weeks ago a branch from one of the trees fell into my back garden and damaged a shed. The council and the owner of the trees will owe me a duty of care. Given that an incident of damage has actually occured, is the council obliged to command the tree owner to prune the height of the row of trees? Also, is there a body that deals with what is effectively a health & safety issue? Should I see a solicitor if the council do nothing? Thank you. Rich
    Tags: None

If the land where the branch of a tree that fell was the public highway, I think the council would be obliged to command the owner of trees to prune them. And I surmise, since the land is council property (I rent from council) the same applies. However, if the land was private property I personally would have to bring an action to require a pruning of the trees. I think this is the legal situation. Rich

Comment

If in private ownership, the owner may have property insurance which covers the damage. Have you asked the person where the tree is planted if they are covered by insurance?

Quite possibly your own property insurance company could take action for the damage against the owners of the tree in question

Comment

Legally speaking you are entitled to prune any plant that over hangs your property to the boundary of your property, but you must return the off cuts to the land owner of where they are planted.

In other words you can cut the branches up to the fence line, but you need to chuck what you cut off over the fence. If they chuck them back then you can dispose of them.

Regards the damaged shed, the owner of the land the tree is planted on is responsible for the damage.

As for the height you could use the Right to Light Act 1959. This acts states that a property has a right to light if it has had light for 20 years or more. This can work for items such as big fences as you could apply to the courts for a Restore Light Order as you most likely can pinpoint when the fence went up and when the light was lost. But it is not so easy with trees as they grow slowly so the dates might be inaccurate. Also if the tree has a tree preservation order then it will not come under this act.

Another option would be the High Hedges Act with the local council but it would need to fit into this criteria:
        • Made up of a line of 2 or more trees or shrubs
        • Evergreen or semi-evergreen
        • More than 2 metres tall
        • A barrier to light or access (even if there are gaps)
        The local council will also want to see that you have at least attempted to resolve the issue before they will get involved. They offer a guide called 'Over the garden hedge' to help resolve issues, it is best to follow this guide and document your efforts before approaching the council.

If you can't solve the solution these ways then I'm afraid there is nothing more can be done.
        COMPLETING AN N180 DIRECTIONS QUESTIONNAIRE (SMALL CLAIMS TRACK) GUIDE

My posts here are based on my experience of a variety of life events. I have no formal legal training & if in doubt take professional legal advice or contact CAB. If you follow anything I write here you do so at your own risk & I accept no liability for any loss, costs or other outcomes.

Private messages are disabled as help is only offered publicly. I do not come on here in the evening, at weekends or on public holidays.

Comment

I think my best option would be to use the Light Act. I can tick off on all of the criteria. I surmise that if the land where the tree landed was on a council pathhway, the council could order the pruning of the trees, because they owe a duty of care towards the public. Why then, if the council owns the land where the tree fell (my garden), would the council not owe a duty of care? Or do they?

Comment

It's not that the council owes you a duty of care, you need to complain to the council pursuant to the Light Act who will then ask the land owner to do something about the trees and if they don't then seek an order to force them to do it.
            COMPLETING AN N180 DIRECTIONS QUESTIONNAIRE (SMALL CLAIMS TRACK) GUIDE

My posts here are based on my experience of a variety of life events. I have no formal legal training & if in doubt take professional legal advice or contact CAB. If you follow anything I write here you do so at your own risk & I accept no liability for any loss, costs or other outcomes.

Private messages are disabled as help is only offered publicly. I do not come on here in the evening, at weekends or on public holidays.

Comment

There needs to be some sort of quantification here. By how much is the light interfered with? This might be answered by the LA on inspection.

Until you have this there is no possibility of arguing for negligence on the part of anybody.

Comment

Nine month old thread resuurected by spammer

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                Working...
                X