• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Can I do something against Hospital?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can I do something against Hospital?

Hi Everyone,

I had a bad experience with the West Middlesex Hospital in London.
    I was injured at my work on 10 of July 2011.The injury was to my left knee.I went to my GP first time in September, when the pain was intensified and I can't walk.Between July and September 2011 I try use some pain killer on my own.My GP advice me to use some pain killer for 2 weeks,after that I called him again and he advice me over the phone for more pain killer???On the 7.10.2011 I went to my GP second time.
    My GP hear my story again and decided to send me urgently to Musculoskeletal Clinic at West Middlesex Hospital.I went there at the same day,I get advice to go to Department of Accident and Emergency.I went there at the same day and I was examined by locum Physio Therapist.She give me advice of exercises and ice?
    I come back to my GP a week latter for professional advice what to do next ,as I can't stretch my knee at all.At the meantime I can't walk and I stop working.
    Few weeks later I get appointment to do X-ray.After another few weeks I back to GP to ask him why I did not been seen for any professional physio after the X-ray was made.My GP give me some phone number to arrange some appointment with Physio Department on my own.Finally I book appointment on 20 of March 2012!!!I went to see the head of physiotherapist but he wasn't prepare at all.He hasn't got my X-ray or any of my medical history.He examined my knee and explain me, so he would like see my X-ray first and my medical history and then he will call me back at the end of the same week (which was Friday 23.03.12). Since then,I didn't received any calls form him or the department and I wasn't treated at all.
    After another few weeks I made I few phone calls to the Referral Facilitation Service to find out if I will get any appointment soon and I have been told they couldn't find me because I'm not in their system.At the meantime I decide to get treatment in my origin country(privately). I'm much better now and the problem with my knee was really serious.
    On 28 June 2012 I sent a letter to Complaints Team and I get respond from them that Physiotherapy Service will do investigation I will get direct respond from them.The Patient Experience and Involvement Manager at the local authority received the same letter as me on 6 July 2012.Since February 2013 I didn't get any respond from them (Physiotherapist Department,Complains Team or The Patience Experience and Involvement Manager).
    On February 2013 I sent second letter to the Complaints Team at West Middlesex Hospital and they contact with The PEandI Manager.He appoint me for a meeting with the Physiotherapist Manager.I told them my experience and all the story and they say...sorry.
    Could you give me some advice what to do next?I would like refer this matter to the court but I don't know how to do the first step.Could anyone help,please?
    Best Regards
    Tags: None

Re: Can I do something against Hospital?

Originally posted by robinson74 View Post
    Hi Everyone,

I had a bad experience with the West Middlesex Hospital in London.
    I was injured at my work on 10 of July 2011.The injury was to my left knee.I went to my GP first time in September, when the pain was intensified and I can't walk.Between July and September 2011 I try use some pain killer on my own.My GP advice me to use some pain killer for 2 weeks,after that I called him again and he advice me over the phone for more pain killer???On the 7.10.2011 I went to my GP second time.
    My GP hear my story again and decided to send me urgently to Musculoskeletal Clinic at West Middlesex Hospital.I went there at the same day,I get advice to go to Department of Accident and Emergency.I went there at the same day and I was examined by locum Physio Therapist.She give me advice of exercises and ice?
    I come back to my GP a week latter for professional advice what to do next ,as I can't stretch my knee at all.At the meantime I can't walk and I stop working.
    Few weeks later I get appointment to do X-ray.After another few weeks I back to GP to ask him why I did not been seen for any professional physio after the X-ray was made.My GP give me some phone number to arrange some appointment with Physio Department on my own.Finally I book appointment on 20 of March 2012!!!I went to see the head of physiotherapist but he wasn't prepare at all.He hasn't got my X-ray or any of my medical history.He examined my knee and explain me, so he would like see my X-ray first and my medical history and then he will call me back at the end of the same week (which was Friday 23.03.12). Since then,I didn't received any calls form him or the department and I wasn't treated at all.
    After another few weeks I made I few phone calls to the Referral Facilitation Service to find out if I will get any appointment soon and I have been told they couldn't find me because I'm not in their system.At the meantime I decide to get treatment in my origin country(privately). I'm much better now and the problem with my knee was really serious.
    On 28 June 2012 I sent a letter to Complaints Team and I get respond from them that Physiotherapy Service will do investigation I will get direct respond from them.The Patient Experience and Involvement Manager at the local authority received the same letter as me on 6 July 2012.Since February 2013 I didn't get any respond from them (Physiotherapist Department,Complains Team or The Patience Experience and Involvement Manager).
    On February 2013 I sent second letter to the Complaints Team at West Middlesex Hospital and they contact with The PEandI Manager.He appoint me for a meeting with the Physiotherapist Manager.I told them my experience and all the story and they say...sorry.
    Could you give me some advice what to do next?I would like refer this matter to the court but I don't know how to do the first step.Could anyone help,please?
    Best Regards
    This is a very difficult thing for me to advise on for a number of reasons. 1) Any advice suggesting suing the NHS in this time when they are having to deal with austerity measures is one that I, as a taxpayer would hate doing.
    2) is probably the nitty gritty of the issue, What are YOU looking to get from the complaints procedure?

