• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Possible Breach of Lease but not sure if this counts ?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Possible Breach of Lease but not sure if this counts ?

Hi guys

I've had a neighbor upstairs cause 3 lots of damage to my flat with building work, I've gone through the lease and wanted to make sure that I've selected the correct breach clauses for the type of damage they have created.

The damage is this
    1. Extensive debris within floor space between their flat and my flat ceiling space which is causing a fire risk in addition to rubble and dirt intrusion through spot lights.
    1. Extensive water damage to my living room ceiling, carpet and sofa.
    1. Extensive water damage to bedroom ceiling and internal wall of my flat caused by dislodging an external gutter downpipe.

The lease of the above flat states these two clauses

Clause 8

Nothing shall be done or omitted to be done anywhere on the property that may cause inconvenience or annoyance to any resident on the property or in the neighbourhood and the generality of this regulation shall not be restricted by any other regulation

Clause 9

Not to do or allow to be done in the premises or on the property anything whereby the insurance for the time being effected on the property or any part thereof (including the premises) may be rendered void or voidable or whereby the rate of premium may be increased.

Can I makes sure that I am correct in assuming the damage breaches both clauses above as I'm unable to find any other clause that is relevant.

Many thanks

Tags: None

can anyone advise if the two above clauses are correct regarding the damage they have caused ?

Comment

I was hoping someone might be able to help with the above question, I have a management meeting very soon and wanted an idea of what we might be able to do about this

Comment

Nobody can comment on 9 because we don't know what the terms of the insurance policy are and you haven't told us what you intend to do, so how can we say whether either are relevant to the course of action you wish to pursue.
        COMPLETING AN N180 DIRECTIONS QUESTIONNAIRE (SMALL CLAIMS TRACK) GUIDE

My posts here are based on my experience of a variety of life events. I have no formal legal training & if in doubt take professional legal advice or contact CAB. If you follow anything I write here you do so at your own risk & I accept no liability for any loss, costs or other outcomes.

Private messages are disabled as help is only offered publicly. I do not come on here in the evening, at weekends or on public holidays.

Comment

Originally posted by jaguarsuk View Post
          Nobody can comment on 9 because we don't know what the terms of the insurance policy are and you haven't told us what you intend to do, so how can we say whether either are relevant to the course of action you wish to pursue.
          Thanks JaguarsUK

I have checked through the Building Insurance Policy and spoken to my Insurance Broker who set up the policy and confirmed that the neighbors damage to my ceiling would indeed increase my premiums ( if claimed ) and also the increased fire risk from the ceiling/floor space debris is a known risk that if not disclosed could void the policy.

My actions to follow these possible breaches would be to raise a Section 146 Notice listing these two clauses having been breached due to the damage and debris within the floor space..

I just need to confirm that I have selected the correct two clauses as breached as I don't want to submit my Section 146 notice and then when it goes to court find out that I've made a mistake..in your opinion do both clauses 8 and 9 seem relevant to the damage caused by the neighbor ?

Clause 8

Nothing shall be done or omitted to be done anywhere on the property that may cause inconvenience or annoyance to any resident on the property or in the neighbourhood and the generality of this regulation shall not be restricted by any other regulation

Clause 9

Not to do or allow to be done in the premises or on the property anything whereby the insurance for the time being effected on the property or any part thereof (including the premises) may be rendered void or voidable or whereby the rate of premium may be increased

many thanks again for your time

Comment

In that circumstance it looks as though yes you have selected the clauses yes, but are you the freeholder and therefore the landlord of their leasehold?

My posts here are based on my experience of a variety of life events. I have no formal legal training & if in doubt take professional legal advice or contact CAB. If you follow anything I write here you do so at your own risk & I accept no liability for any loss, costs or other outcomes.

Private messages are disabled as help is only offered publicly. I do not come on here in the evening, at weekends or on public holidays.

Comment

edited
              Last edited by lucky13; 28th October 2019, 11:47:AM.

