• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Default judgement - has somebody made a mistake?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If the hearing fee isn't paid it should be struck out automatically. You don't have a hearing fee to pay as you already have a judgment in default. That would work out best really as then you can just go to enforce your £3k default judgment with least hassle ( until/unless he tries set aside/relief from sanctions(the strike)) Your solicitor should be on top of this though and really it's waiting to see re the hearing fee. Give court a call a couple days after it was due to be paid and ask them though, might encourage a strike quicker than just waiting for it to reach the top of the backlog.

Re the rest... less care is taken by the courts in dealing with small claims cases pre hearing than you'd hope/think/want.
    #staysafestayhome

Any support I provide is offered without liability, if you are unsure please seek professional legal guidance.

Received a Court Claim? Read >>>>> First Steps

Comment

Originally posted by jaguarsuk View Post
      When enforcing you want to transfer it to the high court for enforcement, which will cost you £66. If you know his real address you can give it to the high court enforcement officers and they will attend there to recover the debt. Judgement doesn't have to be enforced at the address written on the judgement, although turning up at their house threatening ti seize goods to the value of £3K might make him be forth coming to the HCEO about his real address or pay up to avoid distress/grief to his parents.
      Thanks. The solicitor found his current address a few months back, but when I searched it recently I saw that it was let again recently, so I presume he has moved. Hopefully my solicitor can find him again. He has also set up a limited company now, but was a sole trader previously.

I thought I read something a while back, which said that if the address you had given to the court was sufficiently far back in your residential history, the CCJ may not appear on your credit file. Is that correct?

Originally posted by Amethyst View Post
      If the hearing fee isn't paid it should be struck out automatically. You don't have a hearing fee to pay as you already have a judgment in default. That would work out best really as then you can just go to enforce your £3k default judgment with least hassle ( until/unless he tries set aside/relief from sanctions(the strike)) Your solicitor should be on top of this though and really it's waiting to see re the hearing fee. Give court a call a couple days after it was due to be paid and ask them though, might encourage a strike quicker than just waiting for it to reach the top of the backlog.

Re the rest... less care is taken by the courts in dealing with small claims cases pre hearing than you'd hope/think/want.
      Thank you. I will do as you advise. I suppose if he hasn't paid it by the due date, it shows that he very likely is not intending to pay it at all, even if the court would probably give him a bit more time.

Comment

Originally posted by Ryan Bristol View Post
        I thought I read something a while back, which said that if the address you had given to the court was sufficiently far back in your residential history, the CCJ may not appear on your credit file. Is that correct?
        No matter how many times you move between the date of the judgement and six years after the date of it, the judgement should still appear on a credit file. After 6 years whether you have moved or not it will fall off the file.
        COMPLETING AN N180 DIRECTIONS QUESTIONNAIRE (SMALL CLAIMS TRACK) GUIDE

My posts here are based on my experience of a variety of life events. I have no formal legal training & if in doubt take professional legal advice or contact CAB. If you follow anything I write here you do so at your own risk & I accept no liability for any loss, costs or other outcomes.

Private messages are disabled as help is only offered publicly. I do not come on here in the evening, at weekends or on public holidays.

Comment

Originally posted by jaguarsuk View Post

No matter how many times you move between the date of the judgement and six years after the date of it, the judgement should still appear on a credit file. After 6 years whether you have moved or not it will fall off the file.
          Thanks. What I thought I read was that if, for example, he last lived at his parent's address in 2012, but gave that address to the court, the CCJ might not find it's way onto his credit file.

If I do have problems with his address, I think it might be fairly easy, due to the nature of his work, to effect service of an order for questioning.

Might that be appropriate?

Comment

Originally posted by Ryan Bristol View Post
            Thanks. What I thought I read was that if, for example, he last lived at his parent's address in 2012, but gave that address to the court, the CCJ might not find it's way onto his credit file.

If I do have problems with his address, I think it might be fairly easy, due to the nature of his work, to effect service of an order for questioning.

Might that be appropriate?
            I wouldn't bother, I'd find our where he lives if possible and if not send the HCEO's to his parents as the address he's given. It's up to his parents to either pay up or get him to sort it out.
            COMPLETING AN N180 DIRECTIONS QUESTIONNAIRE (SMALL CLAIMS TRACK) GUIDE

My posts here are based on my experience of a variety of life events. I have no formal legal training & if in doubt take professional legal advice or contact CAB. If you follow anything I write here you do so at your own risk & I accept no liability for any loss, costs or other outcomes.

Private messages are disabled as help is only offered publicly. I do not come on here in the evening, at weekends or on public holidays.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
            Working...
            X