You have said that you went privately and the suggestion is overseas. Did they follow the same procedure(albeit better) ie x rays and then treatment? Was there a cost to the treatment? Have you got the receipts?
    What was the damage in monetary terms that the poor treatment that you received cause?

Please remember, I have point 1 in mind but at the same time I need to understand what you want to get out of the process prior to asking more questions and giving advice.
    "Family means that no one gets forgotten or left behind"
    (quote from David Ogden Stiers)

Comment

To be honest, one could simply say...Welcome to the NHS!! Creaking and groaning at the seams.

The only advice I would say if you think you have case, is speak to a medical negligence solicitor.

By own thoughts are that unless the creaking, groaning NHS caused you permanent injury and serious consequences, by the delays and inefficiency, you may just have to 'put it down to experience'.
      "Although scalar fields are Lorentz scalars, they may transform nontrivially under other symmetries, such as flavour or isospin. For example, the pion is invariant under the restricted Lorentz group, but is an isospin triplet (meaning it transforms like a three component vector under the SU(2) isospin symmetry). Furthermore, it picks up a negative phase under parity inversion, so it transforms nontrivially under the full Lorentz group; such particles are called pseudoscalar rather than scalar. Most mesons are pseudoscalar particles." (finally explained to a captivated Celestine by Professor Brian Cox on Wednesday 27th June 2012 )

I am proud to have co-founded LegalBeagles in 2007

If we have helped you we'd appreciate it if you can leave a review on our Trust Pilot page

If you wish to book an appointment with me to discuss your credit agreement, please email kate@legalbeaglesgroup. com

Comment

I come back to my GP a week latter for professional advice what to do next ,as I can't stretch my knee at all.At the meantime I can't walk and I stop working. . . . .

. . . . . Could you give me some advice what to do next?I would like refer this matter to the court
        Did you suffer any loss of income as a direct result of the delay in your treatment?

Did you qualify for SSP (statutory sick pay) https://www.gov.uk/statutory-sick-pay/overview or if you were self-employed were you entitled to ESA (employment and support allowance) https://www.gov.uk/employment-suppor...ce/eligibility because you couldn't work? I don't think you can claim either of these benefits in retrospect. They are means tested so you would need to have paid the relevant National Insurance contributions. I note you refer to returning to your "country of origin" so maybe there was a problem with benefit entitlement at the time.

If you want to take this to court you'd have to prove that the NHS' professional negligence caused you a financial loss not simply an annoying delay with appointments.

Comment

Another Question is what is your country of origin? Depending on your answer you may find you may not be eligible for free NHS treatment and it would explain why they didn't have any records for you.
          Please note that this advice is given informally, without liability and without prejudice. Always seek the advice of an insured qualified professional. All my legal and nonlegal knowledge comes from either here (LB),my own personal research and experience and/or as the result of necessity as an Employer and Businessman.

By using my advice in any form, you agreed to waive all rights to hold myself or any persons representing myself of any liability.

If you PM me, make sure to include a link to your thread as I don't give out advice in private. All PMs that are sent in missuse (including but not limited to phishing, spam) of the PM application and/or PMs that are threatening or abusive will be reported to the Site Team and if necessary to the police and/or relevant Authority.

I AM SO GOING TO GET BANNED BY CEL FOR POSTING terrible humour POSTS.

