• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Really worried - pulled out of car purchase & dealer threatening legal action

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Really worried - pulled out of car purchase & dealer threatening legal action

I did speak to Consumerline who informed me that when I signed the Vehicle Order Form I entered into a legal binding contract which I then breached when I failed to go ahead with the purchase. I asked for their guidance in dealing with the matter. They said that they couldn't offer any further guidance.
    Last edited by dolly1939; 21st July 2013, 08:47:AM. Reason: spelling error

Comment

Re: Really worried - pulled out of car purchase & dealer threatening legal action

Originally posted by dolly1939 View Post
      I did speak to Consumerline who informed me that when I signed the Vehicle Order Form I entered into a legal binding contract which I then breached when I failed to go ahead with the purchase. I asked for their guidance in dealing with the matter. They said that they couldn't offer any further guidance.
      If you're in Northern Ireland. trading standards law there may have differences with similar law in England and Wales. In some areas, the way in which Consumer Protection Departments behave leads to them being called Business or Trader Protection Departments. See if you can get a free half-hour consultation with a legal professional.
      Life is a journey on which we all travel, sometimes together, but never alone.

Comment

xxxx
        Last edited by dolly1939; 22nd July 2013, 22:27:PM.

Comment

The Trading Standards Service in Northern Ireland are also Consumerline who I consulted. I did have a brief telephone conversation with my solicitor on Friday afternoon who advised me to send dealer a letter outlying my version of events. The draft letter I've constructed is contained in one of my previous posts. I'm planning to email Solicitor draft of letter which I plan to send. I thought Consumerline/Trading Standards Service would have been more helpful.
          Like I said in my last post, some TS are more Business and Trader Protection than Consumer Protection. The legal professional is probably your best course in this matter.

Comment

If the jalopy is still available, send a friend to look at it and then get it inspected by a chap from the RAC.

With any luck, it will be so unroadworthy that you'll be able to challenge their case and claim back the £100,

Comment

Doubt if there would be any faults with vehicle to claim it's unroadworthy. It's 12 months old with 14k miles on the clock. I'm not interested in trying to get £100 deposit back. I just want car dealer to leave the matter. I think they are so sore about losing a sale. The dealer I ended up buying from said that they end up with a lot of the previous dealer's customers and thought that they were just trying to scare me.

Comment

CC You advise spending 150 quid on the RAC if the car is ok 150 quid down the pan?

Comment

Originally posted by wales01man View Post
                  CC You advise spending 150 quid on the RAC if the car is ok 150 quid down the pan?
                  I had no idea that it would cost £150 - the last time I had this sort of problem was in 1984.

Comment

Originally posted by CleverClogs View Post
                    I had no idea that it would cost £150 - the last time I had this sort of problem was in 1984.
                    :clap2::clap2::clap2::clap2::clap2::bounce::bounce ::bounce::bounce:

Not funny! pmsl

Comment

It's 12 months old with 14k miles on the clock.
                      What's the genuine mileage?

Comment

My car is 18 months old with only 14,764 on the clock

Comment

Doubt if there would be any faults with vehicle to claim it's unroadworthy. It's 12 months old with 14k miles on the clock. I'm not interested in trying to get £100 deposit back. I just want car dealer to leave the matter. I think they are so sore about losing a sale. The dealer I ended up buying from said that they end up with a lot of the previous dealer's customers and thought that they were just trying to scare me.
                          It sounds to me that the dealer you are having problems with is a rogue trader. See if BBC TV's Watchdog programme would be interested.

Comment

They referred to a clause in the contract stating `If the Purchaser shall fail to take and pay for the goods within 14 days of notification and the goods have been completed for delivery, the seller shall be at liberty to treat the contract as repudiated by the Purchaser and thereupon the deposit shall be forfeited without prejudice at the Sellers right to recover from the Purchaser by way of damages or loss or expense which the Seller may suffer or incur by reason of the purchasers default'. Letter goes on to state that if the vehicle is not collected within 14 days of this letter, it is XXXXXXXXXXX intention to issue proceedings to recover damages for loss of profit, in addition to any holding and disposal charges XXXXXXXXXXXX may incur due to your default. In addition you will be help responsible for any legal fees incurred by XXXXXXXXXXX in bringing this matter to conclusion.
                            So, you've forfeited the deposit.

Let's assume the dealer takes you to court. He will have to prove:

Damages for loss of profit (what profit has been lost if the car has been resold - the dealer would have to disclose the profit being made from you and the profit for which it has now been sold)

Holding and disposal charges (If your vehicle had been sold, he would have replaced it with another on the forecourt presumably, so would still have incurred the same holding charges; as for disposal charges - if he's sold it again, then there were none)

It is possible you might get a small amount awarded against you - it's impossible to say, but equally you have arguments re harassment which you could take to court.

It would be MUCH simpler, if the vehicle has genuinely been resold now, to sit down and try to reach an 'amicable settlement' without the need for anyone to go to court.

Comment

Originally posted by labman View Post
                              So, you've forfeited the deposit.

Let's assume the dealer takes you to court. He will have to prove:

Damages for loss of profit (what profit has been lost if the car has been resold - the dealer would have to disclose the profit being made from you and the profit for which it has now been sold)

Holding and disposal charges (If your vehicle had been sold, he would have replaced it with another on the forecourt presumably, so would still have incurred the same holding charges; as for disposal charges - if he's sold it again, then there were none)

It is possible you might get a small amount awarded against you - it's impossible to say, but equally you have arguments re harassment which you could take to court.

It would be MUCH simpler, if the vehicle has genuinely been resold now, to sit down and try to reach an 'amicable settlement' without the need for anyone to go to court.
                              But what if, the vehicle hasnt been resold, and its still there waiting collection.

What if the trader sought an order of specific performance??

No one has mentioned SP
                              I work for Roach Pittis Solicitors. I give my free time available to helping other on the forum and would be happy to try and assist informally where needed. Any posts I make on LegalBeagles are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as legal advice. Any advice I provide is without liability.

If you need to contact me please email me on Pt@roachpittis.co.uk .

I have been involved in leading consumer credit and data protection cases including Harrison v Link Financial Limited (High Court), Grace v Blackhorse (Court of Appeal) and also Kotecha v Phoenix Recoveries (Court of Appeal) along with a number of other reported cases and often blog about all things consumer law orientated.

You can also follow my blog on consumer credit here.

Comment

Originally posted by pt2537 View Post
                                But what if, the vehicle hasnt been resold, and its still there waiting collection.

What if the trader sought an order of specific performance??

No one has mentioned SP
                                Hi pt2537

Could this not be a double-edged sword?; the OP demanding SP for the original price?

There seems to be an offer, acceptance of same, & consideration for value, via an authorised bod, the acceptance of which is evidenced by the 'show of good faith' £200.

& OP accepted before the dealer withdrew the offer (I'm sure I've got some case law re this in my *ahem* filing system).
                                Last edited by charitynjw; 22nd July 2013, 07:51:AM.
                                CAVEAT LECTOR

This is only my opinion - "Opinions are made to be changed --or how is truth to be got at?" (Byron)

You and I do not see things as they are. We see things as we are.
                                Cohen, Herb

There is danger when a man throws his tongue into high gear before he
                                gets his brain a-going.
                                Phelps, C. C.

"They couldn't hit an elephant at this distance!"
                                The last words of John Sedgwick

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                                Working...
                                X