• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Help with chasing debt

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help with chasing debt

Hi

I have a joint ccj against 2 very slippery defendants, 1 is an ex tenant, other is the guarantor. They are very clever in dodging debts....in fact one owns his own debt collection business. They are very public on social media. The tenant I believe continues to rent, and the guarantor rents too. Guarantor does have his own property but craftily put it in his partners name and his son now lives in that house.

Both have assets, cars etc....though whether these are hired I don’t know.

I tried getting the hceo involved giving them 3 addresses, and they forgot to attend to 2 of these(!). They have been in short, hopeless, so they have offered me a refund.

So I am not sure where I go from here. My solicitor says another hceo is the only option.

Has anyone been in a similar situation and what did you do? Anyone know of a good hceo, who will chase hard?

Thanks for any help!
    Tags: None

Originally posted by missmooch View Post
    Hi

I have a joint ccj against 2 very slippery defendants, 1 is an ex tenant, other is the guarantor. They are very clever in dodging debts....in fact one owns his own debt collection business. They are very public on social media. The tenant I believe continues to rent, and the guarantor rents too. Guarantor does have his own property but craftily put it in his partners name and his son now lives in that house.

Both have assets, cars etc....though whether these are hired I don’t know.

I tried getting the hceo involved giving them 3 addresses, and they forgot to attend to 2 of these(!). They have been in short, hopeless, so they have offered me a refund.

So I am not sure where I go from here. My solicitor says another hceo is the only option.

Has anyone been in a similar situation and what did you do? Anyone know of a good hceo, who will chase hard?

Thanks for any help!
    Are they employed or self employed? If self to Ltd Company or Sole Trader?
    COMPLETING AN N180 DIRECTIONS QUESTIONNAIRE (SMALL CLAIMS TRACK) GUIDE

My posts here are based on my experience of a variety of life events. I have no formal legal training & if in doubt take professional legal advice or contact CAB. If you follow anything I write here you do so at your own risk & I accept no liability for any loss, costs or other outcomes.

Private messages are disabled as help is only offered publicly. I do not come on here in the evening, at weekends or on public holidays.

Comment

Thnks for your reply Jaguarsuk - 1 runs a ltd co, the other is paye employed as well as being self employed

Comment

The one running the Ltd must be on it's payroll, therefore along with the other on PAYE is liable to an Attachment of Earnings order surely?

Did the solicitor say why this was not an option and only a Writ of Control was an option?

Also, are the properties in their name or the name of the company?

My posts here are based on my experience of a variety of life events. I have no formal legal training & if in doubt take professional legal advice or contact CAB. If you follow anything I write here you do so at your own risk & I accept no liability for any loss, costs or other outcomes.

Private messages are disabled as help is only offered publicly. I do not come on here in the evening, at weekends or on public holidays.

Comment

Solicitor didnt say.Think PAYE job is only part time, and with the ltd company, would he be paid directors emoluments - and are these still liable under attachement of earnings?

Ex tenant doesnt have a property. Guarantors property in partners name.

Comment

It seems a High Court Writ is the only solution then.

Comment

Given that you have some address details for each of the defendants, do you know where they actually reside?

I suspect your solicitor might have suggested that going down the HCEO route might be the only option as it is generally the cheapest unless you have sufficient information to pursue other methods of enforcement.

There is, however, an alternative option to the HCEO method and that is to order the defendants to court for further questioning. Under CPR 71, you are entitled to make an application to the court for an order that they attend to answer some questions about their current status. Why would you want to do this over going down the HCEO route? Well, here's a few reasons:

1. It only costs you £55 for the application (not sure if you can put two defendants on one application but worst case its £110).

2. Attendance is a must and failing to do so is contempt of court. A court could then issue a bench warrant for that person's arrest if repeatedly fail to turn up.

3. Any questions asked will be done under oath and is usually asked by an officer or the court though in some respects it is possible a judge would ask those questions.

By going down this route, you could get the information you need and then work out what your options are. That said, you would probably have to move pretty quickly but if the defendants have a job, the questioning should filter out their employer's name and address so you could look at making an attachment of earnings order or some other enforcement method.
              If you have a question about the voluntary termination process, please read this guide first, as it should have all the answers you need. Please do not hijack another person's thread as I will not respond to you
              - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
              LEGAL DISCLAIMER
              Please be aware that this is a public forum and is therefore accessible to anyone. The content I post on this forum is not intended to be legal advice nor does it establish any client-lawyer type relationship between you and me. Therefore any use of my content is at your own risk and I cannot be held responsible in any way. It is always recommended that you seek independent legal advice.

Comment

Thank for your reply Rob - I did ask my solictor about this, as I did consider going down this route, but he says he finds it a waste of time as the defendants never truthfully reveal details about their bank accounts that have any real money in them!

Comment

I agree, defendants can be a bit tricky when giving information about their banks and what money is inside of them which is part of the problem. But if either of them are working and earning a wage, that could be helpful in at least trying to recover some of the money or if there is information about where they reside, that could help with enforcement through a HCEO.

It may be possible, if you know the employer's details, to make a third party application to force the employer to disclose that person's bank details to which the payments are being made. That way you could then look to raid that account (assuming the defendant doesn't become aware and changes details) to recover your money. This route is obviously more expensive than the application for further information or the HCEO but therein lies the problem with difficult and slippery defendants.

Can I ask how much the debt is?
                  If you have a question about the voluntary termination process, please read this guide first, as it should have all the answers you need. Please do not hijack another person's thread as I will not respond to you
                  - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
                  LEGAL DISCLAIMER
                  Please be aware that this is a public forum and is therefore accessible to anyone. The content I post on this forum is not intended to be legal advice nor does it establish any client-lawyer type relationship between you and me. Therefore any use of my content is at your own risk and I cannot be held responsible in any way. It is always recommended that you seek independent legal advice.

Comment

Thanks Rob - yes agree about the attachment of earnings for the earning defendant and didnt realise that the third party order could force the employer to disclose bank details.

The debt is £4,000

Comment

Just to clarify about the third party application, it would fall under an order known as a Norwich Pharmacal Order, and to re-emphasise, I did say may be possible.

The reason I say that is because you would have to show the court that the defendant's, by their conduct, are wilfully evading the enforcement of the judgment. Unless you can show that, an order for disclosure is unlikely to be made.

Unfortunately it is one of these situations where sometimes it might be worth letting it go than throwing good money after bad. The order for information might unravel some things that you are not aware of and in which case could open up further opportunity for enforcement, thats assuming the defendant's are telling the truth and don't move assets around.
                      LEGAL DISCLAIMER

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                      Working...
                      X