The Governess; 6th March 2012 GRRRRRR

Comment

Hi
            Thanks for reply.
            Yes,I get X-ray and treatment overseas.I've got all the receipts and the costs.My problem is I never received any treatment apart the one in A&E department(ice and exercises). I don't know what was the problem in the hospital but my GP suspect damage medial meniscus.The doctor abroad confirm that plus knee ligament damage,patellar ligament damage,damage to the articular cartilage and something else which can't remember now.I will need to check the history.
            That was multiple injury and wasn't any minor problem.
            I would like know why I wasn't treated at the hospital?Once I get reasonable answer I try to get compensation for the cost which I spent abroad.
            I would like get professional advice what to do next.
            Best Regards

Comment

Hi thanks for your reply.
              I'm in UK for the last 12 years.I'm full employee and I'm paying my taxes.

Comment

Hi
                Thanks for your reply.
                No,I didn't ask for any benefit.Yes,I was out of work for around 7 weeks and after that I wasn't work for full time.

Comment

Hi
                  Thanks for your reply.
                  No,I didn't ask for any benefit.Yes,I was out of work for around 7 weeks and after that I wasn't work for full time.
                  Hi

We really do need to know what your country of origin was or what your status is here in the UK, are you here on Work Visa, Resident Visa or are you a registered as having British citizenship as well as citizenship in your home country. If you can not tell us your home country, then tell us if its in the EU or outside of the EU or a commonwealth country like Australia.

Reason i ask is because depending on your status here and what your home nation is or whether its inside the EU or not not from a commonwealth country (not all commonwealth countries are eligible i believe), will decide whether you were entitled to Free NHS. Paying taxes doesn't mean your automatically entitled to Free NHS service. If your not eligible for Free NHS treatment, then you won't be eligible to sue them either. So if your intending to do so its vital we have some clarification on the above points about your nationality and actual status here in the UK.
                  Please note that this advice is given informally, without liability and without prejudice. Always seek the advice of an insured qualified professional. All my legal and nonlegal knowledge comes from either here (LB),my own personal research and experience and/or as the result of necessity as an Employer and Businessman.

By using my advice in any form, you agreed to waive all rights to hold myself or any persons representing myself of any liability.

If you PM me, make sure to include a link to your thread as I don't give out advice in private. All PMs that are sent in missuse (including but not limited to phishing, spam) of the PM application and/or PMs that are threatening or abusive will be reported to the Site Team and if necessary to the police and/or relevant Authority.

Comment

Hi
                    The doctor abroad confirm that plus knee ligament damage,patellar ligament damage,damage to the articular cartilage and something else which can't remember now.I will need to check the history..
                    With the best will in the world, it is highly unlikely that any British court is simply going to accept the uncorroborated word of a foreign doctor in a foreign country without some kind of confirmed evidence of the diagnosis. Just because someone - in the UK or not - says you have something particular wrong with you, or treats you for something, does not mean you have it or that you required that treatment. You are going to need a lot more than that, and the first thing you will need is a lawyer - medical negligence claims are not starightforward or easy.

Comment

Thanks for your post and advice.
                      Best
                      robert

Comment

OK.thanks for that.However,I don't need any words from my overseas doctor or any medical history from them.
                        I do not received treatment here,that's fact!

Comment

OK.thanks for that.However,I don't need any words from my overseas doctor or any medical history from them.
                          I do not received treatment here,that's fact!
                          True but you would have to prove what treatment you received abroad and what it was for, and that the NHS refused you treatment and that you were eligible for NHS treatment in order to sue the NHS.

Comment

Hi
                            I'm Polish and I running my own business for 10 years here. Even if I'm not entitled to free NHS someone from the hospital or GP should tell me that.Then I will look for some help somewhere else.
                            Thank you.
                            Robert

Comment

Hi
                              I'm Polish and I running my own business for 10 years here. Even if I'm not entitled to free NHS someone from the hospital or GP should tell me that.Then I will look for some help somewhere else.
                              Thank you.
                              Robert
                              Did the hospital want to do an X ray or did they carry out an X ray?

EDIT: I would add that I suspected Polish but won't state why on the forum
                              "Family means that no one gets forgotten or left behind"
                              (quote from David Ogden Stiers)

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                              Working...
                              X