• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.
  • If you need direct help with your employment issue you can contact us at admin@legalbeaglesgroup.com for further assistance. This will give you access to “off-forum” support on a one-to- one basis from an experienced employment law expert for which we would welcome that you make a donation to help towards their time spent assisting on your matter. You can do this by clicking on the donate button in the box below.

Got dismissed today. Advice please. .

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Got dismissed today. Advice please. .

I will not pass judgement on what has occurred and do understand why you are looking at reasons to try and rationalise what you did.
    If i were you I would take the dismissal on the chin but do claim the expenses, everything you have said says to me that these expenses would have been paid out probably from petty cash had you filled in the expenses claim.

I have no idea where you live in the country but there is a lot of help out there , some churches work in the community providing counselling and support , your G.P. may be able to provide help but mental health services on the NHS are a bit of a joke and lottery.
    There are charities about that do all sorts of help be it gambling, alcohol or drug addiction and I am not talking about AA or GA.

Are you still receiving treatment or support for your alcoholism ? If so see what they have to say

Bottom line is admitting what happened and identifying the real reason , was it anger (getting back at the company) desperation(lack of money) , the hell of it, the thrill or just because you could get away with it ?

Comment

Mitigating circumstances? I don't think so unless your GP can somehow agree with you.

I am aware of a fraudster who was working for a well known brand. This fraudster was stealing petty amounts that eventually built up to form a substantial amount. This was to feed a gambling addiction which I believe is recognised as an addiction.

Well, eventually got caught and had to face the consequences including losing the job and criminal prosecution. A true fraudster but with sound mitigating circumstances due to the mentioned addiction and medical history.

Unfortunately, your supermarket is within their rights to include the reason for leaving in the reference and so they should unless there are good reasons to the contrary.

Comment

I think making judgements on other people is something we should not get into unless we know all the issues and what's the saying about glass houses and stones . All I am saying is that we all have secrets and things we regret

Comment

Originally posted by Berniethebolt View Post
          I think making judgements on other people is something we should not get into unless we know all the issues and what's the saying about glass houses and stones . All I am saying is that we all have secrets and things we regret
          Indeed.

However, sometimes we have to deal with the consequences of our actions. However hard.

Corporates really don't care about individual workers.

Moreover, references are supposed to be accurate. Therefore, under the circumstances, including reason for leaving is not wrong.

Imagine if supermarket A gave a satisfactory standard reference to employee Mr Smith when he, in fact had been dismissed for stealing. Then Mr Smith was hired by another supermarket and stole again...

I'm not saying that this is what the OP would do,, but in the above case, if supermarket B later found out that Mr Smith had stolen from supermarket A, they could take legal action for inaccurate reference.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr $quandaŁot View Post

Moreover, references are supposed to be accurate. Therefore, under the circumstances, including reason for leaving is not wrong.

Imagine if supermarket A gave a satisfactory standard reference to employee Mr Smith when he, in fact had been dismissed for stealing. Then Mr Smith was hired by another supermarket and stole again...

I'm not saying that this is what the OP would do,, but in the above case, if supermarket B later found out that Mr Smith had stolen from supermarket A, they could take legal action for inaccurate reference.
            Yes references must be truthful but don't have to tell a life story, it is perfectly permissable for a reference to be Mr X was employed by xxxx from date A to Date B his position on leaving was that of z.

Many companies do that as policy regardless of reason for leaving

Comment

Most investment banks do just that are so concerned about getting sued.

Comment

We are not here to judge, you obviously couldn't work as a criminal lawyer if you fret at the mere mention of 'fraud' or 'stealing'. The crime may well be the same but there's a big difference between depriving a major corporation of some earnings which are likely to be covered by insurance anyway and ripping off little old ladies or, worse still, burglary and mugging which go against the person rather than just the money, at least from a moral if not always a legal, perspective.

As for references, many companies limit themselves to confirming dates of employment for precisely the reasons above. If you don't say either than Mr X is a thief or that he was a wonderful employee, no-one would have any grounds for legal action one way or other. :decision:

You may think stealing is a very serious thing, however, there are much lesser 'offences' that can also constitute gross misconduct, such as posting up examples of your corporate work on a website trying to promote your services independently and having a line buried somewhere where you refer to your employer as your 'client'. Yep! That was gross misconduct! Luckily I managed to get around the reference issue long before I got the COT3 which included an agreed reference, it was nine months after the alleged gross misconduct as the ET process takes forever!

Comment

use to be certain phrase in a reference used by large corporations to state certain degree of problem without stating the actual case, cannot remember now what it was (long time ago), but Personnel manager would know something un to ward!

Comment

Could I cut a deal with the company? I get help from my gp and counselling and slip in the fact I've not got a huge amount of time left on earth. Beg them for a reference that misses out the term dismissed and replaces it for left the company? I am frindly with the people manager.

Comment

I am so sorry if I have missed something , do you have a terminal illness? If this is the case the company should be made aware

Comment

terminal illness??? not mentioned before?

Comment

Originally posted by MIKE770 View Post
                          terminal illness??? not mentioned before?
                          The poster has just said they do not have a huge amount of time left on earth , I am afraid of what that may mean

Comment

I thought I mentioned I have stage 1 liver disease with chronic cirrhosis. It's a silent but deadly disease where at some point my liver will shut down. My best hope is a transplant but that is a very long process and if I have one I'll be very ill for months and on medication for the rest of my life. I have scans every 6 months to check for tumors and that there is no internal bleeding. It's all my fault due to drinking but being alcohol dependant is classed as an illness.y last scan showed my liver is in a very poor state. Does this help me with being dismissed or work providing a reference?

Comment

My one redeeming feature is I've remained sober for 3 years this Wednesday. Something I'm very proud of considering I used to drink every day for around 5 years. I have had therapy but life is a struggle.

Comment

Oops just re read my symptoms and I'm stage 4 not 1. There is no stage 5.

Stage 4: cirrhosis

This is the most severe stage, where bands of scar tissue and clumps of liver cells develop. The liver shrinks and becomes lumpy*(known as cirrhosis).

Cirrhosis*tends to occur after the age of 50-60, following many years of liver inflammation associated with the early stages of the disease. However, this can happen much earlier in some people.

People who have*type 2 diabetes*are at the greatest risk of developing cirrhosis of the liver caused by NAFLD.

The damage caused by cirrhosis is permanent and can't be reversed. Cirrhosis progresses slowly, over many years, gradually causing your liver to stop functioning. NAFLD can also lead to primary*liver cancer*(hepatocellular carcinoma). This is what is known as liver failure. Learn more about*cirrhosis of the liver, including the warning signs.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.

Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to LegalBeagles

Donate with PayPal button

LegalBeagles is a free forum, founded in May 2007, providing legal guidance and support to consumers and SME's across a range of legal areas.

See more
                                See less

Court Claim ?

Guides and Letters

Search and Compare fixed fee legal services and find a solicitor near you.

Find a Law Firm

Working...
                                X