• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Letting Fees etc

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Letting Fees etc

My daughters just shown me her agreement ( I know!)

Shes paid £250,£90 and £392.73... they're asking for another £392.73 as a reservation fee ?

Whereas she thinks it was actually deferred not in addition to the reservation fee she'd already paid (

and aren't reservation fees meant meant to be banned ? I have a feeling that came in a few weeks after they signed up.

Anyway as I can't get through to them on the telephone I've emailed them to query their request for further £392.
    Click image for larger version  Name:	53AC5860-0D19-4021-B814-CE930A351E29.jpeg Views:	1 Size:	85.9 KB ID:	1482809
    #staysafestayhome

Any support I provide is offered without liability, if you are unsure please seek professional legal guidance.

Received a Court Claim? Read >>>>> First Steps
    Tags: None

Looks like you are right - you should assume that all payments are prohibited under the Tenant Fees Act 2019 unless they are permitted under the legislation. This is assuming she hasn't signed a an agreement prior to 1 June 2019 then those payments would be prohibited.

The .Gov guidance has some example letters at the end of the document you can use to write to the Landlord/Letting Agent (click here). There's also some guidance on what to do if the Landlord/Letting Agent refuses to pay back the prohibited payments.

Obviously if your daughter raises the issue now before signing the agreement it might cause friction and perhaps they may revoke any offer to agree the tenancy so she may wish to wait until that is all done and signed before making a complaint. If thye do refuse, she can make an application to the Property Tribunal for recovery of it as well as reporting to trading standards.
    If you have a question about the voluntary termination process, please read this guide first, as it should have all the answers you need. Please do not hijack another person's thread as I will not respond to you
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    LEGAL DISCLAIMER
    Please be aware that this is a public forum and is therefore accessible to anyone. The content I post on this forum is not intended to be legal advice nor does it establish any client-lawyer type relationship between you and me. Therefore any use of my content is at your own risk and I cannot be held responsible in any way. It is always recommended that you seek independent legal advice.

Comment

Pretty much all fees were banned as of the 1st June 2019 for tenants.

Reservation fees after that are supposed to be no more than 1 week of rent to take a property off the market, this is then deducted from the deposit or first month rent assuming the property is rented to them. If not the reservation fee is returned and only forfeited under very strict circumstances.

Unless you're dealing with a massive cowboy I wouldn't have thought the agent would risk it after June, so may well be they signed before. I know a lot of agents were scrambling to get tenants to renew tendencies early to capitalise on their last chance to sting them £60 for the privilege of printing off documents.

The industry is so unregulated and essentially tenants have little redress against the practices of agents/landlords. It why my new business venture in Alpha test and build phase is a review site for them.
      COMPLETING AN N180 DIRECTIONS QUESTIONNAIRE (SMALL CLAIMS TRACK) GUIDE

My posts here are based on my experience of a variety of life events. I have no formal legal training & if in doubt take professional legal advice or contact CAB. If you follow anything I write here you do so at your own risk & I accept no liability for any loss, costs or other outcomes.

Private messages are disabled as help is only offered publicly. I do not come on here in the evening, at weekends or on public holidays.

Comment

Thank you R0b & Jags, unfortunately she did sign the agreement last year ( they work so far in advance on student letting ).

There is a bit Ive spotted in the 'guarantor' agreement they want me to agree to that doesn't really scan with the rest of the information... seems this is their current document and they haven't accounted for them signing up pre June. they seem a bit of a fly by night outfit and their documentation is terrible, their email was unprofessional ( poor grammar/ spelling - I thought it was a phishing scam to start with it was that bad) and don't answer their phones...
        utterly appalling reviews... the problem we have is the friend she's going to be living with took charge of
        arranging things and I've tried not to stick my oar in ( till now lol )
        I won't be guarantoring anything till things are straightened out a bit. I've emailed them some queries so we'll go from there.

Click image for larger version  Name:	DA92E694-D589-48D0-BCC9-0E48E41B1B27.jpeg Views:	1 Size:	27.4 KB ID:	1482855
        #staysafestayhome

Any support I provide is offered without liability, if you are unsure please seek professional legal guidance.

Comment

That's more in tune with the rules now, albeit it a month instead of a week.
          COMPLETING AN N180 DIRECTIONS QUESTIONNAIRE (SMALL CLAIMS TRACK) GUIDE

My posts here are based on my experience of a variety of life events. I have no formal legal training & if in doubt take professional legal advice or contact CAB. If you follow anything I write here you do so at your own risk & I accept no liability for any loss, costs or other outcomes.

Private messages are disabled as help is only offered publicly. I do not come on here in the evening, at weekends or on public holidays.

Comment

Going to go in to their office today to see if I can get things sorted out. Haven't had a reply to my email and their phone mailbox is full & they're not answering calls ... I am a tad concerned.
            #staysafestayhome

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
            Working...
            X