• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.
  • If you need direct help with your employment issue you can contact us at admin@legalbeaglesgroup.com for further assistance. This will give you access to “off-forum” support on a one-to- one basis from an experienced employment law expert for which we would welcome that you make a donation to help towards their time spent assisting on your matter. You can do this by clicking on the donate button in the box below.

I am on a zero hours contract. Can my employer give my work to someone else?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I am on a zero hours contract. Can my employer give my work to someone else?

Hello. I am new to the forum. I am a medic in a private hospital and I am on a zero hours contract. Recently a colleague left the operating department and I was offered a second zero hours contract to cover the role of the colleague who left. The role is non medical. I accepted it because I need the money and it is convenient and fits in with my primary (clinical) role. However, the colleague has now been offered her old job back on a p/t basis and this means that I am not required to do the job when this person wants to do it, even though I am available to cover all of the sessions - I lose out financially. Obviously I will not be paid when the other person is doing the job. None of this was made clear to me when I accepted the second role.

To add insult to injury, the person who left has also been offered work on my ward in an ancillary role. As a qualified clinician I may find myself supported (in my clinical role) by this person who is supposed to have left.

I feel as if I was used as a stop-gap while this person decided whether or not she wished to leave this hospital. The only upside is that the person does not have medical qualifications and cannot take my professional role.

Does anyone know if I am entitled to redress please? I have no written contract. I have never received one despite requesting it.

Thanks for any help.
    Tags: None

Re: I am on a zero hours contract. Can my employer give my work to someone else?

In a nutshell, the answer is you have no right to redress. Zero hours contracts can be short term and where a need is there. You have the right to accept or decline the role and you accepted it.
    You may feel used but I'm afraid you will need to deal with the fact that it will happen with zero hours contracts. Have you looked at other opportunities that might help with the financial issue?
    "Family means that no one gets forgotten or left behind"
    (quote from David Ogden Stiers)

Comment

Re: I am on a zero hours contract. Can my employer give my work to someone else?

I think the Key here is the OP stated they have no written contract - So on that basis, we need to know what hours the OP worked per week.

Either way, without a written contract stating it is a zero hour contract then its a standard contract of employment i.e. Either full time hours or part time hours. Making the hours per week worked by the OP his/her contracted hours.

You should have also been given a contract (written statement of particulars of employment) within 2 months of starting employment as per section 1 of the employment rights act 1996.

So what hours per week did/do you work? are they random, vary in total amount of consistently the same amount or similar per week?
      Please note that this advice is given informally, without liability and without prejudice. Always seek the advice of an insured qualified professional. All my legal and nonlegal knowledge comes from either here (LB),my own personal research and experience and/or as the result of necessity as an Employer and Businessman.

By using my advice in any form, you agreed to waive all rights to hold myself or any persons representing myself of any liability.

If you PM me, make sure to include a link to your thread as I don't give out advice in private. All PMs that are sent in missuse (including but not limited to phishing, spam) of the PM application and/or PMs that are threatening or abusive will be reported to the Site Team and if necessary to the police and/or relevant Authority.

I AM SO GOING TO GET BANNED BY CEL FOR POSTING terrible humour POSTS.

The Governess; 6th March 2012 GRRRRRR

Comment

....No specific hours. My job was meant to be whatever hours I am needed in theatre. I am available but the other person has been given the work I am supposed to do - therefore, I am not needed.

Comment

Originally posted by Doctor Albert View Post
          ....No specific hours. My job was meant to be whatever hours I am needed in theatre. I am available but the other person has been given the work I am supposed to do - therefore, I am not needed.
          I was actually referring to the hours you worked when you were actually doing said role!

As those hours you worked per week would be deemed your contracted hours since you have no written contract stating otherwise. I.e. Stating your on zero hours! Which is why i was asking how many hours you worked per week.

Though if you have a written contract for your current role as a Medic, that would likely support the argument that your 2nd role was also zero hour.
          Please note that this advice is given informally, without liability and without prejudice. Always seek the advice of an insured qualified professional. All my legal and nonlegal knowledge comes from either here (LB),my own personal research and experience and/or as the result of necessity as an Employer and Businessman.

By using my advice in any form, you agreed to waive all rights to hold myself or any persons representing myself of any liability.

If you PM me, make sure to include a link to your thread as I don't give out advice in private. All PMs that are sent in missuse (including but not limited to phishing, spam) of the PM application and/or PMs that are threatening or abusive will be reported to the Site Team and if necessary to the police and/or relevant Authority.

Comment

Originally posted by teaboy2 View Post
            I was actually referring to the hours you worked when you were actually doing said role!

As those hours you worked per week would be deemed your contracted hours since you have no written contract stating otherwise. I.e. Stating your on zero hours! Which is why i was asking how many hours you worked per week.

Though if you have a written contract for your current role as a Medic, that would likely support the argument that your 2nd role was also zero hour.

about 16 hours in theatre and 4 in the professional role, per week.

Comment

Originally posted by Doctor Albert View Post
              about 16 hours in theatre and 4 in the professional role, per week.
              Right, so as you had no written contract for the theatre role, you were effectively employed on a full time contract and contracted to 16hrs approximately per week!

But do you have a contract for your professional role? Because if you do, and if that is a zero hour contract, then there's no point taking this any further to be honest.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.

Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to LegalBeagles

Donate with PayPal button

LegalBeagles is a free forum, founded in May 2007, providing legal guidance and support to consumers and SME's across a range of legal areas.

See more
              See less

Court Claim ?

Guides and Letters

Search and Compare fixed fee legal services and find a solicitor near you.

Find a Law Firm

Working...
              X