• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Landlord did not return deposit

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Landlord did not return deposit

Hello
    I am concerned that my landlord is not wanting to return the room rent deposit. Here is what happened.
    Upon moving in in April, I transfered the deposit and the amount for the first month and since then, I would pay by bank transfer every month.
    Now, after having moved out, I had given the landlord my bank details by text and expected the refund soon after, however, the money has not reached my account and the person is not answering my texts.

This issue comes as a complete shock because the couple expressed their satisfaction, offered references and asked for bank details.

What shall I do? They know of my plans to move to a different part of England, which may in their opinion increase their chance to get away with dishonesty.

Would it make sense to pay them an unexpected visit (now a different town) or to try to speak with the man's employer?

Advice on what to do would be much appreciated.

Thank you.
    Tags: None

You certainly shouldn't speak to their employer, it's nothing to do with them and visiting their home might be viewed as harassment.

If you know their address I would suggest a letter before action detailing you have tried to be reasonable and messaged them a number of times, but if they do not return the deposit you will be forced to issue a claim. If they don't pay you may well have to issue a county court claim against them.

In the letter I would advise them that if successful in a claim they would have a CCJ on their credit file for six years, if they still refused to pay it is your intention to instruct bailiffs to recover any judgement, that if they need debt advice the should contact the CAB and if they intend to ignore the letter they ought to seek legal advice.
    COMPLETING AN N180 DIRECTIONS QUESTIONNAIRE (SMALL CLAIMS TRACK) GUIDE

My posts here are based on my experience of a variety of life events. I have no formal legal training & if in doubt take professional legal advice or contact CAB. If you follow anything I write here you do so at your own risk & I accept no liability for any loss, costs or other outcomes.

Private messages are disabled as help is only offered publicly. I do not come on here in the evening, at weekends or on public holidays.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
    Working...
    X