• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.
  • If you need direct help with your employment issue you can contact us at admin@legalbeaglesgroup.com for further assistance. This will give you access to “off-forum” support on a one-to- one basis from an experienced employment law expert for which we would welcome that you make a donation to help towards their time spent assisting on your matter. You can do this by clicking on the donate button in the box below.

Question regarding overtime

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question regarding overtime

I just have a quick question regarding overtime at my work.

Background: I'm a supervisor at my work, and have been told by my manager not to allow a certain person. This person isn't very good at their job, and that's the reason the manager has said this.

However this person has never been picked up on this, and the manager has never spoken to this person to express concerns.

I'm now left telling this person they aren't allowed over time, which is left on the wall on a first come first served basis.

My question is whether they are allowed to do this. It is unfair on me having to refuse someone overtime with the only reason being the manager doesn't like them, and they are now unable to get the overtime. Despite the fact they have never had a disciplinary or even an informal talk on this.
    Tags: None

Re: Question regarding overtime

Hi there

It's an awkward one for you but they should not discriminate anyone for wanting to work overtime or choose one over the other as such.
    However in some companies as I expect you will be aware, it can work by a shift rota, like for example, 3 shifts worked, nights, mornings/afternoons, so if there is overtime on the weekend, the morning/day shift has the first option,if they need more they will then ask on the afternoon shift, so this is fair to all as this shift comes round to them.

Check this out here too x

https://www.gov.uk/overtime-your-rig...lsory-overtime

Comment

Ah thanks

'However, their employer can’t discriminate against anyone, eg by stopping some employees from working overtime while letting others do so.'

i guess that answers it. The overtime goes up randomly throughout the day, and the employees are only contracted for 4 hours hours, so it's always luck as to who gets there first.

i was more concerned about not letting the one person have the overtime. I think I'll have a word with the manager, they either need to have a word with this person, and try and help them get better. Or just put them on an official warning/ counselling so there is an actual reason to not allow them the shifts.

Comment

Your welcome x

Sounds like your on the right track about having a word with your manager, hopefully all will sort out, good luck x

Comment

Originally posted by Jordanh517 View Post
          Ah thanks

'However, their employer can’t discriminate against anyone, eg by stopping some employees from working overtime while letting others do so.'
          You are possibly missinterpretating the link. Employers can discriminate against employees, providing the reason is not because of a protected charactoristic (race, religion, sexuality, disability).
          It may not be good management or fair in the general rather than the legal sense but it isn't against the law.

You are right to raise the matter with your manager as they seem to be avoiding the issue, rather than dealing with it.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.

Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to LegalBeagles

Donate with PayPal button

LegalBeagles is a free forum, founded in May 2007, providing legal guidance and support to consumers and SME's across a range of legal areas.

See more
          See less

Court Claim ?

Guides and Letters

Search and Compare fixed fee legal services and find a solicitor near you.

Find a Law Firm

Working...
          X