• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.
  • If you need direct help with your employment issue you can contact us at admin@legalbeaglesgroup.com for further assistance. This will give you access to “off-forum” support on a one-to- one basis from an experienced employment law expert for which we would welcome that you make a donation to help towards their time spent assisting on your matter. You can do this by clicking on the donate button in the box below.

Potential discrimination?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Potential discrimination?

Went for an interview for a well known employer, on their job spec they did not say if an audio typing test would be required.

I am profoundly deaf and made the employer know of my hearing impairment before going on application form and was selected for an interview. I was required to do this test in my invitation letter.

The appropriate headset was not provided for me to do this job exercise when I arrived and there was panic to get me to do the test as no head set and they had to borrow a colleagues; as my hearing aids cannot go in ear headsets.

As I made them aware of my disability before hand is this discrimination that they did not make adjustments for my interview?
    Tags: None

Re: Potential discrimination?

Hi there mate, I came to the forum here as I am profoundly deaf also and have ran into some problems with my employer.

Im sure one of the proper legal bods will come along and give you some sound advice about your situation.

I did have similar glitch with my employer at start but I still managed to get the job. I was so happy to get it I didnt realise that my employer wasnt actually engaging with ATW to look at reasonable adjustments as I had suggested and basically I was offered literally zero support. This has led to a bitter 6 month battle with my employer regarding discrimination, victimisation, disciplinaries, grievances, appeals, suspensions, occupational health people, and to be honest 8 months into my job and all of the garbage inbetween and my situation is pretty much unchanged and my job is hanging by a thread.

So my word of caution is, dont go on the attack if you get the job, but please do make sure you get Access to Work involved pronto as it will save you a considerable amount of grief if problems start happening due to communication problems.

Hope this helps and good luck

Good Luck

Comment

Thanks Jay - most of the job - e.g. 95 percent of it I can do with four years similar experience, I just hope they do not stop it for that aspect of the job.

Comment

As the employer was aware of your disability before you were selected for an interview, the company has a duty to make reasonable adjustments for you at the interview.
        In your case, if you were required to do an audio typing test then the appropriate headset should have been provided. You would have a discrimination claim for failure to make reasonable adjustments, however as this took place at the point of interview, the claim may be of relatively low value which may make it cost prohibitive to pursue at an Employment Tribunal. If you wish to pursuing a claim, then firms like ours will always provide free initial advice, that way you'll know for certain whether you have a good claim or not.

Best of luck

Comment

Exactly the same job has been re advertised with less hours.

Comment

They have now fed back audio typing and they think I can not type - (I can copy type and touch type - 50 words to 60 words per minute- I have a data entry diploma) was the only reason for not getting it.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.

Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to LegalBeagles

Donate with PayPal button

LegalBeagles is a free forum, founded in May 2007, providing legal guidance and support to consumers and SME's across a range of legal areas.

See more
            See less

Court Claim ?

Guides and Letters

Search and Compare fixed fee legal services and find a solicitor near you.

Find a Law Firm

Working...
            X