• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Leasing office refusing to give money back

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Leasing office refusing to give money back

Hello, I'm new to this forum and this is my first post, so please forgive my ignorance. I hope this belongs here.

The situation I'm currently in goes as follows: basically I accidentally sent my monthly rent money to my old leasing office instead of my current one, it was an honest mistake (early in the morning, wasn't thinking straight). I sent it as an online payment, and immediately sent my current leasing office the rent money afterwards. I haven't rented with my old leasing office for nearly two years.

It was a Sunday, so banks and my old leasing office (which I'll refer to as T) were closed, all I could do was to send T an email explaining my mistake. I never got along too well with T, there were multiple issues with the flat, some of which they just blatantly denied. I had a feeling they would be difficult with me in trying to get the money back. On Monday I went to the bank and asked what my options were, they said the easiest way is to just ask T to give it back before the bank gets involved. I Called T later and was told to email a specific person, this person was the same person I used to deal with when I was a tenant, and I remember them being aggressive and difficult even then. I emailed this person, explaining it was a mistake and asked for money back. I got an email back stating they claimed I owed them money and that they were keeping the money. They said I left the flat in a bad state, even though we had agreed at the time that I forfeited my deposit I should note I never received any bill or email stating I owed them money in the time that I've not been their tenant.. I emailed back saying that I don't owe money, and that it's curious that they only now have decided I owe money only when I've accidently sent money.

An important detail is that I was on an official signed lease up until a point, but then it just went onto a rolling contract that was purely verbally agreed, no signatures or leasing agreement. Now they say I owe rent in a period of time outside the official leasing agreement, during a time when I had already vacated the flat. I think they are trying to label it as rent money as the note I sent with the payment said "my name- rent".

I'm just wondering what my options are? Ive started the process with the bank for them to try to get a refund. I'm considering an ombudsman. I just feel they don't have a leg to stand on really, but I just need proper advice please.

Thank you
    Tags: None

Police for theft.

Comment

You could make a Complaint via Action Fraud. Once you complete all the details you will get a reference number. You could write a letter to the old leasing firm that reluctantly you've had to make a formal complaint to the police to investigate, add the reference number given by Action Fraud.

See if they see your mistaken payment in the same light.

It they kept your deposit without giving you a detailed explanation, you should seek to get that back once the 'mistaken money', issue is resolved.

https://www.actionfraud.police.uk/

Comment

Small claims court

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
        Working...
        X