• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

What can you legally tell a journalist?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What can you legally tell a journalist?

Scotland. I want to report the full details of a serious domestic violence incident about what can only be described as a violent animal of a man to a local newspaper and journalist! He violently beat his partner infront of 2 kids under 5 and also attacked their family pet. He has been arrested thankfully and his bail conditions are to not go near the family. I want to give the journalist their social media details. Background details of previous domestic violence convictions, their address, personal details of his workplace etc. The victim is safe and not at his address. He has been arrested but will likely get out on bail until trial. I think its within the public interest that every woman in the UK know about this man. However, as a female myself I want to protect myself and my family. Can I anonymously send every detail to the journalist? And legally can I be implicated for doing so?

What can and can't I legally share? If I do it anonymously how do they report that? Everything I say can be backed up by previous convictions and court dates.
    Tags: None

You may wish to consider the laws of defamation.
    Lawyer (solicitor) - retired from practice, now supervising solicitor in a university law clinic. I do not advise by private message.

Litigants in Person should download and read this: https://www.judiciary.uk/wp-content/..._in_Person.pdf

Comment

Atticus, does that stand even if the abuser is about go through trial under crown prosecution?

Comment

Yes. But surely whether to print your anonymous letter will be an editorial decision for the newspaper.

Why don't you speak to the publication that you have in mind to see whether it would be interested in your information?
        Lawyer (solicitor) - retired from practice, now supervising solicitor in a university law clinic. I do not advise by private message.

Litigants in Person should download and read this: https://www.judiciary.uk/wp-content/..._in_Person.pdf

Comment

They are very interested.

Comment

In answer to your title, the truth.

There is a Statutory Defence of Truth to a claim pursuant to the Defamation Act 2013.

However, you state that the individual is currently being prosecuted in the court, so the Newspaper will not be able to run the story until the trial is over or else they might prejudice the trial.

In reality the story probably won't hold any capital for the editor until the outcome of the trial as they wouldn't want to look like a gossip mag.
            COMPLETING AN N180 DIRECTIONS QUESTIONNAIRE (SMALL CLAIMS TRACK) GUIDE

My posts here are based on my experience of a variety of life events. I have no formal legal training & if in doubt take professional legal advice or contact CAB. If you follow anything I write here you do so at your own risk & I accept no liability for any loss, costs or other outcomes.

Private messages are disabled as help is only offered publicly. I do not come on here in the evening, at weekends or on public holidays.

Comment

Thanks for this. They are a gossipy newspaper so I have a feeling they will enjoy publishing this and to be honest the public need to be made aware of this animal.

Comment

Ok, broo

Comment

????

Comment

Personally stay out of this mess, you could jeopardise the trail, he gets off how would feel ?. Let the Police and the Court deal with it.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                    Working...
                    X