• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.
  • If you need direct help with your employment issue you can contact us at admin@legalbeaglesgroup.com for further assistance. This will give you access to “off-forum” support on a one-to- one basis from an experienced employment law expert for which we would welcome that you make a donation to help towards their time spent assisting on your matter. You can do this by clicking on the donate button in the box below.

My current job has been offered to a colleague

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My current job has been offered to a colleague

Dear all,

The situation at work has been unstable lately to say the least. The owner has dismissed the CEO, and there have been sweeping organisational changes in a very short time frame. The team I lead has suffered with the change, as the environment has become extremely stressful and the team is thoroughly demoralised.

Today one of my team members (my No. 2) resigned because of the situation. My team member was called in by my boss, HR and the owner and literally harassed for over an hour into not going. As part of their strategy they have offered him my position as team leader, mentioning to him (and requiring his confidentiality) that the plan was to "replace me" as I don't fit the new style.

My colleague asked for a few days to think about it, and came immediately to tell me, as his loyalty is to the team and he feels what the company is trying to do is highly immoral.

My question is, what is my legal standing, when my job is being offered to another member of staff and yet nothing has been officially (or otherwise) been mentioned to me? I have received neither informal or formal warnings ever whilst at this company. I feel my position in the company has been made untenable and I find it difficult to be able to do my job effectively.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Regards,
    drfonz
    Tags: None

Re: My current job has been offered to a colleague

Assuming that the job description remains the same when the other person takes over, it will be impossible for them to claim that you are redundant. Watch out for bogus disciplinaries designed to railroad you out the door.

Comment

Originally posted by enquirer View Post
      Assuming that the job description remains the same when the other person takes over, it will be impossible for them to claim that you are redundant. Watch out for bogus disciplinaries designed to railroad you out the door.

Sounds Familiar from the 80s!

Comment

Might The Fonz claim constructive dismissal?

Comment

Originally posted by CleverClogs View Post
          Might The Fonz claim constructive dismissal?
          Possibly, as any act by the employer which is calculated or likely to damage the implied duty of trust will suffice.

However, constructive unfair dismissal has a notoriously low chance of success at Employment Tribunal. (About 3%, I believe).

&, of course, we do not yet know whether the OP has the required qualifying period of continuous employment.
          CAVEAT LECTOR

This is only my opinion - "Opinions are made to be changed --or how is truth to be got at?" (Byron)

You and I do not see things as they are. We see things as we are.
          Cohen, Herb

There is danger when a man throws his tongue into high gear before he
          gets his brain a-going.
          Phelps, C. C.

"They couldn't hit an elephant at this distance!"
          The last words of John Sedgwick

Comment

I've been employed there for well over three years if that helps. I am now quite disheartened to do my job as I know their intention is to get rid of me. Would I be better off walking away? It just feels like they'd be getting away with what they want. But conversely, I don't want to work for an employer who would use such tactics on their staff!

Comment

Hi drfonz (& btw, welcome to Legal Beagles),

It helps a great deal.

Provided that you have a contract of service (normally employed) as opposed to a contract for services (ie self-employed), you have full employment rights & if applicable you are eligible for redundancy payment.
              If it were me, I would be be gathering evidence to use when necessary; I don't think I'd just walk away at the moment.
              However, that decision is of course for you to make.
              While you are in a position to do so, though, try & obtain copies of any company disciplinary/grievance procedures & redundancy information.
              CAVEAT LECTOR

This is only my opinion - "Opinions are made to be changed --or how is truth to be got at?" (Byron)

Cohen, Herb

gets his brain a-going.
              Phelps, C. C.

Comment

Originally posted by drfonz View Post
                I am now quite disheartened to do my job as I know their intention is to get rid of me. Would I be better off walking away? [...] But conversely, I don't want to work for an employer who would use such tactics on their staff!
                It's unfortunate, but it seems that you have answered your own question.

Now may be the time to cut a deal. Offer to leave, but insist on severance pay and a first class reference. Give them to understand that you know what's going on, and that if they try to railroad you, you will cause no end of trouble.

Comment

Thanks for the welcome! I'm finding the forum incredibly useful and reassuring

And yes, I am a full employee of the company (not self employed).

Some people are suggesting to confront HR and reveal that I know what they have done in order to negotiate a way out. Is this advisable? Or would it weaken my position?

Kind regards,
                  drfonz

Comment

Thanks enquirer!

It looks like your advise coincides with what some close friends are suggesting I do.

I have never had to negotiate severance pay before. This is all alien to me, and that alone makes it the harder as I have never in my career been put in such an unsustainable position.

Regards
                    drfonz

Comment

Interesting to see how others approach the problem.

Whatever you decide, it's good to know that you are in the 'driving seat'
                      CAVEAT LECTOR

Cohen, Herb

gets his brain a-going.
                      Phelps, C. C.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.

Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to LegalBeagles

Donate with PayPal button

LegalBeagles is a free forum, founded in May 2007, providing legal guidance and support to consumers and SME's across a range of legal areas.

See more
                      See less

Court Claim ?

Guides and Letters

Search and Compare fixed fee legal services and find a solicitor near you.

Find a Law Firm

Working...
                      X