Comment

Originally posted by lucky13 View Post

Thanks JaguarsUK

I have checked through the Building Insurance Policy and spoken to my Insurance Broker who set up the policy and confirmed that the neighbors damage to my ceiling would indeed increase my premiums ( if claimed ) and also the increased fire risk from the ceiling/floor space debris is a known risk that if not disclosed could void the policy.

My actions to follow these possible breaches would be to raise a Section 146 Notice listing these two clauses having been breached due to the damage and debris within the floor space..

I just need to confirm that I have selected the correct two clauses as breached as I don't want to submit my Section 146 notice and then when it goes to court find out that I've made a mistake..in your opinion do both clauses 8 and 9 seem relevant to the damage caused by the neighbor ?

Clause 8

Clause 9

Not to do or allow to be done in the premises or on the property anything whereby the insurance for the time being effected on the property or any part thereof (including the premises) may be rendered void or voidable or whereby the rate of premium may be increased

many thanks again for your time

Great thanks JaguarsUK

Yes we are the Management Company but in the Head Lease it states that we legally act on the the Freeholders behalf for breaches of the lease.

Sorry just one more question when I was reading the FAQ about raising a S146 Notice it states that if you are going to ask for financial compensation for the breach/es then it must be included in the original S146 Notice otherwise compensation can't be claimed later.

If I do decide to request compensation for the breaches am I allowed to make an amount applicable to Clause 8 only ...the tenant has actually broken 6 other Clauses in total and each one requires it's own independent remedy but Clause 8 which applies to the damage in my flat is going to cost me around £3000 to repair; can I state in the S146 Notice that to remedy Clause 8 ( and only Clause 8 ) then a Compensation payment of £3000 will be required ?

Many thanks again for your time it is really appreciated

Comment

Originally posted by lucky13 View Post
                  Great thanks JaguarsUK

Yes we are the Management Company but in the Head Lease it states that we legally act on the the Freeholders behalf for breaches of the lease.

Sorry just one more question when I was reading the FAQ about raising a S146 Notice it states that if you are going to ask for financial compensation for the breach/es then it must be included in the original S146 Notice otherwise compensation can't be claimed later.

If I do decide to request compensation for the breaches am I allowed to make an amount applicable to Clause 8 only ...the tenant has actually broken 6 other Clauses in total and each one requires it's own independent remedy but Clause 8 which applies to the damage in my flat is going to cost me around £3000 to repair; can I state in the S146 Notice that to remedy Clause 8 ( and only Clause 8 ) then a Compensation payment of £3000 will be required ?

Many thanks again for your time it is really appreciated
                  Any notice or claim had to be served in the name of the landlord with you acting as their agent.

I don't know what other clauses have been broken, how and what effect that has nor do I know any other of the terms of the lease. It's impossible for me to tell you what clause to pursue them with, but my advice would be think about which route would in a court claim would be the most likely to succeed.

Comment

Clause 9

Not to do or allow to be done in the premises or on the property anything whereby the insurance for the time being effected on the property or any part thereof (including the premises) may be rendered void or voidable or whereby the rate of premium may be increased.
                    ado stunt cars 2

Comment

Originally posted by jaguarsuk View Post

Any notice or claim had to be served in the name of the landlord with you acting as their agent.

I don't know what other clauses have been broken, how and what effect that has nor do I know any other of the terms of the lease. It's impossible for me to tell you what clause to pursue them with, but my advice would be think about which route would in a court claim would be the most likely to succeed.

thanks for your reply but your message is a little confusing for me to understand really all I'm asking for is can I request compensation in a S146 notice to resolve just one of the breaches..I know there a total of 7 breaches but none are related to the one which requires compensation for the repair work.

Essentially I don't want the compensation to be considered as a resolution for all 7 breaches, so within my Section 146 Notice to the tenant can I say "To resolve Breach No 6 for the damage to my ceiling you must pay £3000" If they do pay then only Breach 6 would be considered un-breached.

Comment

You should state the required remedy for each breach.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                        Working...
                        X