• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

When is midnight?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by atticus View Post
    And here is a definition, found by searching online for "midnight definition" : https://www.lawinsider.com/dictionary/midnight

"midnight means the last moment of a given day occurring before commencement of the next day. For example, a date of ‘Midnight on December 31, 2016’ would mean the last moment occurring after 11:59:59pm on December 31, 2016 before the date becomes January 1, 2017."
    yeah, trust me i've already hit google...

Comment

Originally posted by islandgirl View Post
      Why not just pay by midnight tonight to be on the safe side?
      I will repeat.....You are completely missing the point.

I am perfectly capable of paying it whenever....but that matters not.

I thought my question was simple enough? I will rewrite it for you....If today is Wednesday, when is 'midnight tomorrow'?

Comment

Originally posted by des8 View Post
        I think this is being taken a bit too seriously.
        OP has already suggested it is an academic question for him, and I found it fun to look for an answer.
        It is a bit like medieval philosophers asking how many angels can dance on the point of a pin,
        Thank you.

I do have a genuine motive in asking this so it's not strictly academic.

The answer either way doesn't matter to me personally...other than it may lead to the cancellation of several hundred
        tickets.
        Last edited by LLLLLLLLLLLL; 6th April 2022, 09:22:AM.

Comment

So the answer lies in the SC ruling referenced in post 13

Comment

Lol....and how do you interpret 'midnight tomorrow' in light of your post #13??

I ask as i can't make sense of it...

Its simples....Today is Wednesday, sign says 'Pay by midnight tomorrow' when is 'midnight tomorrow'?
            Last edited by LLLLLLLLLLLL; 6th April 2022, 11:15:AM.

Comment

midnight 12o!clock PM 00.01 is a.m. or is it "Zulu" time??? what a waste of thread and real time posters time.

Comment

Originally posted by MIKE770 View Post
                midnight 12o!clock PM 00.01 is a.m. or is it "Zulu" time??? what a waste of thread and real time posters time.
                I'm sorry you fail to see the legal importance in establishing when 'midnight' is. The point of this group is to ask questions, that's all I've done. If you don't like the thread [and bizarrely have wasted more of your precious time typing your comment than you did reading the thread] then feel free to jog on by.

I'd wager that others may disagree with you...and hey that's t'internet for you!!

Comment

So post 4 by atticus explains that if today is Wednesday and payment is due by midnight tomorrow, then payment is due by Thursday midnight meaning you have the 24 hours of Thursday in which to pay.i.e. midnight is the end of the day

The SC decision actually clarifies certain older court decisions on this point.
                  The case revolved round whether or not the expiry of the limitation period was at midnight at the end of a Thursday or whether the following Friday counted in the calculation of the limitation period. The judges decided the Friday did not count, so midnight is the end of the named day.

In debating such questions do lawyers make their living

Comment

I've reread it and in that context its the start of a particular day.

lol...just seen you post and i got it completely wrong!!!

Comment

Originally posted by LLLLLLLLLLLL View Post

Lol....and how do you interpret 'midnight tomorrow' in light of your post #13??

I ask as i can't make sense of it...

Its simples....Today is Wednesday, sign says 'Pay by midnight tomorrow' when is 'midnight tomorrow'?
                      at the end of 'tomorrow'.
                      Lawyer (solicitor) - retired from practice, now supervising solicitor in a university law clinic. I do not advise by private message.

Litigants in Person should download and read this: https://www.judiciary.uk/wp-content/..._in_Person.pdf

Comment

The question in that case was when the limiation period expires, if the cause of actionarises at midnight at the end of a particular day: see paragraphs 1 and 2 of the judgment. Beyond that, 'midnight' plays no part in the decision.
                        Lawyer (solicitor) - retired from practice, now supervising solicitor in a university law clinic. I do not advise by private message.

Litigants in Person should download and read this: https://www.judiciary.uk/wp-content/..._in_Person.pdf

Comment

May I just point out that this forum primarily exists to help people with real legal problems that could cause them great hardship. Much as we all enjoy an occasional legal debate, the tone of the OP is skirting very close to annoying me and being hostile to people trying their best to help. The OP states they have a genuine reason to be pestering us, we are not a case law library (try subscribing to LexisNexis?) so perhaps context is required, but I dislike LB being demanded to produce specific case law when the tone of the demand is hostile. Volunteers, you do a great job, please move on to more worthwhile threads.
                          "Although scalar fields are Lorentz scalars, they may transform nontrivially under other symmetries, such as flavour or isospin. For example, the pion is invariant under the restricted Lorentz group, but is an isospin triplet (meaning it transforms like a three component vector under the SU(2) isospin symmetry). Furthermore, it picks up a negative phase under parity inversion, so it transforms nontrivially under the full Lorentz group; such particles are called pseudoscalar rather than scalar. Most mesons are pseudoscalar particles." (finally explained to a captivated Celestine by Professor Brian Cox on Wednesday 27th June 2012 )

I am proud to have co-founded LegalBeagles in 2007

If we have helped you we'd appreciate it if you can leave a review on our Trust Pilot page

If you wish to book an appointment with me to discuss your credit agreement, please email kate@legalbeaglesgroup. com

Comment

Well said Celestine.

Comment

Originally posted by LLLLLLLLLLLL View Post

Tomorrow is the next day - so Thursday - before midnight is anytime up to and including 23:59 hrs.

So payment required before 23:59 hrs the next day (Thursday).

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                              Working...
                              X