• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Tenency Renewal Question

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tenency Renewal Question

Hi guys,

Looking for advice really. I rent a property through a letting agency. The initial term recently expired and I was emailed about renewal and agreed and signed contracts etc to then receive another email requesting payment of £114 for the renewal.

My question is whether this is legit if it hasn't been mentioned previously. I am asked to make payment by bank transfer using the same reference number as my rental payment. Could the letting agent deduct their fee from the rent payment and indicate to the landlord my payment was less? I am loathe to pay this fee purely because it wasn't mentioned previously and also it seems a steep charge for them reprinting five sheets of A4.

Where do I stand from a legal point of view if I refuse to pay it?

Thank you!
    Tags: None

From 1 June 2019 all upfront fees for tenants will be banned. What you can’t be asked to pay

If you sign a new tenancy or renew your tenancy after 1 June, you can’t be asked to pay for:
    • referencing
    • credit and immigration checks
    • administration
    • renewing your contract
    What you can still be asked to pay

The only fees that you can be charged will be:
    • for the cost of replacing a key if you lose one
    • if you are more than 14 days late with your rent
    • if you want to change your tenancy or bring it to an end
    How much you can be charged

At the moment there are no rules setting out how much letting agents can charge.
    Different agencies often charge different fees for the same service.

Letting agents must clearly set out the fees they charge on their websites and in their offices. They must tell you:
    • the cost of each fee including VAT
    • what the fee covers

Applicable in England

Comment

Originally posted by Aaabbb View Post
      Hi guys,

Looking for advice really. I rent a property through a letting agency. The initial term recently expired and I was emailed about renewal and agreed and signed contracts etc to then receive another email requesting payment of £114 for the renewal.

My question is whether this is legit if it hasn't been mentioned previously. I am asked to make payment by bank transfer using the same reference number as my rental payment. Could the letting agent deduct their fee from the rent payment and indicate to the landlord my payment was less? I am loathe to pay this fee purely because it wasn't mentioned previously and also it seems a steep charge for them reprinting five sheets of A4.

Where do I stand from a legal point of view if I refuse to pay it?

Thank you!
      Whilst post #2 is good going forward, it doesn't apply to you as it's only May now.

I would simply write back to them stating that they had not mentioned the fee prior to the renewal taking place and therefore you entered into contract with them on that basis and that your contract in law is based solely on the terms set out in the tenancy agreement plus the offer email/letter. Had a fee been mentioned prior you may have come to a different determination as to whether to renew, but in any event their failure to disclose it prior to entering into contract with you means that you will not be paying it.

They are not entitled to deduct fees from your rental payment unless the tenancy agreement specifically states it, also might be worth checking a renewal fee isn't mentioned in there before writing back to them.

All agents are rushing at the moment to try to renew with tenants early before the 1st of June to get their fees for doing by proportion to what is charged nothing.
      COMPLETING AN N180 DIRECTIONS QUESTIONNAIRE (SMALL CLAIMS TRACK) GUIDE

My posts here are based on my experience of a variety of life events. I have no formal legal training & if in doubt take professional legal advice or contact CAB. If you follow anything I write here you do so at your own risk & I accept no liability for any loss, costs or other outcomes.

Private messages are disabled as help is only offered publicly. I do not come on here in the evening, at weekends or on public holidays.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
      Working...
      X